Truth

The Roommate

"Let's have dinner first," told Jiyoon. "I'll treat tonight," she added, answering Chunji's questioning gaze. "What do you want?"

"You," Chunji answered with a straight face.

Jiyoon rolled her eyes. "Seriously, Chanhee."

"I'm serious!" Chunji exclaimed, laughing. "Okay, okay, don't be so pouty, girl. Let's go for ramen." He teasingly poked her.

"I'm not buying! I'm fed enough by that ramen! What's so special, really? Haish!" Jiyoon nagged. "I shouldn't have asked you from the start," she sighed. "Come on, follow me." She dragged him along.

They ended up at McDonald's, again. "Not a happy meal again, Jiyoon-ah," Chunji warned her.

The girl eyed him. "Ya! I'm the one buying! It's up to me!" she tucked out her tongue. The cashier was watching the two quarrelled all along, anticipating for their order. "Chanhee, look! It's Monsters Inc. series!" Jiyoon excitedly told Chunji who didn't show any interests. "Two happy meals please." She made a sign with her fingers.

"Ya! Really?! You're too-" Chunji's words were cut off as she smothered him. The cashier was holding back her laughter on their quarrel. 

Jiyoon was then happily bringing the tray with Chunji tailing behind her. "So, this one is for you." She passed one Mike mini plushie to him. "And this one is for me!" she took the other Mike plushie and played with it.

Chunji was staring blankly at her who was busy with her plushie. Later, he found himself smiling stupidly at her innocence. "8 years old Kim Jiyoon striked again," he said as he unwrapped his burger, shaking his head.

"Just shut up and eat, ahjussi." Jiyoon glared. "You should've been grateful to have a free dinner. I'm kind enough tonight."

 

They were walking back to the hostel, still chatting and joking all along. Jiyoon felt more comfortable with their status that time, as best friends. Deep inside she hadn't fully shrug off that guilty feelings which had been burdening her lately. She still felt guilty for Chunji. But back to her first case, Chunji had made her mad first. She kept telling herself that it's then paid off, no more guilty feelings.

"Jiyoon-ah." The girl just turned her body to face him when he already wrapped her into a tight hug. Chunji her hair softly as he leaned his cheek on her head. He inhaled deeply with his eyes closed, cherishing every single second he spent since he didn't know when he could have those moments again. His eyes were struggling to hold back his tears from falling. He didn't expect to 'end' their relationship that soon. Moreover, the fact that it had been fake all along made it worse.

Jiyoon was left speechless in his hug. That guilty feelings came around again. I broke him, didn't I?

She leaned on his shoulder as her arms slowly circled his body, embracing the broken pieces of him. Chunji kept her hair in silence. The guy couldn't let her go yet. He wouldn't. While the girl stood still, hugging the guy, drenched in guilt. She tried her best to at least soothe him.

Chunji let out a heavy sigh as he pulled himself away slowly. "Come on." With a forced smile, he took her by the hand.

Jiyoon followed him. was shut, letting her hand talked by tightening her grip on his hand.

The boys' protests were launched at Chunji and Jiyoon as they went into their room; protesting on being left behind for dinner, assuming that they made it private just for the two of them.

"Don't be so sulky! She took me to McDonald's and look what I've got!" Chunji nagged, shoving out the Mike mini plushie out of his pocket. Jiyoon laughed in satisfaction seeing how annoyed Chunji was.

"But hyung! You know I love happy meals!" Ricky exclaimed.

"Grow up, Changhyun!" Changjo smacked his best friend. The two then continued their own quarrel.

"Go buy dinner, Changhyun-ah," CAP butted into the quarrel just to make the cutie annoyed more.

"Why always me?! There are Niel, Changjo, and L.Joe too!" he protested.

"I've bought dinner before," defended Changjo. "I'm sleeping!" L.Joe ran onto his bed. Their gazes turned to Niel right away, even Jiyoon and Chunji whom had been watching the talk.

Niel hissed. "Delivery service isn't existed for nothing." He tucked out his phone and started dialing. "Tell me your order, jerks."
 

"Yours." Changjo threw the mini plushie to Ricky as he unpacked their dinner. Ricky ordered a happy meal for real.

"You hurt Sulley, Choi Changjo!!" Ricky his Sulley plushie. Changjo shot a disgusted stare at him who was busy examining his plushie instead of eating his dinner.

