Smiles

The Roommate

“Are you going out today?” Changjo appeared from under his blanket right when Jiyoon went back into their room after having a long shower that morning.

Jiyoon paused on her track. “You’re creepy, really.” She stared at him as she took the towel which had been wrapping her wet hair off before rubbing it onto her hair, drying it.

“So, you’re going out or not?” Changjo asked again. He was sitting on his bed then.

“I’m going to the library,” answered Jiyoon shortly while examining the tip of her hair closely, not bothering herself to make an eye contact with the guy.

“May I come with you?” Changjo showed a hopeful grin when Jiyoon finally glanced at him.

Jiyoon took a moment to stare at Changjo seriously, delaying her answer just to annoy him. “Hurry, take a shower.” She rolled her eyes as she smacked him with the heavy wet towel she’s holding.

The guy grinned sheepishly before dashing off to the bathroom. Jiyoon continued dressing herself up, taking her time on applying her daily light make up while waiting for Changjo to finish showering.

“Have you had breakfast?” Changjo asked right away when he’s back into their room. Jiyoon just shook her head to answer. “How about having breakfast outside? I’m fed enough by the hostel’s toasts and cereals,” he muttered. The girl gave a hesitant gaze at him, doubting his offer. “I’ll treat.” Changjo rolled his eyes, knowing what’s inside her mind.

A childish grin appeared on the girl’s face. “Call!” she giggled, turning the butterflies inside Changjo’s stomach alive again after a long hiatus. “Funny how you said you’re fed enough yet you grab it for times every morning,” she scoffed.

“Don’t you know a thing called hunger?” he replied before smirking proudly at her. “It’s the thing which often bother you in the middle of the night which then make you come to a kind guy named Changjo and ask him to accompany you buying food to shut your grumbling stomach up,” he spluttered.

Jiyoon pouted, acknowledging her defeat before smacking Changjo’s arm. “Screw you!”

 

 

They hopped off the train and walked down the busy streets, stopping by a coffee shop to have their breakfast first before going to the library. Changjo dragged her to the nearest couch first then making his way to the counter to place their orders. He took a seat across her as usual when he got back, just to make him easier to steal a glance at the beautiful figure of her.

“Toasts again, really?” Jiyoon bursted out laughing as she realized what Changjo had ordered. “I thought you said you’re fed enough by them,” she scoffed.

“At least these ones are more humane.” He shrugged innocently while taking a bite from the controversial toasts he ordered.

Jiyoon shook her head at his answer. She started having her own breakfast, the authentic pancakes with syrup. They were eating in silence, before the guy broke the ice between them. “Is it good?” he asked Jiyoon in a sudden.

Jiyoon looked at him who kept moving his gaze between Jiyoon and her pancakes. She chuckled a bit knowing what’s on his mind. She sliced a piece of her pancake for him. “Here,” she ordered while holding the fork with a stabbed piece of pancake on its end in front of his mouth.

Changjo was flustered. He stared at her hesitantly before slowly opening his mouth and munched the pancake of love. “Now you know how good it is.” Jiyoon flashed a smile. To Changjo, the pancake’s delicacy was ten times better since it's being fed by her.

“Your turn then,” he was holding a piece of his toast in front of . He dared himself to make a move, not caring about how it might turn out. “Try this humane toast,” he persuaded since she didn’t budge to open . His quip successfully made her chuckled before finally eating the piece he gave. “It’s more humane, I’ve told you.”

“Or probably it’s just you who’s inhumane,” she replied, irritating the guy. “Okay, I take it back since you’re kind enough to treat me breakfast today,” she laughed at Changjo’s glare at her.

 

 

They had spent hours in the library. Jiyoon was cherishing her moments with her old best friends, books. The girl took a stack of books in the first 15 minutes after they arrived at the library. She was reading seriously, drowned into her own fantasy world. By that, Changjo was given the chance to stare at her lovingly, freely without her knowing.

Meanwhile for Changjo, what made him could stand there for hours was just Jiyoon. Changjo himself had taken a few comic books as a disguise, so that Jiyoon wouldn’t be suspicious on what he’s doing all along if he didn’t read, since comic books were the most relevant to him there.

Jiyoon peeked from above the book she’s reading. Changjo was blankly staring at the comic book in front of him, yawning. His gaze was straight on the book, but his mind was clearly not there.

