First Encounter

The Roommate

Jiyoon put on her sunglasses as she walked out the airport. Japan, finally. She inhaled deeply. Sorry for running away, Appa.

She spent the rest of the day wandering around Japan’s famous busy streets alone, not bothering the weigh of her backpack on her back. She was just too excited to be there, the moment when your dream came true.

The noise from the main street was fading away as she went along deeper into the alleys while glancing around, looking for the place she’s going to settle. She stopped in front of a door with a small neon sign hanging beside, telling the passer by its name, Pearl Lavender. Jiyoon took off her sunglasses, verifying it closely. Home sweet home, Jiyoon-ah.

“Hello, can I help you?” Jiyoon grinned awkwardly as the friendly-look female front officer greeted her. "Uhm, I need a bed for one. Probably I'm gonna stay for a month. But I didn't get to book first, so I came here right away."

"Please wait a minute." The front officer was then focused on her computer screen. Jiyoon took the chance to glance around the common room, scanning the whole property around her. Not bad. “Excuse me, Miss. There are two unoccupied bed in an 8-bedded mixed dorm, you can take one there." Jiyoon frowned. “Aren’t there female dorms here?”

"Yes there are some, but they're all occupied since there's a large group staying here for months. The mixed dorm I offered you is the only room available," the front officer explained, looking sorry.

Jiyoon puffed her cheek in disappointment. "Okay, I'll take it." Her laziness won. She was too lazy to search for another one since it would be dark outside soon. Moreover, it’s the cheapest here.

The front officer accompanied Jiyoon to her room after finishing some paper. "The shared bathrooms are down the hallway. Just ask our staffs if you need any helps. I hope you enjoy your stay here." Jiyoon nodded at her. The front officer flashed a smile before leaving her alone. Jiyoon’s eyes scanned around the room. Some stuffs could be seen on the occupied beds. I hope I can make friends here.

Jiyoon climbed up the bunk bed. She had requested the front officer to get her the upper bed since having a staring contest with the ceiling had been on her daily schedule. She lay herself, smiling. Can't believe I made it here. Long way to go, Jiyoon-ah. This is your home for the next few weeks. Enjoy!

******

Jiyoon opened her eyes, trying to remember where she was since she hadn't used to see the view of her room yet. The room was buzzing, the other roommates must have been back. She glanced at her wristwatch, quarter to 12. She closed her eyes again and tried to go back to sleep, but the buzzing got louder. She shifted closer to her bed's railing, tucking her head out to see what's happening down there. Six young guys around her age were playing cards on the floor while chatting in Korean and laughing loudly.

"Guys?" Jiyoon tried to call them. No reaction. They didn't hear me. Ugh. "Excuse me." She gave her second attempt. Fine.

Jiyoon threw her pillow down, accidentally smacked one of them right on the head. They all screamed, completely frightened by the ‘attack’. But the guy who got hit by Jiyoon’s flying pillow reacted different. He didn’t scream as the others did, he glared at Jiyoon instead. “What the heck!! Do you-“ One of them, the blonde one, covered the glaring guy’s mouth, preventing him from talking further.

“Sorry guys, I didn’t mean to be rude. I’ve tried to call you politely but you didn’t hear me. Just please, it’s midnight.”

Jiyoon heard sighs from them. “Man, I think you’re a ghost,” the thick lipped guy commented.

“It’s okay. We really had no idea that you’re here too, we thought it was just the six of us here. I’m sorry, uh…we’re sorry. You can continue your sleep.” He winked, still smothering his friend, more violently as his friend was struggling to shake his hand off of his face. The rest were silent still, recovering themselves from the shock.

Was that a wink? He winked at me? The heck? Gross. Jiyoon lay herself back,  just to realize that she had no pillow anymore since the only one she got had been flown down there. “Uh…Guys? Sorry to bother you but…would you please throw my pillow back?”

The guy whom got hit hissed. “Get it yourself,” he scoffed.

“Changjo, stop.” A deep voice of the other whispered to him. But it could be heard by Jiyoon since her attack was really shutting them up.

“Don’t mind him,” said the guy who winked at her before, grinning. Man, his flirty face disturbs me.

One of the other two who were left speechless got up. He took Jiyoon’s pillow and gave it to her without saying anything, still. “Thank you. You could just throw it though.” Jiyoon smiled awkwardly. He curved his lips slightly before walking to his bed.

“We should sleep, guys,” the deep voiced guy told. The pack was scattered to their own bed. Jiyoon could see Changjo kept stealing glances at her with a pissed face. She looked back at him coldly. Whatever dude, I said sorry. It’s your problem if you don’t like it.