Chunji laughed in a sudden. "You're just the male version of Jiyoon," he said to Ricky. Jiyoon, who was sitting next to Chunji, slapped his thigh right away. "The female one is more violent than the male one," added Chunji.

"Hyung, wake up." Niel shook CAP's body. The oldest grunted as he pulled his blanket up to his head. "Dinner has arrived. It's fine if you're not having yours. There are lots of empty stomach that could get it done." CAP jerked up and joined the feast by Niel's threat. It's only food which could wake him up.

"Chunji hyung, your turn to wake the Sleepyhead No. 2," told Ricky. The ordered elder clicked his tongue before approaching his bed. Chunji pulled L.Joe's legs harshly in one go until he slipped off the bed, falling on his on the carpet.

"Lee Chanhee you bastard!" L.Joe kicked Chunji's legs who was walking away from their bed, made him stumbled and fell onto CAP's back.

CAP's full mouth stopped munching his burger as he turned to glare at Chunji. "It's Byunghun!!" Chunji blamed L.Joe who kept trying to get his revenge by kicking Chunji with all his might. Chunji then successfully escaped and made his way back to sit beside Jiyoon.

The boys were then all gathered to have their own serving. "So, what did the couple do today?" asked Niel.

"Wandered around and had dinner as usual." Jiyoon sneakily tapped Chunji's thigh as she talked to Niel. "By the way, we have something to tell you guys," Jiyoon announced.

"What is it?" CAP raised his eyebrow. It's the time now? Changjo thought.

"I'll tell after you finish eating. Preventing you to die from choking."

"You two are getting married?" L.Joe asked.

"Or Jiyoon is pregnant already?" Niel insisted with the pregnant thingy. Changjo mentally laughed at those assumptions.

"Ya! You guys are too much!" Jiyoon eyed them.

"It's not his first time assuming that you're pregnant, just so you know," Ricky commented. Jiyoon crumpled the tissue she's been holding and threw it to Niel.

"So what is it?" Changjo broke the ice soon after they finished their dinner. Jiyoon stared at him for a moment, wanting to glare at him, but she's worried that the others might be suspicious. Changjo stared back at her, trying not to act unusual in front of the others.

Jiyoon nudged Chunji, giving him sign to talk first. She startled the guy since he was unconfident as well. Chunji inhaled deeply before chuckling a bit to loosen up his tense. "How should I tell them?" he asked Jiyoon instead.

"Haish!" she hit him. The rest were anticipating whatever they're gonna tell them. "Uhm, well, I think we have to be sorry first." Jiyoon showed her famous awkward grin.

"Because we....have been tricking you all." Chunji joined the awkward grins parade.

The guys frowned, except Changjo who was straightfaced all along. Fortunately Chunji didn't have any suspicion on him since he was too focused on squeezing his brain to talk, although he ended up failed. "We're actually not dating." Jiyoon rubbed the back of her neck while her grin was still plastered on her face.

The guys were blinking in disbelief at them while Chunji and Jiyoon were still grinning stupidly, not knowing what else they should have said. It then undoubtedly turned into an awkward silence. Jiyoon sneakily poked Chunji, asking him to do something. "Ya!" Chunji snapped his fingers in front of their dazed faces.

"Guys, please don't be mad." Jiyoon bit her lip anxiously.

"The heck you two faked those PDAs?" L.Joe finally spoke. The two nodded at him. Their grins hadn't faded away from their faces. L.Joe was being suspicious on the couple. He noticed something's off from Chunji.

"Ah really, you're too much!" Ricky whined. "Just be mine then, Jiyoon-ah!" Changjo's eyes widened at Ricky's words.

"Ya! Mwoya!!" The rest bashed him right away.

Jiyoon couldn't help to blush slightly at Ricky's sudden shot. "I'm not throwing myself into the burning abyss of hell by dating one of you guys."

Let's see if I could make it, Jiyoon's statement placed a challenge in Changjo's mind.

"So, what are you two for real?" CAP emphasized.

"We?" Jiyoon turned to Chunji and smiled. "He's my best oppa." She hugged him and kissed his cheek before leaning on his shoulder.

Chunji smiled stupidly while Changjo's face tautened. "Ya! Ya! that's unfair!!" Niel protested.

"Man, you kissed for times, right?" CAP later realized it like Changjo did before. "Damn you, Chanhee!" L.Joe joined. Chunji let out his evil laugh.

"It's nothing, guys. I never let him go further than a light peck. He would've been dead if he did," told Jiyoon.