The silence was killing Changjo slowly but surely. The sound of papers’ friction when people flipped the pages was just a perfect lullaby for him. Soon his grip on the comic book he’s holding to stand loosened as his eyes couldn’t compromise the sleepiness he got anymore. Good meal he had, good atmosphere around, good lullaby to his ears, successfully brought the light-sleeper down.

Jiyoon then noticed something was off across her. She hadn’t heard any sound of pages being flipped for a while. She peeked again and found Changjo sleeping soundly with his head was leaning on his right arm while his limp left hand couldn’t hold the comic book he’s reading before anymore.

Jiyoon tried to hold back her laughter, finally realizing that Changjo wasn’t any different with another Teen Top members. They’re just a flock of fools. She shrugged before getting back on reading.

 

 

“Changjo-ya,” Jiyoon whispered in front of his ear. It’s been an hour since he fell asleep. Jiyoon herself had finished reading the books she took and yet the guy hadn’t budged on his place any tiny bit, still with the same exact precise pose and expression. “Changjo,” she called him again.

Jiyoon inhaled deeply before daring herself to do what she shouldn’t be doing to Changjo. She flicked her fingers on his cheek. Changjo reflexively shouted as he jerked up. Jiyoon smothered him--hugging his head--in panic since people around them hushed the two in chorus right away. “The heck you’re doing!” Changjo snarled in a whisper.

“Waking you up.” She innocently grinned just a few centimeters away from his face, wishing that it could melt his annoyance. “I’m sorry!” she rubbed the sore cheek of him, trying to ease the pain. “Come on, I already finished reading.” Changjo, who was still in a daze on what she just did to him, sat still on his chair. “Ya, are you staying here?” she whispered.

Changjo lazily got up and tailed her getting out the library while ruffling his own hair or rubbing his own eyes once in a while. “Where are we going now?” the hoarse voice he got after having a deep nap cracked and brought laughter to Jiyoon. He hurriedly cleared his throat, feeling humiliated. “Where are we going now?” he asked again with a better voice.

“No matter how many times you clear your throat and repeat your words, what’s recorded in my mind was the one with your hoarse voice,” Jiyoon kept laughing. “Where are we going now,” she impersonated while walking faster to avoid him.

“Ya!” he ran after her, nagging all along. He pulled her as his attempt to catch her, but he accidentally pulled her strong enough into his hug.

The two stared at each other in the little gap they had between them. The girl’s heartbeat rate doubled in a sudden. Her arms were still in his grip. She bet he could even feel the abnormal beat inside her veins. “What?” she jokingly challenged him, hoping it could melt the awkwardness a bit.

“Haish!” Changjo moved his gaze away from her as he let her slipped off of his grip. The chance was wasted poorly by the guy. He didn’t expect that moment, nor prepared for it. “You haven’t answered my question! Where are we going now?” he half shouted at her.

“We?” she raised her eyebrow. “Why are you so sure that we’re going together?” she more. “I’m going alone now but you keep tailing me. Changjo the stalker.”

“I’m following you wherever you go,” he replied coldly, struggling not to be provoked by her tease.

Jiyoon gave a judging looks at him. “Even if I go to hell?” she questioned.

“Yeah,” he mumbled.

“You like me that much don’t you? That you’d even follow me to hell. Admit it,” Jiyoon nudged him teasingly. Changjo was shot in the head by Jiyoon’s sudden question. He stared at her meaningfully before mumbling another short and half-hearted ‘yeah’ for a disguise. “You should be the chief of my fanclub!” she clapped happily.

Changjo was still staring at her in silence, amazed by her demeanor. “Ya, don’t be so gloomy, Changjo-ya. I promise you, we’re not going to hell,” Jiyoon chuckled at Changjo’s blank face. “Okay, so, now we’re going to….,” she paused to glance at him, “where do you want to go, Changjo-ya?”

“Jiyoon-ah, really, what’s wrong with you today?” the guy rolled his eyes. “Did I give you a wrong breakfast?” he touched her forehead, pretending to check its heat. “You suddenly turned all hyper!”

“The more humane breakfast you claimed is probably responsible to make me like this,” she replied, laughing.

“So, you’re not a human?” Changjo was drifted into her play.

Jiyoon shrugged. “Probably not since human food wasn’t compatible with me.”

“Let me tell you something.” Changjo poked her to get her attention. Jiyoon turned to him, anticipating what’s coming after. “You’re not a human, but you’re an angel.” He smirked teasingly at her.

