Sleeping Beauties

The Roommate

Changjo was taken aback when he realized that Jiyoon was there too. Her head fell aside on top of Chunji’s head which was leaning on her shoulder. Her laptop was on her lap, with the movie was still running. You two were watching romantic movie, eh? So sweet. Changjo hissed.

Changjo squatted down beside CAP. “Hyung.” He called him for times, shaking his hyung’s body to wake him up. He didn’t budge. Waking up CAP hyung? Just wish, Jonghyun-ah. He moved to wake L.Joe and Chunji up but the results didn’t make any difference. He sighed, do I really have to do this?

Changjo tapped Jiyoon’s arm slowly. She didn’t budge either. Since she’s a girl, I hope her response would be more sensitive than these jerks. He gave his second attempt, tapping her arm for a few times. Jiyoon was then startled to see Changjo in front of her. She rubbed her eyes with her left hand, the only free hand of her, since Chunji was hugging her other arm as a bolster which she hadn’t realized it yet. She looked at Changjo hesitantly. “Move. The staff noticed you all,” he told her coldly.

Jiyoon had a look around her, it was only them in the common room, the nerd guy wasn’t there anymore. The sleepyheads were sleeping still. Then she just realized that Chunji had been sleeping on her shoulder, hugging her arm all along. She purposely moved a bit roughly, hoping it would wake Chunji up. Changjo was once again trying to wake his hyungs up. “Chunji,” she freely called Chunji’s name. He was half awake as he grunted but then he moved to lean his head to the other side of the couch. She shook his body violently, but he just mumbled. Cursing, she bet. “Oppa, wake up.”

Chunji jerked up right away as he heard that. While at the other side, Changjo stopped shaking L.Joe’s body, startled with what he just heard. “What did you just call me?” It’s Chunji asking Jiyoon, not noticing Changjo’s presence there.

“Chunji.” She moved her gaze away, kicking CAP’s leg to wake him up.

“No, after that,” Chunji corrected.

“Hyung, you better help me wake these two,” Changjo quipped. “Just drag them into our room right away or whatever.”

Chunji yawned as he got up. Jiyoon was relieved, she hated to admit it but she felt like she should thank Changjo for it. She’s not saving you, Jiyoon. She shrugged. Gah, whatever. She closed her laptop and tailed the others back to their room as Changjo and Chunji were dragging the half awake CAP and L.Joe.

Jiyoon was climbing up her bed when Chunji tucked his head from the upper bed across her. “Good night, Jiyoon-ah,” he whispered.

“Good-“ The sound of the door getting slammed stopped Jiyoon from answering Chunji. It’s Changjo, again.

“Like I’ve said, don’t mind him,” Chunji responded to her flustered face.

“Does he always be like that?” Jiyoon asked in a whisper, frowning under the dim light. She was lying on her bed facing towards Chunji.

He smiled, calming her down. “Just don’t mind him.” He shrugged.

Jiyoon gave him a nod as an answer. “Good night.”

******

The hot water was pouring on Changjo’s tired body, and soul, as he was recalling everything which had happened recently. “You’re a real man if you go to her and apologize on your stupid tantrums.” Ricky’s words on him kept resounding in his head after since. He hissed. I had no fault. None of them was my fault. Jiyoon’s face from the night before slowly appeared. I’m not apologizing.

The only thing he couldn’t understand was why he got bothered so much by the stupid accident and its after effect. Every single time he got mad on something, he would forget it right away. But not that time.

Feeling guilty? The angel in his head scoffed. Not at all, he answered right away, defending himself in denial. Then tell me why. But he couldn’t.

A spark of jealousy coming inside him as he remembered how his best friends’ love Jiyoon. They didn’t give a damn nor even trying to ease my silent tantrums on her. Unless Ricky. Changjo had to admit that Ricky was still care about him. But he’s on her side, after all.

Well, well, well. Lee Chanhee the mega flirt strikes again. He chuckled sarcastically, remembering how close Chunji and Jiyoon been in just one damn night. That girl is stupid enough if she fell for him. He shrugged.

Are you jealous, dear? The voice in his head scoffed him off again. Changjo shook his head, panicking. What the hell are you thinking, Jonghyun-ah. Let them be. It’s none of your business. Let Chunji be a mega flirt like he always does, and just let Jiyoon fall for him, he told himself.

