Painkiller

The Roommate

Jiyoon woke up to Chunji’s bright face grinning ear to ear at her. “Dammit you shocked me!” she pulled her pillow from under her head and shoved it onto his face. Chunji half climbed to her bed, again standing on her bed’s stairs.

“Let’s have breakfast together, girlfriend,” Chunji chuckled. Jiyoon had a look at others’ beds, they’re still sleeping soundly on their own. She was just about to talk to him when he had already stole a kiss on her lips.

“Can you stop stealing kisses?!” she snarled in a whisper, worried if she might wake them up. “You rarely up this early,” she said after checking her watch.

“It’s because I want to have an early breakfast with my lovely girl,” answered him, smiling.

Jiyoon rolled her eyes, snorting. “Fine.” She kissed his cheek. Chunji then hopped down, followed by the half awake Jiyoon climbing down her bed.

 

“Say ah.” Chunji shoved his spoonful of cereal to Jiyoon, getting a stare from the girl instead. “Ya, why is it so hard just to open your mouth?” he whined.

Jiyoon opened half heartedly and ate the cereal he fed her. “You’re too sweet, Chanhee.” She shyly smiled.

“But you’re sweeter.” He smirked.

“Gah! You’re relapsing again!” she pinched his hand, peeved.

“Your friend is leaving.” Chunji nodded his head towards the receptionist’s desk, making Jiyoon followed his gaze right away. She could see Jane with her friends there, ready to leave with their backpacks on. Chunji rolled his eyes at Jiyoon who left him without any words to go to Jane.

“Jane!” The called tall girl turned. “You’re leaving already?” asked Jiyoon, disappointed.

“Hi dear!” she pulled Jiyoon into her hug. “I’m departing this afternoon.” She’s sullen. The girl glanced towards the dining area, finding Chunji sitting alone with two bowl of cereals in front of him. “So, your dates going well?”

Jiyoon’s face flushed. She just shrugged at Jane. “You chose him in the end, eh?” Jane laughed lightly.

Jiyoon’s eyes widened at her words. “Chose him what?! There’s no options from the start!” she argued.

“That guy? Whom piggyback you back then?” Jane raised her eyebrows, trying to remember.

Jiyoon rolled her eyes. “He’s my friend, please.” She hissed. “And he’s never been on any options in my life.”

“Well, good to see your dates going well with him.” Jane referred to Chunji. “What’s his name?”

“Chunji,” told Jiyoon.

“And the other guy?” questioned Jane again.

“The guy you like? It’s Minsoo.” Jiyoon innocently answered.

“No, the one whom piggyback you,” Jane emphasized.

“Gosh, what’s with him?! It’s Changjo,” she muttered.

“I just want to know, is that wrong?” Jane grinned teasingly.

“Well no, but you annoyed me somehow,” Jiyoon sighed.

“Jane, come on.” One of her friends called her as they had finished with their check-out process.

“It’s time for me to go, Jiyoon. Contact me later, I hope we can meet again.” Jane hugged her again, tighter.

Jiyoon smiled at her new friend, half hearted to let her go. She just nodded silently at her. “I’m looking forward for your wedding invitation. I’ll try to come if you do invite me.” Jane smirked.

“Ya! I’m not getting married that soon! I want to enjoy the rush of my young blood first!” Jiyoon exclaimed.

“Whatever, I’m serious with my words. Don’t forget me, okay?” she winked.

“I won’t.” Jiyoon smiled warmly before hugging her for the last time. “Have a safe flight!”

“Wedding invitation!” shouted Jane while walking away with her friends.

“Whatever!” Jiyoon shook her head at her stubborn friend.

 

“Why so noisy about wedding?” Chunji chuckled as Jiyoon sat down in front of him again.

Jiyoon pouted. “Just a stubborn girl named Jane who asked me to send her my wedding invitation soon,” she dissed. “Just please I’m still 20!” she half shouted, way too annoyed. “Well yeah I’m turning 21 soon but I’m too young to get married!”

“But my age is enough to get married.” Chunji smirked teasingly.

“Ya! Ya! I know where this would end up at!” she eyed him, threatening. “Shut up, okay?”

“Like I would do so,” he scoffed.

Jiyoon bent forward and kissed his lips, sealing it completely. It was her first time to kiss him on the lips. “Now shut up.” She stared at him who stared back at her blankly, dazed again with her sudden moves.

You never stop and never fail to surprise me, Kim Jiyoon.

******

Jiyoon’s phone rang when she was hanging out with Teen Top on the day after. Her eyes widened at the caller ID, it’s her dad. She had no idea what he’d say that time and how she should greet him either. Excited? Act normal? Or gloomy? She answered the call, waiting for her dad to talk first.

