Caught

The Roommate

Changjo clicked the door open carefully. It was around 5 in the morning when he got back to the dorm. The light was still off in their room as everybody was sleeping soundly. He lay on his bed slowly, covering his body with the blanket up to his head to hide the remaining bruises on his face. He turned his body to his side, facing the dull wall, before falling back to sleep.

“Changjo?” Ricky called him hesitantly. It’s already 9 when he climbed down his bed to find the lower bed was finally occupied by its owner. But his friend didn’t budge under the blanket. He tapped his back. Expecting to hear a low annoyed grunt from Changjo, he was shocked by his scream instead.

“Ack!” Changjo reflexively screamed when the clueless Ricky tapped his back, right on the bruises he got from landing harshly on the concrete when the drunkard jerked him. But fortunately he was aware enough not to unveil himself from under the blanket.

“I-I’m sorry,” Ricky stuttered. Normally, Changjo would have got up and scolded him or something. Nothing happened after, he was still curling himself up, not moving any single inch.

Changjo’s scream woke up the others, except the heavy sleepers; CAP and L.Joe. Their beds were the closest to Changjo’s, but amazingly they weren’t awakened by the scream. Niel peeked from his bed, trying to find the culprit who woke him up. He was about to badmouth when he realized it was Changjo, under his blanket, with Ricky standing awkwardly before their bed. It was already relieving to see Changjo had been back. He withdrew his curse and went back to sleep.

Jiyoon also heard the scream, she shifted closer to the railings and peeked down as well. Her heart dropped seeing Changjo was on his bed. Those awful scenes started flashing back again in her mind. Shrugging them off, she hid herself under the blanket just like what Changjo did.

Meanwhile Chunji was actually waken up by the vibration his alarm made. Sitting on his bed, he ruffled his hair lazily before climbing down his bed. Ricky was still standing there, frozen. “Ya, what are you-“ he paused when he followed Ricky’s gaze. “Woah maknae, I thought you lost your way back here,” he half scoffed, Ricky eyed him.

“I did,” Changjo mumbled from under his blanket.

“I was joking. Breakfast? Or you’ve had it first?” Chunji went on talking to Changjo’s back.

“Go. I’ll have it later,” he mumbled again, couldn’t stop wishing for his friends to leave him.

“Changjo-ya, are you okay?” Ricky finally spoke out his worries.

“Yeah,” answered Changjo shortly. “Go have your breakfast with Chunji hyung.”

Ricky glanced at Chunji who shrugged at him. “Okay then.”

Changjo let out a heavy sigh under the blanket. He hated lying. He had always been.

“Ya, Changjo-ya. Come on let’s go out.” CAP tried to persuade him later that afternoon. Changjo still hadn’t got out from his blanket yet.

“Yeah, don’t you miss us?” Niel . They’re doing their best to ease whatever had been burdening the maknae. They really thought it was about his family again.

The rest were preparing themselves, Jiyoon was purposely drifting away from the talk. The awkwardness in the room was still hanging, couldn’t be melted yet. Nobody dared to ask Changjo where he’d been, although Chunji was damn eager to do so. “Where are you going?” asked Changjo, he’s facing the wall that time, trying not to make it too obvious that he’s hiding.

“Wander around as usual, eat and eat and eat.” L.Joe joined the talk. Silence. The guys exchanged looks, running out of ideas how they should persuade Changjo.

“Just wait in the common room, I’m getting ready first.” He miraculously agreed in the end.

“Okay, we’ll wait there,” Ricky confirmed.

“Jiyoon-ah, are you done?” Chunji called her.

“Yup! Coming!” she pretended to be bright when actually she’s no better than Changjo. Screw him for coming! Gah!

Changjo started moving as they had left the room empty. He purposely waited for them to get ready first so he could get ready alone without being noticed. He dragged his sore body to the bathroom, taking a refreshing shower as fast as he could. He spared a few secs to check the bruises on his face. Although most of them had faded, but the purple stains and little cuts were still there.

Back to their empty room, Changjo was only wearing his jeans, applying the ointment onto his bruises for the umpteenth times. The bruises on his body were the worst out of all since the attack was quite cruel. The ointment really couldn’t do only in 12 hours like what it had claimed. He was examining the bruises on his abs when suddenly the door opened. Jiyoon was frozen at the doorway, eyes pinned on him. On his bruises to be exact.

She covered to prevent her from screaming. She leaned her limp body on the door as her eyes scanned Changjo head to toe once again, gulping. His face was well-decorated by cuts and some half faded bruises. Down to his torso, she just didn’t like to see it or even just to describe it. Terrible, totally terrible.

Changjo was also speechless by her sudden appearance. He had no idea which right emotion he should've captured. He couldn’t show another anger. She had had too much of it. Should he feel grateful for accidentally getting her to know what he suffered? His gaze moved down on to his barefeet, unsure whether he got the embarrassment or it's just actually sadness.

