The Reason

The Roommate

Jiyoon stopped behind the front door, squeezing her sling bag strap which was hanging across her body as she looked down on her feet. I’m just having a lunch, Changjo. I hope you’ll understand. She took a deep breath and opened the door to see the guy who’d been waiting for her was casually leaning against the railing. Another wide smile grew on his face right away at the view of her.

“Ready?” he asked, stretching his hand out of his pocket to her, silently asking to be twined.

She raised her eyebrow, teasing the guy. “Yeah!” with a fake excited smile she made to more, she stretched her hand just to hold his for a second before slapping it away.

“Ugh, just being you.” Chunji rolled his eyes. “Do you feel better now?” he started another talk as they were waiting for the elevator.

“I’ve been feeling better, but I feel sick again as I saw you.” Her answer made her arm got slapped. “Ya! Why? Can I not say that?” she protested. “Like you have no idea about the way I talk to you,” she hit him back.

Chunji locked her around her shoulder. “Well, that makes me loves you more actually.” His words earned a hiss from her. “Stop hissing at me!”

“You drove here?” asked her when she realized that the elevator was stopping at the basement.

“Yeah, why?” he took her by the hand as they walked through the parking lot.

“I don’t want to die yet. I still have a lot of things to be done before I die. I haven’t got married yet, Chanhee. Don’t kill me,” she muttered.

A playful smirk appeared on his face. “Don’t worry. We can get married first today so that you’ll be at ease later on.”

She instinctively hit him on the head. “I hate you, Lee Chanhee.”

They later arrived at their destination without being able to stop their endless quarrel. “You’re treating me today, right?” he questioned as they stepped into the restaurant.

“Oh! You wish!” she rolled her eyes. “I’m just asking you to go for a lunch, not offering to treat you.”

“You should be thankful for me to drive you here,” he claimed.

She turned her head at him. “Thank you.” She flashed a smile before pulling out a chair for herself and started reading the menu right away.

Chunji stole the menu she’s reading. “You’re welcome,” he replied with a wider smile at her annoyed expression. He casually read the menu just to annoy her more.

“Oh, Chanhee. Let’s eat peacefully,” she whined.   

“I can’t hear you,” he responded without looking at her.

“Whatever, I’ve decided what to order anyway,” she said as she called the waiter and won the quarrel.

“Ya, why did you dye your hair?” asked her after they finished ordering. “I haven’t got used to it.”

Chunji reflexively ruffled his own hair. “I just want to. Did I choose the wrong color?”

“No, it’s good, but I’ve been used to see your blonde hair instead,” told her. “Personally, I think that fits you better. I like this more.”

“So that makes you like me more,” he smirked. “Look at yourself, you’re blushing right now.”

Jiyoon did feel her face burning. “I just said I like your new hair color more!”

“Hmm…” he poked her playfully. “Just admit it now. No need to think about your dignity on this.”

“Your darker hair makes you look less stupid,” she muttered. “It makes you look better, that’s all!”

Chunji laughed hard all of a sudden. “Really, you’re not good at lying, Jiyoon-ah. You keep blushing.”

Her eyes shot daggers at him. “I’m just trying to flatter you,” she rolled her eyes.

“Well, that worked though. Don’t worry,” he poked her cheek. “Thank you, dear. Glad that I chose the right color to steal your attention,” he continued laughing.

“Food to the rescue!” Jiyoon tried to drift away from the talk, clapping on her own seeing the waitress was coming with a tray full of food towards them. “Now please let me have my meal at ease, okay?”

“Bon appétit, ma chérie,” he said while getting ready to eat.

Jiyoon who was preparing her utensils paused. “Since when you speak french?” inquired her. “Yours isn’t that bad, I got to admit.”

“What’s got into you that you started praising me that much today?” Chunji asked back after munching his food. “Thanks again, by the way.”

“I’m just impressed by the fact that you’ve changed a lot since the last time I met you,” she simply shrugged.

Chunji choked from the flattery. “I did change my hair color, but I’m not that new on french. It’s just a little basic I know.”

Jiyoon couldn’t help to smile at him. “Bon appétit, Chanhee-ya.”

