M.I.A.

The Roommate

Changjo clenched his teeth as the wet cotton ball his abs. His sleepiness had gone away because of the pain. He treated his own bruises as fast as he could, just to end the pain immediately. He cursed between his teeth, not knowing how else he should let out his frustrating pain. He held his breath and the cotton ball once again in one go. He smothered his mouth to lower his painful scream. He slowly exhaled, avoiding to inflate his stomach roughly. Tears fell down on his face again. It’s so hard for him to breathe, his unwell mind even got the idea to kill his ownself so that he didn’t need to breathe anymore. Moreover, it could end his problems also.

His left hand was then the cotton ball onto his bruised right fist, with his clenched teeth still. It’s not because of the pain from his fist, it’s from his abs. The third drunkard’s stomp on him was quite brutal despite his half awake senses. Changjo went to the bathroom, bringing along the equipment. He looked at his reflection in the mirror. His jaw lines and cheekbones were darkened, sure enough they would be completely black and blue in a few hours. Some slight cuts on his mouth’s tips also could be seen, but what caught his attention was his swollen eyes he got from crying. Funny how he beat three men yet he cried from the pain, which doubled or maybe tripled by the incident between Jiyoon and him.

He started treating the bruises on his face while staring at his reflection, thinking. He’s worried on what he should do after. He couldn’t get back to the dorm with those bruises, but he couldn’t stay where he’s at for days either. If he went back to the hostel, his hyungs would question everything. He really didn’t want to bother himself making stupid excuses.

It’s impossible for him to be missing for days without any notices to the hyungs. First, they would create another ruckus Changjo had to solve. Probably asking every person they met around the block if they saw the maknae. The worst, they could call his family. It was the least thing he ever wanted them to do. Second, there seemed no reasonable excuses he could make since he left the dorm without bringing another things than his phone and his wallet which were already inside his jeans. Going home for a while? He didn’t bring his passport with him and he didn’t want to meet his family either. There’s no other friends of him he could trust than Teen Top hyungs. Moreover, Jiyoon could tell the hyungs back at the dorm about what actually happened right before he vanished. And back to the first case, he really didn’t want to make excuses. Although it’s kind of necessary for him to do so.

There’s actually one person he could trust the most. Ricky. He’s sure Ricky would gladly help him. But asking for his help also meant to be translated as explaining everything that happened. And he could make Changjo’s already sticky situation stickier than ever by questioning further. If Ricky’s senses were good enough, he would notice Changjo’s feeling on Jiyoon.

Changjo went out the bathroom. He flinched as he lay himself on the bed, still going on with the decisive thoughts. He had made the decision, it’s to sleep first and think again later. His troubled mind was shut up as he shut his eyes closed.

******

“Where’s Changjo?” asked CAP as the remaining guys were having their breakfasts. Jiyoon was still sleeping soundly on her bed after what had happened to her in the midnight.

L.Joe glanced around, finally noticed that Changjo hadn’t been there all along. “Showering, maybe?”

“I just went back from the bathroom, I don’t think I saw him there,” Niel informed.

Ricky felt something’s unusual with Changjo’s absence that morning. He just got that weird feeling. “His bed was already empty when I woke hyungs up, wasn’t it?” he asked rhetorically.

Chunji clicked his tongue. “Perhaps his mood swings had taken him down the streets going somewhere alone as usual.”

“But it’s still early,” CAP replied.

“He’s an early riser, remember?” Chunji scoffed. He was getting annoyed by Changjo’s demeanor lately. “Just let him be.”

******

Changjo’s body automatically woke up at 8 in the morning no matter how late he went to sleep. He closed his eyes again as he saw the unusual surrounding, thinking that he might still dreaming before he remembered checking into the hotel he was at. He grunted when he unconsciously rolled to his side, causing his abs to land on his arm. The pain woke him up completely.

With much effort he reached the phone and called the room service to deliver him the breakfast. He even asked him to bring along the master key so he didn’t have to bother himself painfully getting up and walked to the door. In just a few minutes, the servant really did as what he had told him. It was the bellboy who accompanied him before.

Changjo spent his breakfast time while watching the TV, the morning cartoons. Recalling the good old times. His childish side had never gone. He rarely laughed, but he laughed in that painful morning. It’s already beyond the maximum level of frustration he could handle if so. He was holding his laughter to cause another pain on his abs when he felt his phone vibrated. Ricky texted him, asking where he was. That’s when he realized he hadn’t made the decision yet. Cursing, he turned off the TV and started squeezing his brain again without replying Ricky’s text first.

******

Jiyoon climbed down her bed and glanced around the empty room. She opened the door, taken aback by the bright face right in front of her. “Good morning, sleeping beauty,” Chunji greeted her.

“Get out of my way," she mumbled as she pushed him back, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

“You rarely woke up this late, what time did you go to sleep last night?” Chunji tailed her as she walked down the hallway to the dining area. His question reminded her again of what happened the night before. Was it real? Or it’s just my nightmare?

“I forgot,” answered her coldly.

“Harsh.” It’s Niel commenting as he passed by the two.

“Ya!” Chunji and Jiyoon yelled in unison. Jiyoon even stopped on her track and turned her body just to eye Niel who was walking away, chuckling.

Jiyoon was spacing out while having her breakfast with Chunji in front of her, watching. “Something’s bothering your mind?” guessed him.

The terrible feelings from the incident were still in her. “Uh…” She looked down on her plate.

Suddenly Jiyoon felt something poked her side. She turned her head to see Jane was standing before her. “Jane!” Jiyoon greeted her excitedly, but her face soon darkened as she remember there’s Chunji alongside to be the greatest object for Jane to again.

“How’s it going?” Jane ruffled Jiyoon’s hair.

“Great.” Jiyoon faked a grin. Chunji was just watching the two girls cluelessly.

“So, your date’s going well?” she winked, teasing Jiyoon.

“Ya! It’s not like we’re dating!” Jiyoon slapped her upper arm.

“Well, enjoy your breakfast date.” Jane slapped her arm back and walked away to get her own breakfast. Jiyoon rolled her eyes at her. “See you around, dear!”

“What were you talking about?” Chunji asked curiously.

“Girls’ talk.” Jiyoon tucked out her tongue playfully.

“Weren’t you two mentioning something like dates?” Chunji wasn’t pleased by her answer.

“I asked her what date she’s going back home.” She fooled him. “So, are you guys going out today?” Jiyoon changed the topic.

“Yup, the five of us are planning to do our very own city tour,” said Chunji, stirring his tea.

“Five?” Jiyoon furrowed her eyebrows, not sure if he did the right counting.

“We haven’t seen Changjo around. That guy is really –“ he paused to sigh. “Maybe he’s already wandering somewhere on his own.” He shrugged.

Jiyoon gulped. The scenes started flashing back one by one in her mind. She remember how hard she landed her slap on Changjo’s cheek, even she could still feel a slight pain on her palm. She didn’t remember hearing his steps walking behind her. She didn’t take a look back at him either. It was only the sound of her steps walking to the hostel. She didn’t hear his steps. It was just only hers in the quiet alley.

Jiyoon didn’t sleep right away when she went back on her bed. She was crying silently for a while before falling into her sleep about an hour after she arrived. And during that, she’s sure enough she didn’t hear Changjo’s arrival. The door was never being opened again until she fell asleep. The thought of him sleeping in the common room was something impossible since he knew how irritated the staff would be. Where did he go?


A/N:

Omg why did I turn Chunji into such an antagonist? I'm sorry #TeamChunji! I accidentally did it! x(