“I…I’m just getting my wallet there.” Jiyoon quickly ran passed him to her bed. Changjo was standing still at his place while Jiyoon climbed up and took her stuff. Then, she was about to grab the doorknob when Changjo stopped her.

“Wait.” Her heart dropped, she really didn’t want to talk more with him. She turned her frozen body to face him again. Stayed silent, she waited for him to speak out what he wanted. “Please don’t tell the hyungs what you saw, what you’re seeing right now,” Changjo trailed off, his hoarse voice doubled up the gloom.

Jiyoon pressed her lips together, he begged me. She nervously nodded her head, sneakily turning the doorknob to escape.

The door was just clicked open when he started talking again, forcing her to stop again. “You didn’t tell them about what happened that night, did you?” Changjo asked slowly, full of hope. Jiyoon shook her head quickly. He gave her acknowledging nods. “Better not.”

Jiyoon leaned on the hallway’s wall. She wasn’t in the right state to witness such a thing. She hadn’t completely recovered from the drunkards incident and then she already had to help Changjo acting in front of the hyungs. She started walking back to the common room, still holding onto the wall. She stopped few metres away from the common room. Inhaling deeply, she calmed her mind and put the biggest fake smile on her fake bright face.

Nobody loves lying. Nobody ever does.

 

Jiyoon slipped between Chunji and CAP on the couch as she got back. “Has he done?” L.Joe impatiently asked.

“Uh…yeah. Few more minutes I think.” She formed a smile at him to hide her nervousness.

“Ya, don’t forget to use your words carefully on him starting today until we don’t know when,” reminded CAP.

“He really didn’t want to talk, Ricky-ah?” the asked boy shook his head to Chunji as a reply.

“Maybe he just doesn’t feel well, Oppa.” Jiyoon tried to eliminate their suspicious thoughts. “You know, burdened mind can change people. Creating this different aura through your unusual behavior around him could make him more burdened as well, I think,” she continued.

Chunji backhugged Jiyoon as he nodded at her opinion. Leaning his chin on her shoulder, he stared blankly at the TV. CAP sneakily eyed him, also wondering how Jiyoon didn’t get disturbed when in fact they’re not even a couple.

“So, you’re saying we should just act normally? Being careless like we usually do?” Niel made sure, getting a nod from the girl.

Changjo soon appeared, wearing a mask. His knuckles were actually covered by bandages underneath those fashion gloves he wore to hide his bruises. His sunglasses was already hanging on his collar, ready to hide the cuts around his eyes. He looked just all fine, from afar. “Come on,” he said from a distance, avoiding a close up look by the hyungs. He walked outside first and put on his sunglasses right away. His camouflage was complete.

Changjo was being quiet all along, nothing changed. He built imaginary walls around him, preventing anyone from getting closer to him, even Ricky. Jiyoon and the rest sticked to the plan, acting normal. They’re joking like nothing went wrong, when Jiyoon actually knew it clear enough there was. She couldn’t stop stealing glances at Changjo, just to make sure he’s okay. Despite her anger on him, his bruises had been bugging her mind ever since. She remembered it well that the drunkards didn’t fight back on him. He was the one that made them injured from the start.

It’s weird. Where did he actually go? Jiyoon then was sure enough that he didn’t come back to the dorm after that incident. Those bruises weren’t that new. They had been cured.

Lunch time. Jiyoon’s question to her ownself would get answered soon. She’d been wondering whether Changjo would take off his glasses or not, and would the others noticed the cuts. Changjo took off his glasses for real, which amazed her seeing him taking the risks. He pretended to cover half of his face using his hand, struggling to make it look as natural as possible. He kept looking down at his food, it was kind of brilliant to divert others’ focus onto his pitch black bangs. And nobody noticed nor questioned his cuts.

They stopped by a gift shop randomly, searching for the unexists. Changjo miraculously also joined the window shopping. Usually he would just wait in front of the store, doing something on his phone.

“What are you searching for?” Chunji clinged his arm around Jiyoon's waist, startling her whose eyes were scanning the display randomly.

“Nothing.” She shrugged. Wasn’t bothered with arm, she continued examining the things.

“Don’t you wanna buy me something? Like a small gift maybe?” Jiyoon flinched from his tickles.

“No,” she coldly answer.

“Oh come on, why you’re so mean to me,” Chunji whined, not yet showing his aegyo to her.

“I am.” Jiyoon didn’t even take a look at him.

“That couple charms look good, don’t they?” Chunji pointed at a pair of bracelets with a small charm of a random symbol hanging on each.

“What were your words supposed to mean?” she glanced suspiciously at him.

“Let’s buy it.” His eyes were sparkling like a kid seeing the biggest lollipop ever.

“I’m not buying,” stated Jiyoon with her raised eyebrow.

“I’m buying then.” He smirked, asking the shopkeeper to get the pair for them before she could protest. “Go pay this,” he freely ordered Jiyoon, passing the bill and his wallet to her.