They spent much time for desserts, having another little chats and quarrels as time passed by. Then it came to the moment when Jiyoon felt it was wrong to spend her time that way. Had she been spending fun times with Chunji while Changjo wasn’t there for her? Casually chatting and joking with Chunji just like the old days before Changjo turned officially hers? Putting the missing Changjo aside since he couldn’t be contacted and going for Chunji instead?

Don’t worry too much, Changjo. I won’t let him go far again. The words she vowed to Changjo echoed in her head, testing her common sense. Have you forgotten those already? Changjo was already worried as hell on Chunji’s phone calls and now you’re even going out for a date lunch with him? The thoughts silenced her up in a sudden.

“Jiyoon-ah?” Chunji waved his hand in front of her face, waking her up. “Are you okay?”

Jiyoon couldn’t help but startling. “Uh… I… I’m alright,” she stammered. “I’m going to the toilet first.” She then left him confused and worried.

What the heck am I doing today…? She asked her reflection in the mirror. Is that you, Jiyoon? Is that you?

The scenes of her and Changjo started haunting her mind. Changjo’s worries, her promises, her annoyance on Chunji all the time back then, those all weren’t in accordance with the things that were happening currently. Those didn’t match. Those didn’t make sense. She couldn’t deny it that she had fun that day. She did have fun, with Chunji. Yet she couldn’t believe she could even think of that. She was having fun with Chunji.

“Are you okay?” Chunji asked the same question when she got back to her seat. “You don’t seem so.”

Jiyoon forced a weak smile. “There’s nothing to worry about, Chanhee. I didn’t go to the toilet to vomit like I did yesterday.”

“Don’t fake a smile at me. I know you’re lying,” he shot right away. “What’s wrong?”

“Well, I’m just a bit dizzy. Nothing else, really,” she tried to make an excuse.

Chunji checked her forehead using the back of his hand. “It’s slightly warmer. I should take you home now,” announced him. “Come on.”

Jiyoon frowned at him who had got up from his seat. “But… the bill?”

“I have it done already. Come on.” He flashed a smile as he helped her getting up.

“I’ll pay mine to you then,” replied her.

Chunji chuckled, “No need. It’s my treat. And no complains please.”

Jiyoon couldn’t do anything else but sighed. “Thank you, Chanhee. Sorry for my taunts on you,” she spoke. “But that doesn’t mean I’ll stop mocking you.” She showed a wide grin at him.

“Haish! Just being you,” he scoffed. “You’re welcome, my dear.”

They just got into Chunji’s car when his phone started ringing. “What’s up, Hyung?” Chunji asked right away after he picked the call up. “What?” His surprise at the caller’s response caused Jiyoon to turn her head at him.

Chunji glanced back at her as he listened to the caller. “I… Maybe I’ll come to your place later today. Is that okay?” he was then reflexively nodding his head at the caller’s words. “Yeah, okay. See you, Hyung.”

“Is everything okay?” Jiyoon questioned hesitantly.

“It’s CAP hyung,” his answer got a simple ‘Oh’ from her. “He just knew what happened to Changjo.”

“What?” she couldn’t help herself to be excited in a sudden. “I… I mean… what did he say?”

Chunji shook his head. “He hasn’t told me anything about it. I’m going to meet him to talk about it after I drive you home,” replied him.

“Why don’t we meet him now?” she encouraged herself to demand it right away.

“No, Jiyoon. You have to rest as soon as possible. I’m gonna tell you about it after. I promise.”

But she couldn’t accept that easily. She wanted to hear the info with her own ears. “Do you guys mind if I join the talk?” she raised her eyebrow suspiciously. “I… I’m sorry if I intervene too much.”

“No! We don’t! I’m just worried about your current health. I think it’s better for you to rest. That’s all. I didn’t intend to drive you off,” he explained.

“If you really don’t mind, then let’s just meet CAP now. I’m not that sick. Don’t worry,” she insisted. “I... I want to know what’s going on also.”

Chunji sighed in defeat, “Okay then. Let me ask him whereabouts.” He then started dialing CAP’s number. “Where are you now, Hyung?” he didn’t bother to greet him first. “Wait for me there. I’m coming.”

“Where is he?” asked Jiyoon as he ended the call. Anxiousness started growing inside her since the mention of Changjo.

“He’s at the coffee shop we usually go to,” he replied while starting the engine. He clearly sighed heavily before turning at Jiyoon again. “Are you sure you don’t want to go home directly?” his doubt was answered by a sure nod of her. “Just tell me whenever you want to go home, okay?”