Jiyoon smacked him right away but she couldn’t help to blush. Her face was as red as tomatoes. “Damn it Changjo!”

“But you like it, don’t you? Your face can’t lie! Admit it!” Changjo was trying to stop his laugh which he failed. “Hello there, fallen angel.” He more.

“Changjo-ssi, I’m taking you to hell.”

******

“I'm sorry, you two are checking out tomorrow, right?” the front officer stood up as she saw Changjo and Jiyoon arriving back at the hostel.

The two frowned at her question. They didn’t remember they had ever told the front office about their check out date since none of them hadn’t even decided when to go home. “Uhm... I don’t think we’re going to check out tomorrow,” told Jiyoon.

The front officer looked flustered by Jiyoon’s answer. She took a minute to discuss with her partner behind the desk before turning back to Changjo and Jiyoon. “There’s a group of eight checking in tomorrow. Since none of you told us about your extended stay, we’ve given your room for them, starting tomorrow.”

“It’s okay, you can move us to a smaller room,” Changjo finally spoke up. “Yeah, it’s fine,” Jiyoon agreed.

The front officer bit her lip. From her looks, they already guessed that something was wrong. “That’s the problem. All the rooms are occupied,” she said. “I’m sorry, but we're still going to put them first since it’s just the two of you in the 8-bedded room,” she continued while the two were taken aback by the info.

Changjo sighed, “It’s okay. They’re checking in tomorrow, right? So we can still stay here for tonight?” the front officer nodded surely at him. “Okay then, we’re checking out tomorrow.”

Jiyoon was being silent all along. They couldn’t argue more, it’s eight persons versus the two of them. They had to give in for the new occupants. She just wished Changjo had a plan in his mind since she had nothing in hers.

“Thank you for your understanding. We’re sorry for the miscommunication.” The front officer couldn’t stop apologizing at them. “We won’t charge you for tonight’s stay as a compensation.”

 

 

“So what are we gonna do?” Jiyoon landed herself on CAP’s bed again, lying lifelessly on her stomach. “I have no idea where we should go to. This stupid hostel is the cheapest in this area and I’m not moving out of this area,” she desperately said. “I hope you’ve got a plan in your head since you told her it’s all okay. I don’t have any.”

Changjo sighed, “But I don’t either.”

“Changjo-ya,” Jiyoon whined. “I believe in you. Please squeeze your brain out.”

“Let’s just pack our things now and sleep right away. Then just let our steps direct us tomorrow,” he replied.

“You’re so smart, Changjo. I don’t even get which part is the useful plan,” she quipped.

Changjo shook her lifeless body harshly. “Ya! Get up! We have a lot of things to do!” he nagged. “Look at our stuffs!”

“You’re exaggerating, Changjo-ya. Our stuffs aren’t that many.” It was her weakest nag ever that it wasn’t even sounded like a nag itself.

“Ya, listen to me.” Changjo softened his voice as he forced her to look at him. “Just so you know, even though I don’t have useful plan in my head or whatsoever you prefer to call it, but there’s been a plan B already.”

“Then why don’t you just move it up and make it as a plan A instead, stupid?” Jiyoon was somehow peeved by him.

Changjo rolled his eyes. “Once a plan B is a plan B. That’s why it’s called plan B!” he pinched her upper arm, causing her to scream. “That’s for calling this kindest guy you’ve ever met a stupid.” Jiyoon pouted, she’s still pissed by the fact that she had to move out from the cheapest place. “Ya, Jiyoon-ah, trust me.” His lips formed a smile.

Jiyoon stared at him doubtfully. “Come on, girl. Cheer up.” He helped her getting up. "It's gonna be fine, I'm telling you. You, we, can stay here, in Tokyo, still. Don't worry, I'll help you." Jiyoon was then hanging her head low, looking down on her lap. Changjo pushed her chin up slowly. "Smile."

Jiyoon flashed a half-hearted grin instead of a smile. "Ya, you're that hyper all day long and now I'm seeing a different person." Changjo raised his eyebrow. "Now, smile, for real." Jiyoon inhaled deeply. She tried to smile as sincere as she could which then brought another smile on Changjo's face. "Now it's the beautiful Kim Jiyoon I'm seeing."

 


A/N:

Hello again! Welcoming new subs! And also I want to thank you whom subscribed to my new BTS fic! I hope you like it as well!

And I'm being kind today to remove the tick from the hide chapter box! I hope you like the update! Have a good day! :-)