Persisted

The Roommate

Chunji couldn't sleep during the night before. He spent the night staring at Jiyoon in the bed across. You're not mine anymore. He clenched his eyes shut as he let out a heavy sigh. Funny, huh? His throat soon was getting dried out from holding back his tears. He kept pretending he's strong enough to accept the fact but he wasn't. He sighed again.

 

He was still staring at the sleeping beauty who had fallen deep in her sleep.

 

"I was mad when you played me here back then."

 

Even if I was an atheist I would swear to God that I never meant to play you. Why are you so skeptical about me? Am I that bad?

 

"You kissed me with with all your desire and you easily said you're joking."

 

Chunji gulped. There goes his biggest mistake. It wasn't her fault to be mad. She had the right to be mad.

 

You're so dumb, Lee Chanhee. He ruffled his hair in frustration as he clenched his eyes again, preventing his tears to stream down on his face.

 

Chunji regretted his step for reflexively throwing jokes to hide his embarrassment back then. He was too conscious for his pride.

 

Regrets come later, indeed.

 

He sighed for the umpteenth time as he drowned deeper into his thoughts.

 

Don't you have any special feelings on me?

 

"I do like you. But I never see you that way."

 

Then why were you that mad when I said I was joking after I kissed you? Were you disappointed knowing it was a joke? When actually it wasn't?

 

You love me, do you?

 

You love me, right?

 

I know you love me.

 

"But I never see you that way."

 

Really? Not even in a split second?

 

"You'll always be my cute Chanhee."

 

But will I always be totally yours? Yours for real? Not just your cute Chanhee?

 

"I don't love you that way, Lee Chanhee. Deal with it for a while, okay?"

 

For a while. You're seeking for justifications to finally open your heart for me, aren't you? Stop battling against yourself. Just admit you have that feelings for me.

 

"God later could punish me by making you as my future husband. Who knows."

 

God knows best, you know. You're implicitly wishing for me to be your husband, aren't you? Who knows? God does.

 

You kissed me back, remember?

 

"Heck no. I was just being kind. Count it as my apology."

 

Really? You did want it. It didn't have anything to do with apologies.

 

"Our last kiss, remember. Last."

 

Only God knows. How if God granted my wish? God knows best, right?

 

You'll then find the justification to stop living in denial and love me for real.

 

******

 

Meanwhile on the other side of the room, Changjo was still awake as well. It wasn't just Chunji whose mind was bugged by things. So was Changjo. He was recalling his talk with Jiyoon to match it with what just happened.

The interactions between Chunji and Jiyoon he had seen that night made him started doubting her feelings on Chunji. He suddenly worried that she wasn't really serious with her words about him. The happiness he got after knowing the fact about them had been gradually fading slowly but surely.

So was Changjo's confidence on getting her.

He couldn't stop thinking on every probabilities God might offer. Remembering his own case at the start, hatred most likely to be turned into the opposite. And he had proved it. He knew what it means for the new case, Chunji and Jiyoon. No, Jiyoon didn't hate Chunji, he knew it. And that's actually had nothing to do with his speculation.

But he's worried by her statement for not liking Chunji that way. She could end up falling for him, couldn't she? And it's the most likely thing after what had happened lately.

She had experienced it. She had experienced a relationship with Chunji, although it's fake. She might miss it in the future. No matter how annoyed she was for having Chunji too close with her, no matter how dull her feelings for him, she might miss those moments. She might miss having him sticking to her all along. She might miss his sincere caring side for her. Just for her.

He was then questioning another possibilities.

How if I get her?

He couldn't imagine how it would be. It might be fine, just fine, for Jiyoon and him. But Chunji? Jiyoon and Chunji? Or Chunji and him?

And Teen Top.

They all knew how much Chunji loved her. What they didn't was that Changjo did too. He was tired living in denial back then, before he admitted that he had fallen for her. Telling himself to let her go for Chunji, for the sake of Teen Top, was just like telling himself to go die.

He knew well how he preserved Teen Top's brotherhood. As well as he knew that moving on from Jiyoon was something impossible for him.

And he's worried of what the others might seen him as, how they would react on knowing the fact that Jiyoon was then Changjo's.

It's just a dilemma to him.

She's not even yours, Jonghyun.

Changjo snorted at the real fact. He mentally mocked his own self for thinking too far.

But he couldn't stop thinking far. The thought of his family suddenly crossed through his mind.

He sighed as he remembered his dad. It's just too much for him to handle.

It's a massive joke. I couldn't.

He balled up his fist, gathering up his anger to the tip of his fingers.

Call me selfish, but no matter what would happen, I'm going.