No, you won’t let her fall for Chunji, will you? The voice kept mocking him, provoking his anger. Don’t hate her too much, dear. You know what usually happen after that, right? You’ll badly fall for her. Or you have fallen for her actually? The voice in his head was then giggling, satisfied at Changjo’s annoyance. “I don’t give a damn about them!” He growled lowly.

Stop being childish, Jonghyun-ah. Stop showing your actual weakness. Another voice told him, soothing that time. Changjo was breathing faster, tried his best to hold back his anger. He gulped down the bitterness. “Stop being childish, you brat.” He banged his head lightly on the wall.

Changjo walked back to their room as he finished showering which lasted longer than usual since he had to deal with the voices in his mind first. He cracked the door open slowly, trying not to wake the others. Low snores in the air were telling him that his friends had fallen deep into their own dreams. Changjo lay himself on his bed, the lower bed under Ricky. He sighed, clenching his eyes shut. He tried shutting up the voices in his head before falling into his sleep, catching up the others.

To his unknown, Jiyoon was actually awake still when he went back to the room. She peeked from between her bed’s railing, to find the tall guy dragging himself to his bed. She could see his tired face under the dim light. He looks different, burdened? she frowned. I think he is. She made her own conclusion as she heard him letting out a deep sigh. It’s none of my business though. She shook her head, pulling up her blanket, and fell asleep as well.

******

It’s 8 am when Jiyoon climbed down her bed to get her breakfast. The boys were still sleeping soundly, but one of the bed had been left by its occupant. Changjo had disappeared from the room, again. Jiyoon went to the bathroom first to wash her face in a flash sec before moving to the dining area to shut her grumbling stomach up.

To her surprise, the dining area was kind of packed up. She was considering to get her breakfast later, but her noisy stomach wouldn’t let her. She grumbled to herself as she was spreading the jam over her toasts. Almost all of the seats were taken. She scanned the whole room once again and spotted an empty chair at the corner. Her happiness didn’t last long when she realized the person sitting across it was Changjo. Time to make up, maybe? She approached his table half hearted.

“May I sit here?” Jiyoon asked hesitantly. Changjo raised his head up, trying not to look startled. He gave a nod after glancing around to see all the seats had been occupied. “Thanks.” She forced a smile before clumsily pulled out the chair and sat on it.

Their eyes were focused on their own plate, purposely avoiding other’s eyes. Not any single words had been said between them after Jiyoon’s last thanks. Changjo left once to take his extra toasts and went back to his seat. Jiyoon was secretly eyeing him when his gaze was on his toasts. She had no idea why she ate slower than usual, like it’s taking minutes just to chew one bite of bread.

“Ya!” Ricky slammed their table in a sudden, shocking the two to death.

“The , Ricky!” Changjo bursted out while Jiyoon was staring blankly at Ricky, half panting in shock.

“Why are you two leaving me and the others?!” Ricky protested.

Changjo rolled his eyes. “Leaving you? It’s my nature to wake up early and get my own breakfast alone everyday and funny you’re just complaining for today.” Jiyoon was watching her friends’ quarrel.

“If you’re with her then you’re not alone!” Ricky argued his best. Changjo held his breath as he felt stuck to argue about Jiyoon. He moved his gaze away from Ricky.

“No, he woke up and went here first. I joined him after that,” Jiyoon explained.

“Then is it still my fault not to be here alone, huh?” Changjo added, cornering Ricky.

“Fine, fine.” The defeated Ricky turned around and walked away to get his breakfast.

By that, Changjo got up from his seat with his plate on his hand when Jiyoon stopped him. “Let me wash it,” she told the confused guy.

“No, it’s okay. You don’t have to.” He tried to act as natural as possible, still holding his plate when Jiyoon was holding its other side.

“Just take it as my belated apology.” She flashed a smile before she snatched his plate away and walked to the sink. She really tried to make up with him, not bothering if she had to be the one giving in first. The frozen guy shrugged as he saw Jiyoon walking away and started walking too.

“Ya! Where are you two going?!” Ricky yelled as he saw Jiyoon and Changjo were leaving. He grabbed his breakfast to have it with his friends but unexpectedly the two left him alone.

“We’re done!” Changjo shouted without turning his head on Ricky.

We? Jiyoon frowned. “I’m doing the dishes!” she joined shouting.

They left Ricky nagging by himself, betrayed.