Explosions

The Roommate

It really was okay although Jiyoon couldn’t stop flinching once in a while. Chunji kept her back gently, trying to calm her down while convincing her that everything’s gonna be okay. Soon, Jiyoon was getting used to the explosions’ banging sounds. She really thanked the earplugs for holding it well. She grabbed her camera and started taking photos of the fireworks and the boys’ candid pics.

Jiyoon was giggling at Niel’s stupid expression on the preview screen when the biggest fireworks started exploding one by one, which she didn't expect before. She squealed her lungs out and jerked on her seat. The shock she got made her dropped her camera for real that time. Fortunately it landed with a low thud on her lap.

The consecutive banging explosions dropped her heart, made the earplugs completely had no use then. Her brain stopped working as the panic attack striked her. Chunji who was sitting on her right finally noticed her squeals and started panicking as well. He kept asking if she was okay but since her brain had stopped working, she really couldn’t respond him. The other guys heard the small chaos Jiyoon and Chunji made.

The fifth explosion which was the biggest of the biggest fireworks that night, wrecked Jiyoon to the smallest crumble. Her reflex threw herself curled up onto Changjo’s lap who had been sitting awkwardly on her left, watching the scene. Her arms were hugging her head, trying her best to reduce the banging sounds. Changjo was flustered to death by her sudden action, although he knew it was her reflex to save herself but still, his heart wasn’t being any better than Jiyoon’s dropped heart.

The other guys’ faces were stiffen, worried if Changjo got mad on Jiyoon and how he would react. Their fingers crossed, wishing Changjo could read the sticky situation. Changjo stared blankly at the helpless Jiyoon on his lap before scanning his hyungs faces one by one with the what-the-heck-should-I-do expression. Meanwhile, tears started forming in Jiyoon’s eyes. She had forgotten the last time she cried. And of course, she completely had no idea that she was crying on Changjo’s lap.

“Hug her!” Ricky mouthed, he couldn’t stand Changjo’s innocence. By the time L.Joe noticed Ricky did that, his gaze moved to Chunji. He worried how his response would be. Chunji gulped. “Go. Ppali,” he mouthed to Changjo as well. The confused maknae nodded nervously before leaning his body down on Jiyoon to cover her up by his hug.

Jiyoon started sobbing. She was totally soulless from the biggest shock she ever got in the past few years. She felt a hug wrapping around her body, her softly. She didn’t even spare her time to recognize nor remember who it was. All she was thinking was whether she could recover or not. To be exact, whether she had the strength to walk back to the dorm or not.

The flustered guys were just staring at Changjo and Jiyoon who looked like had been curled up into one bigger ball since Changjo was burying his face on Jiyoon. He seemed like whispering something to her, maybe trying to ease her stress level. Niel’s hand was grasping on CAP’s jacket while his other hand was grasping on Ricky’s jeans, staring anxiously on the ‘couple’, worried whether Changjo succeeded or not. Meanwhile L.Joe was worried more on his partner in crime, Lee Chanhee. He scooted closer to him and sneakily patting his back. Chunji was biting his lip, even himself had no idea what he should do other than feeling the most guilty on Jiyoon for forcing her coming to the fireworks festival. He told her he's the one responsible yet he couldn't do anything when the worst happened to her.

The fireworks were still exploding on the other side, but as time went by, it went less and less before it finally stopped. Jiyoon’s heart beat slower as the fireworks explosion started fading. Her tears couldn’t stop yet, wetting her hands like it had rained on them. Her body was still shivering. Changjo’s hand was still her to her unknown.

“Shouldn’t we go?” CAP broke the ice, glancing at the others.

“But how?” Niel asked in disbelief. He, and the others except CAP, thought it was impossible for her to recover and get up that fast.

“Changjo-ya,” Chunji poked the youngest whom then raising his head to see him, “try talking to her.” Changjo nodded on Chunji’s words before burying his head again on Jiyoon.

“Why don’t you do it?” L.Joe whispered.

“It’s okay. It’s easier for him to do it.” Chunji shrugged.

“Don’t you jealous?” L.Joe asked again, wanting Chunji to bite the bait.

Chunji forced a smile. “Why should I?” L.Joe rolled his eyes, giving up.

“Jiyoon-ah. It's me Changjo.” Changjo gave his first attempt, whispering behind her ear. “Do you feel better now?” Jiyoon nodded her head weakly. She still hadn’t got the strength to speak yet. “It’s over already, do you think you can get up and walk?” Changjo asked in the softest voice he could make. If Jiyoon was in her normal state, maybe she would have jerked up and ran away when she heard his unusual voice. Jiyoon shook her head that time which Changjo acknowledged well since he could feel her lifeless upper body lying on his lap. “Okay, don’t worry,” he told her before raising his head up to the guys.

“I don’t think she could get up and walk,” Changjo mouthed, making signs as well.

“What should we do?” Ricky asked.