Jiyoon was drowned into her thoughts after giving another nod to Chunji. Her regrets decreased a bit knowing that at least her stupidity was paid by the enlightenment she’s going to get soon. Her heart was thumping harder as she looked forward to what she’s going to hear. I hope you’re all well, Changjo-ya. She closed her eyes and drowned deeper into her thoughts.

“Jiyoon-ah,” later Chunji whispered while tapping her hand lightly. “We’ve arrived.”

She was once again startled. She had fallen asleep thinking about Changjo. I didn’t talk in my sleep, right? I didn’t, did I?

Jiyoon then got off the car and walked into the coffee shop with the lead of Chunji. “Hi, Hyung,” Chunji greeted first as they finally met him. But CAP didn’t even bother himself to greet him back. Instead, he was staring at Jiyoon in disbelief.

“Jiyoon?” he called her in doubt. He glanced at Chunji after getting a nod and a smile from the girl. “What’s going on here, huh? Did I miss something?” he raised his eyebrow at Chunji.

“You didn’t miss anything,” Jiyoon answered first. “We just happened to meet accidentally yesterday and we had lunch just now. Nothing special,” she smiled as she took a seat beside him. Chunji just smirked in bitterness before taking a seat as well.

“Yesterday we also happened to talk about Changjo,” Chunji started the talk. “She hasn’t been in contact with him too. She heard about this and she wanted to join us here.”

“Only if you don’t mind,” she added. “I can leave the two of you if you think I’m intervening. It’s okay.” She ended her words with another smile.

The reaction she got from him was a laugh. “Why should I? I’ve taken you as a part of us to some extent,” told him. “Just take it easy. I won’t discrete any information I know to you.”

“So, it’s all fine, right?” Chunji made sure. “You may start telling us about it now.”

CAP took a deep breath. “I accidentally met Minhyuk Hyung earlier,” he started off. “He’s Changjo’s older brother, for your info,” he told Jiyoon personally. “I couldn’t help to try finding out about Changjo. He was pretty jittery when I asked about him at first. But however, he revealed everything after I tried my best to argue that we need to know at least the basic info about what’s going on.”

“Changjo doesn’t want us to know about this matter actually, none of us. He told Minhyuk for times about it. That’s why he’s hesitating so hard before he could come to his common sense that we also deserve to know. Minhyuk himself still doesn’t understand his reason until now. He kept asking Changjo why, but he got nothing. He doesn’t want to speak up about it. When he met me, he couldn’t help himself to tell me in the end since he thinks that it doesn’t make sense to leave us uninformed at all.”

CAP took another deep breath before continuing his story telling. “Changjo is getting married soon.”

Jiyoon ‘s heart skipped a beat. It’s not a misheard. It’s definitely not.

“Changjo… what?” Even Chunji couldn’t get it right. He was staring seriously at CAP, doubting him.

“Changjo is getting married soon. He’s preparing for his marriage,” CAP repeated.

“With…whom?” Jiyoon challenged herself to seek more.

CAP sighed at her query, “This is the main root of the problem. It’s arranged. Minhyuk said that Changjo has been avoiding this matter for almost a year. He couldn’t do anything else but to give up in the end. His dad has been insisting to arrange both of their marriage.”

“Both? Minhyuk is getting married also?” Chunji’s question was replied by a sure nod of CAP. “Geez. I can’t believe there’s still arranged marriage these days.”

CAP shrugged. “It’s been hard on him. Our trip to Japan was actually his runaway until his dad ordered Minhyuk to drag him back home since it’s coming closer,” he continued. “He wouldn’t make it though. He’ll be traced easily no matter what. His dad got the power.”

Chunji shook his head, still in a dazed state. “How about Minhyuk? Is he okay with it?”

“He’s always been a good boy. God kept all the bad away from him to be fully poured on the youngest,” CAP sarcastically answered.

Jiyoon who had been watching the talk in silence all along finally spoke up in a weak whisper. “Chanhee-ya, can we go home now?”

 


A/N:

Hopefully there's someone who's waiting for this update still. Sorry for the very late update!

Comments are always welcomed! By the way, reach me on Twitter: @cjonghrrr :-)

I'll be glad to talk to you all. Let's be friends! x