“Ya! Mwoya!!” her eyes widened, he could annoy her in a flash sec.

“At least you don’t have to spend any bucks! Ppali go!” he eyed her back, letting his evil laugh out and skipped to find the other guys.

Jiyoon pouted, busy cursing under her breath. She was still glaring at Chunji who didn’t notice her glares anymore since he started examining other display with L.Joe. She snorted and turned herself to walk to the cashier, but she bumped hard on someone, whom turned out to be Changjo.

He clenched his eyes as his face was stiffen. He bit his lip under his mask, holding back the ultimate pain he got. His abs were accidentally pressed by her arms when her forehead bumped onto his chin which sent the pain directly along his jawline. He bent his body a bit, his abs slowly. Trying to ease the pain but in fact he just doubled it up.

Jiyoon rubbed her forehead, growing more annoyed before she realized it was Changjo. The injured Changjo. “Gosh! Changjo, I’m sorry! I’m really sorry! Are you okay? Does it hurt? Omg!” she spluttered in panic, her hands were touching him here and there. The highlight was when she his jawline as she examined it closely like she did on the displays.

His brain went off by her touch. He froze, her hands were still wandering on him. “Stop it, I’m fine.” He managed to grab her arms, stopped them from doing the unnecessary although he actually loved it.

“But your expression doesn’t look like one!” she rubbed the back of her neck, couldn’t help feeling guilty.

“Shut. Up," he emphasized. "Okay, it hurt. A lot. But what you just did was fatal, you know. The others might notice this,” he mumbled between his teeth, his hands were still holding her arms quite strongly while glancing around, making sure the other guys didn’t see them.

“Uh.. I-I’m sorry.” Jiyoon bit her lower lip, worried for the mistakes she made. Changjo loosen up his grip and walked away without saying any words.

“Why did it take so long just to pay?” Chunji frowned at Jiyoon when she finally came out from the shop.

“There’s a queue.” She made a quick excuse. Chunji was munching churros he got from the shop next door with Ricky and Changjo. “Ya, give me a bite.” She shifted closer to Chunji.

“Andwae, this is good and I’m not even giving you a tiny bite,” he harshly refused.

Jiyoon was about to move to Ricky, but he just swallowed the last bite. She pouted at Chunji. “Oppa, please.” Whining, her slight aegyo didn’t work for Chunji that time.

“No,” he emphasized, eyeing Jiyoon. “Ask for his! He still has a lot!” he pointed towards Changjo, whom cluelessly glanced between them two. She sulked, knowing it’s almost impossible to go to him and ask for a bite since the probability for her being bitten back by his tantrum was bigger. She hit Chunji’s arm and crossed her arms, staying on her feet.

Ricky went back into the gift shop, leaving the three outside. “Here,” Changjo stretched his arm out, offering the churros in his hand.

“No, thanks.” Jiyoon grinned at him awkwardly.

“Ya! What was that!” Chunji smacked her lightly hearing her answer, he pushed her towards Changjo.

“Here, take it,” told Changjo again.

“Is it fine if I take a bite?” asked her, hesitating.

“Just take one whole piece instead.”

She gladly took out one and turned to Chunji right away, bragging. “Ya! You stingy Chanhee! Look what I’ve got!” she showed off the churro she got, forgetting to thank Changjo first.

Chunji’s eyes widened, “Jiyoon-ah, give me one bite, please.” He’s the one begging her since he’d ran out of churros already.

“You wish!” she tucked out her tongue, pleased by the revenge.

“Changjo-ya, give me one also.” He turned to Changjo.

“Andwae,” Changjo coldly rejected him.

“Ya! Why did you give her but not your own hyung!” the clueless Chunji smacked Changjo’s back, just like what he did to Jiyoon before. Jiyoon gasped as she watched the scene, Changjo’s face was stiffen again. He bit his lower lip, grinning awkwardly at Chunji.

“Wait, is that a cut?” Chunji frowned, examining the dark stain at the tip of Changjo’s mouth, flustering the boy.

Jiyoon took out a piece of tissue from her pocket, rushingly pushing Chunji away and shifted between them to make a gap. “Uh? Where?” she acted to search for the stain, purposely tiptoeing in front of Changjo to hide his face from Chunji’s sight. “Ah.” She pretended to wipe his mouth by the tissue, Changjo startled as his eyes widened. “It’s just the chocolate sauce, Oppa,” she told Chunji without looking. She pulled up Changjo’s mask, glaring. “Stupid,” she mouthed at him.

“Oh, is that so?” Chunji was once again fooled by her.

“Uh-huh.” Jiyoon nodded, munching at the churros she just stole from Changjo since he couldn’t eat anymore unless he wanted to get caught again. Chunji stared at her with that you-stole-it look. “No, he gave me the rest," she answered his gaze, shrugging innocently.

“Share with me!” and the quarrel went on again.