“There’s no other way than lifting her up bridal style all the way or give her at least a piggyback maybe,” CAP replied.

“But the walk from here to the station plus from the station to the dorm are quite far,” L.Joe reminded.

“And I think if we’re taking turns it would be bothersome more for both the lifter and her,” Niel added.

“We couldn’t take taxis, could we?” Ricky made sure. The others shook their head hopelessly.

“Should we check in to nearby hotel?” Chunji asked, hesitating.

“Gah, you wish. Look at the people swarming here. It’s impossible to find a vacant room,” CAP scoffed. Changjo was watching the hyungs discussing while Jiyoon’s back still.

“Couldn’t you give her a ride on your back, hyung?” Niel asked CAP. “Unfortunately I haven’t yet recovered completely from my injury. I can’t lift heavy things yet.” He showed a sorry grin.

If only I could do it, Chunji cursed in his mind.

“I’ll do it.” Changjo cut the talk. The others’ heads turned towards him, shocked yet amazed.

“Are you sure?” Chunji couldn’t help to worried on him. Changjo nodded slowly.

“Go tell her then,” told CAP.

Sorry for you, Chanhee-ya, L.Joe bit his lip.

Changjo took a deep breath before leaning his body closer to Jiyoon again. “Jiyoon-ah, I’ll piggyback you back to the dorm,” he explained in the slowest speed. Jiyoon couldn’t respond another way than nodding weakly. She was grateful already just to have one of the guys volunteering to take her back to the dorm, although it had to be Changjo. She promised herself to think hard later how she should pay it off for him. “I’ll help you getting up now,” Changjo warned before starting to support her limp body up to her sitting position. The others who had been watching rushingly moved towards the two to help Changjo getting her up.

Jiyoon’s face got revealed for the first time after getting buried for almost an hour. It was red and swollen because of her sobs. The most important, she really looked lifeless, like her soul had flown far away to heaven to meet the other angels. Chunji was the one startled the most, guilt and regrets covering him up. He didn’t dare to touch, even moving closer to Jiyoon. Changjo got up and squatted, waiting for the others helping Jiyoon to move onto his back.

The guys finally managed to land Jiyoon on Changjo’s back. Meanwhile Chunji found another way to help, he decided to pack her things up. It’s the best he could do than standing uselessly. “Hold on tight,” Changjo whispered to Jiyoon who was then leaning her cheek on his shoulder. He got up slowly after getting a nod and feeling her arms around him went tighter.

“Careful careful,” Ricky warned worriedly.

They were walking in silence all along. CAP and Ricky walked in front of Changjo to make a way for him although the streets weren’t as packed as before, while Chunji, L.Joe, and Niel stayed in the back to look after Jiyoon. Jiyoon’s eyes were closed, but she’s not sleeping. She kept taking deep breaths and letting out heavy sighs, added by the shivers which hadn’t yet stopped. “Should we take you to the hospital?” Changjo asked her as they hopped into the train. “Your breathing and shivers scare me, really.” The others were watching anxiously. Jiyoon shook her head slowly, still with her closed eyes. “Okay.” Changjo sighed.

“He did well, huh?” L.Joe whispered to Chunji who had been staring at the ‘couple’ with regrets in his eyes.

“Yeah,” he answered L.Joe, uninterested.

“Jealous now? You’re the one telling me it’s all fine,” L.Joe scoffed.

No, I shouldn’t be jealous. I should thank Changjo instead. He hates her at the first place, doesn’t he? There’s no way they made an affair, right? Chunji tried to convince himself. I hope I’m right.

The next problem they had to face was that Jiyoon’s bed was the upper one. Changjo couldn’t lie her on the unoccupied lower bed of her bunk since it had no bedding. Meanwhile there’s no hope on the sleepyhead duo’s messy-as-hell beds which were the lower beds as well. Leaving Changjo’s neat bed as the only option left. Changjo lay her on his bed carefully after getting affirmative nods from the hyungs.

“Do you want a drink?” Niel offered. Still wasn’t strong enough to speak, Jiyoon gave a nod to him. Niel soon left to the pantry. They were sitting on the carpet when Niel came back with a glass of water and helped her drink it before lay her back down again.

“What do you do when this kind of situation happened?” Ricky asked Jiyoon, but she shook her head.

“You haven’t experienced this before?” L.Joe tried to translate her gesture into words. She nodded.

“Ah..” Ricky nodded as well. “No wonder you’re that bummed.”

Chunji was hugging his knees, separating himself by sitting at the farthest end. CAP was just staring at Jiyoon, trying to hold his sleepiness. Changjo took a place beside CAP, tapping his fingers nervously on his thigh for no reason.

“G-guys.” Jiyoon voice cracked.

“Yes?” the six guys replied in unison.

“You may sleep,” she whispered.

“But you-“ Chunji couldn’t help to stay silent anymore.