Hello Jiyoon-ah!” he greeted her happily from the line across. Jiyoon let out a relieved sigh hearing her dad’s happy tone. “How are you, sweetie?”

“I’m good, Appa. Finally you call me!” she replied, being more excited than her dad. She stole a glance at Chunji beside him. They were at a café, the guys shut their mouths up when they realized Jiyoon was having a talk with her dad. “So, how’s it going there?”

It’s been more hectic here, my stay got extended here. Probably for another weeks. I’m sorry, dear.” It was the very first time Jiyoon felt happy hearing her dad’s work trip got extended. She’s safe. “What are you doing now?”

“It’s okay. Just take your time, don’t worry about me. I’m safe here,” with these stupid guys I can count on. “I’m just hanging out with my friends.”

How’s Korea? I miss Korean food, really,” her dad sighed.

“Nothing changed, it’s the same here in Korea. I’ll cook for you when you get back here.” The guys frowned hearing her words, soon started buzzing with each other.

Her dad sighed again on the other line. “Okay then, I have to get back to work. Take care, my dear.”

“You too, Appa. Tons of luck for your works!” She smooched her phone, sending virtual kisses to her dad. “Bye!” The guys’ gazes stuck at her as soon as she ended the call. “What?” she questioned their puzzled faces.

“Here? Korea? What’s going on actually?” Chunji frowned, the others nodded in agreement.

Jiyoon grinned, laughing in bitterness. “Uh… Actually I’m…running away from home?” she paused, “kinda like that.”

Their jaws hung open. “You? Running away from home?” L.Joe repeated to make sure. Jiyoon nodded hesitantly at him. “But…why?” Ricky asked.

“I’d been wanted to stay for a while here in Japan but my dad didn’t let me. So I ran away while he’s away for a work trip to Europe.” She’s still grinning at the confused guys. “I’m the only child and my mom has...passed away, so yeah. It’s just the two of us,” she explained more.

“Turns out you’re a badass,” CAP commented. He shook his head, still in daze. “How if he found out?” Niel questioned.

Jiyoon shrugged. “I think I just got to deal with it, but it doesn’t matter though. I’ve done my mission.”

“Badass indeed,” L.Joe stated. “Whose girl is she?” Chunji smirked proudly, the others rolled their eyes right away.

“Yours, yeah yours. She’s yours. Enough, we know it already,” Changjo scoffed. They laughed at Changjo's quip while the boy's face was still tautened. He completely wasn't joking to himself.

“Watch out, Chunji hyung. You just irritated the one who shouldn’t be irritated,” warned Ricky, getting a bigger laughter from the rest.

“Are you jealous?” Niel joked at the annoyed guy.

Changjo chuckled, “Jealous? Jealous of what?” Changjo himself was amazed by the words which just came out from his own mouth. His biggest lie in the past few weeks.

"That you don't have a girl yet," said Niel.

Changjo rolled his eyes. "Like it's only me who don't have a girl yet. You jerks haven't got one either."

“It wasn’t his fault though. Chunji is really irritating,” Jiyoon stated, laughing. “Ya! Ya!” she was locked by Chunji’s backhug, being tickled by her boyfriend. Changjo moved his gaze somewhere else, mentally hissed again. The guys were teasingly whistling at the couple, except Changjo.

Jiyoon was then leaning her back on Chunji’s chest, watching the guys playing cards without Chunji who was busy watching as well with his girlfriend. Changjo whose focus was torn into half, noticed the couple talking silently on their own, exchanging smile or kisses once in a while. “Choi-ssi,” L.Joe snapped him back to reality. “Your turn,” he told Changjo who was looking at him bluntly.

Changjo did his turn before getting drowned again into his own thoughts, sometime stealing glances at the couple. “I’m not playing,” he told the other players later, half throwing his cards onto the coffee table in front of them.

“Ya!” CAP exclaimed, protesting.

“I got a headache, hyung,” he defended himself. Well, it’s a heartache. Changjo plumped his back onto the couch’s back rest, closing his eyes while gently massaging his head. It was only the third day yet he already felt knocked down by the jealousy which had been burning him ever since.

He had enough. He watched enough.

“You had too much coffee,” Chunji commented. Changjo opened his eyes to see Chunji smirking at him. Somehow he hated that proud smirk of him. To his eyes, it mocked him to death. I had too much of your PDAs, Changjo thought.

Chunji himself had never taken any things seriously. It’s all easy to him. He never thought much. That’s why he seemed careless on the things around him. The worst, he might be careless about his own self.

“Do you need a painkiller? I brought some,” Jiyoon offered.

“No thanks.” He politely refused with a forced smile on his face.

I don’t need any, 'cause you’re my painkiller.