******

Jiyoon climbed down her bed quietly since her roommates were still asleep. She took a shower then proceeded to the dining area to have her breakfast, enjoying the joy of a simple toast. She stayed there for a while, reading magazines, still sitting on the dining area. But her peacefulness didn’t last long. The familiar buzz could be heard again. She glanced through the corner of her eye. It was them again, barging into the pantry to get their own breakfasts.

“Hi!” Oh just not him again please. Jiyoon raised her head to find the flirty guy. “We haven’t introduced ourselves properly last night. I’m Chunji.” He took a seat across her. The others joined Chunji and Jiyoon, while Changjo sat at the end of the long dining table, making a gap from the girl.

“I’m Minsoo, but they usually called me CAP.” The deep voiced guy introduced himself.

“L.Joe.” It’s the guy who gave Jiyoon her pillow back last night.

“L.Joe? Just say Byunghun! Oh and I’m Niel by the way.” The thick lipped guy teased L.Joe before turned to Jiyoon.

“Hello, I’m Ricky.” The cutest finally spoke, he was the one who stayed quiet the night before.

Jiyoon couldn’t help herself to chuckle. “Are you 17?” 

Ricky was flustered by her question. “I know I’m cute, but I’m 20 for your info.”

Chunji poked Jiyoon’s hand. “How about me? Am I cute too?” he winked, again. “

Ugh.” Jiyoon rolled her eyes, receiving laughter from the others. Except Changjo.

“See it, hyung? It wasn’t just us who got annoyed! Even you annoyed a girl with your so called killer wink!” Niel received a smack on the head right away.

“You haven’t introduced yourself!” L.Joe reminded the others that Jiyoon hadn’t yet introduced herself, but Jiyoon pretended not to hear him. “I even told you my age!” Ricky protested.

“Well, I didn’t ask you to.” Jiyoon’s reply made Ricky pouted, defeated.

“Oh come on, darling~” Chunji showed his flirty wink again.

“Fine. I’ll introduce myself but please stop doing that for God sake.” She glared at Chunji.

“Why? Worried if my wink shot you right at the heart?” Chunji couldn’t stop teasing her.

“Don’t you know that you’re gross even to men’s ears?!” It’s CAP, finally finding himself annoyed by Chunji, the big time flirt. The rest, except Changjo who stayed silent, agreed in unison.

“So, what’s your name?” L.Joe started the interview. Jiyoon scanned their faces one by one, not bothering to see Changjo’s since his face couldn’t be seen though.

“Jiyoon. Kim Jiyoon.”

“Such a beautiful name you-“ Jiyoon cut Chunji’s words.

“Don’t you dare to wink at me again.” She pointed right at his face.

“Age?” Interviewer L.Joe asked again.

“20, sir,” Jiyoon answered right away.

CAP choked on his drink. “20? Really?”

Jiyoon nodded. “You’re at the same age with me and Changjo!” Ricky shouted happily. She unconsciously gulped hearing Changjo’s name being mentioned.

“Ya! Changjo!” Niel called the mute guy, making the other realized that he hadn’t spoken since the start. All the eyes were pinned at him, even Jiyoon’s.

“What?” he coldly asked.

“Forget it.” CAP knew that Changjo wasn’t in his good mood. He ended the talk for everyone’s safety. Changjo was then back to his own world.

“How about your ages?” Jiyoon distracted their focus on Changjo.

“I’m 21. Chunji hyung and L.Joe hyung are older than me by 1 year, while Minsoo hyung is the oldest, 23,” Niel explained.

“How long have you stayed here?” Jiyoon couldn’t stop asking.

“A week.” L.Joe grabbed a toast in front of him. “Ya! Hyung! It’s mine!” Ricky nagged.

“Take mine, I’m full.” Changjo slid his plate to Ricky before he got up and left.

Silence. “When I told you not to mind him yesterday, I really meant it.” Chunji shrugged at the blunt Jiyoon. “He’s not the right person to be smacked by a pillow,” L.Joe added. “Well, admit it we all do want to smack him sometimes,” said Niel. “Everytime,” CAP hissed, correcting Niel. "We should have thanked her for that."

“I didn’t smack him! I randomly threw it and unfortunately it hit him. I’ve said sorry, you all heard it,” Jiyoon defended. “If he got mad at me just because of that useless matter, he’s too much!”

Ricky bit his lip. “He is too much sometimes. Anything can trigger his temper anytime even when he’s in the good mood. You experienced it by yourself last night,” he explained.

Then Chunji patted her hands. “Maybe your fortune just wasn’t there to greet his bad temper right on your first met.”

 


 

A/N:

Hello everyone! Tell me your thoughts about this first chap! Thank you! x