“I’m fine here,” she whispered again, trying her best to smile.

“Just call us if you need something.” CAP tapped her hand. She showed her weak smile again. “Just scream or whatever, kay?” he told her again. She nodded surely.

The guys then bid her good night one by one before scattering to their own bed, Changjo was the last. “Good night.” He was standing by the bed.

“Good night.” Changjo was about to walk away when Jiyoon called his name in a whisper. “Where are you going to sleep?” she was sorry for taking his place over.

“Don’t mind me.” Changjo smiled a bit just to calm her.

“Can you just help me moving to my own bed?” Jiyoon dared herself to ask.

“I think you should just stay here first, it would be easier for you if you wanna go to the toilet later,” said Changjo.

“Ah…you’re right. Is it really okay for me to stay here? You..you can use my bed up there.” Jiyoon was trying to give anything for exchange.

“It’s okay, don’t worry. And thanks, there are 7 beds available for me actually.” He shrugged, referring on sharing beds with the others. “You should sleep. Good night.” Changjo then left the room instead.

He really likes being outside. Jiyoon sighed, pulling up the blanket and bid herself good night.

******

Jiyoon squinted her eyes when she felt the sun beam shining into their room. The noise from the busy street could be heard vaguely. She took a deep breath. Why does it smell like men’s perfume? she ruffled her hair, confused. Ah, it’s Changjo’s bed I forgot.

CAP was still sleeping soundly on the bed across. So was L.Joe on the bed behind her. Apparently they’re all still sleeping as usual. Jiyoon made the conclusion as she saw Niel’s leg tucking out from the bed above CAP.

Jiyoon was holding onto the bed post, trying to get up slowly. “W-what are you doing there?” she was startled to see Changjo lying on the carpet with his phone up in front of his face, probably playing game.

“I was just doing small exercises.” He yawned.

“Where did you sleep last night?” her curiosity went on.

“On your bed,” he answered without looking at her. He lied, he actually had been sleeping on the carpet. He was just checking his phone when Jiyoon caught him there.

“Have you had your breakfast?” Jiyoon asked him out of nowhere. She cursed herself for sounding so caring on him.

Changjo and Jiyoon were sitting on the dining area, eating their cereal silently. It wasn’t any difference than eating their breakfasts alone since they didn’t interact much. Changjo took Jiyoon’s offer to have their breakfast together again. Well, he took the chance just to be with her actually. “So…I’m sorry for bothering you so much last night.” Jiyoon started hesitantly.

“That’s okay.” Changjo had never been good with words.

“I really owe you.” Jiyoon bit her lip, she was still scared of him somehow.

“It’s nothing. Just forget it.” Changjo shrugged. He kept avoiding her eyes, preventing from staring at them with his starry eyes. But his actions didn’t come out well to Jiyoon.

She was taken aback by his coldness. “Well, thank you.” The talk ended by her words.

Silence. Jiyoon was holding her glass of milk, enjoying its warmth diffused into her nervous palms. She was watching Changjo eating some toasts he just made after finishing his bowl of cereal. She sipped the milk once in a while. “Want some?” Changjo offered her the toasts.

“No thanks.” Jiyoon smiled politely at him.

“So, about the incident last night, why was it okay at first?” Changjo tried to start another talk.

“I…I don’t know. The fireworks were getting bigger, weren’t they? I..felt that way. I could deal with the first ones, but then the earplugs couldn’t handle the bigger ones,” Jiyoon explained, staring at her glass.

Why did you ‘search’ for my protection instead of Chunji who was beside you as well? Changjo stared at her who was busy looking down on her half emptied glass. “What did you feel when it striked you?” he wasn’t sure with the word he chose.

Jiyoon shivered a bit as she rewinded the scenes in her head. “Blank.” She stared blankly. Changjo was waiting for her to explain more. “I totally had no idea what I did after the loudest bang.”

You curled on my lap, I was hugging and you after that. You don’t remember it, do you? “Do you remember when I said how your breathing and shivers scared me?” Jiyoon looked up at him, nodding slowly. “They really did scare me,” Changjo added.

“I’m sorry,” Jiyoon trailed off.

“Ya, what are you sorry for? It wasn’t your fault,” Changjo chuckled awkwardly. He hoped her to laugh along with him but she didn’t.

Maybe it’s only Chunji who could make you laugh.

Changjo sat on the carpet right away as they went back into the bedroom. “You can have your bed back,” Jiyoon whispered, not to wake the rest up. “I’m strong enough to climb up and down now,” she answered his questioning look. He just nodded a few times before moving to his own bed.

God, so this is how heaven smells like? Changjo’s heart beat faster as he landed his face on his pillow. The sweet scent of her. No, Jonghyun. Stop. Stop squealing like a fangirl. The scent really took part on making him fell asleep in a split second, paying off the lack of sleep he got from sleeping on the flat hard surface of the floor. For her.