Then what kiss did we have before? Light peck? Really? Well, forget it. Chunji held back his laughter while remembering the scene. You kissed me back, dear.

"But still it's unacceptable!!" Ricky barked again.

Changjo patted him. "Chill, my friend, chill." He then shoved the Sulley plushie onto Ricky's face. "This can do," he teased Ricky. The cutie pouted, he snatched the plushie and threw it to Changjo.

"Ya, Changhyunnie what's wrong?" CAP laughed at Ricky's sullen face.

"It's not like I took her ity away!" Chunji's plea made him got slapped by Jiyoon. "What was that for? You're still a , aren't you?" he lightly chuckled.

"The heck you're talking about, Lee Chanhee! Of course I am!" she snarled.

"Ah, I'm disappointed since I've been rooting for you two," Niel trailed off.

"You really expected him to impregnate her or what?" L.Joe laughed louder than CAP before.

"Kind of," Niel shrugged.

Jiyoon grabbed the closest pillow and smacked him with it. "Screw you, Daniel!"

"Funny how you dissed each other back then and now you take him as your oppa," CAP commented.

"Back then you said? It doesn't change! She disses me everytime!" Chunji exclaimed.

"True though," Jiyoon acknowledged.

"By the way guys, I have to go back to Seoul on the day after tomorrow." Niel grinned in bitterness. "I have something important to be done," he explained faster before the rest could ask him.

"Can I go with you?" Ricky's unexpected question made them turned to him right away. "Actually my mom keep demanding me to come back home since my brother has moved out last week," Ricky answered those confused stares at him.

"Guys, really, why so soon?" CAP couldn't hide his disappointment. The rest agreed in chorus.

"It's a must for me," Niel shrugged.

"Me as well. My mom started nagging in the latest calls." Ricky puffed his cheeks.

"Eomma's little boy," Changjo again. Ricky glared at the culprit.

"Changhyunnie~ go home, Changhyunnie~" Chunji impersonated Mrs. Yoo's voice.

"Ya, you're so mean." Jiyoon smacked Chunji's back.

"Just let them be, Jiyoon-ah. I'm not letting any single spoon of my mom's dish going down their throat when they visit my house later." Ricky tucked out his tongue at his two friends.

"Andwae andwae andwae!" Changjo clinged to Ricky, begging for forgiveness. "Your place is my second home." Indeed, Ricky's place would always be the only one in his mind everytime he had a bad time at home.

"Your mom couldn't resist not to feed your friends," Chunji smirked winningly.

"Ah whatever! I have to go home!"

******

"Tell me what's actually going on," L.Joe demanded right after they stepped out the hostel on the next morning. "I knew it, Chanhee. I know you."

Chunji smiled bitterly. "She tricked me. It's her revenge for my stupid joke that time, you know." His gaze was down on his feet, on his soulless steps.

"Just..how dare her?" L.Joe's anger was burnt up a bit by knowing his buddy had been Jiyoon's object of joke.

"It's been my fault from the start," Chunji paused, "I was too confident to get her." Chunji let out a low regretful chuckle.

L.Joe was left speechless by Chunji's responds. "How could you take these all easily like that? She played you!"

"I played her before and she played me back." Chunji shrugged. His mind couldn't stop replaying the scene. The awful scene of the bitter truth he had to swallow.

It's Chunji who was heartbroken but somehow L.Joe was the one who's getting frustrated. "But you didn't mean to! Chanhee, why you're so-"

"Enough, Byunghun. It's not her fault, it's a major misunderstanding. Just..stop," Chunji trailed off. L.Joe didn't talk more. He gulped watching Chunji hung his head low in silence. "It's been my fault from the start," he repeated. "It's been mine."

L.Joe felt bad for bringing up the topic. He couldn't stand seeing Chunji lived in despair yet he had no idea how he could comfort him.

"I might accept her reason quite easily, but what hurt me is that-" Chunji choked on his words as he tried to hold back his tears. "I had already asked her to marry me before she finally told me the truth."

L.Joe's face was flustered than ever. "You...what?" he half forced Chunji to look at him. "You've asked her to marry you?!"

Chunji sighed heavily. He nodded, swallowing down the bitterness again.

Chunji had been faking it up after the harsh fact got him. His acts were the best since he had always been bright. It's not a big deal to act bright, to act as his old self.

But there's nothing he could do. It's all done. It's all fake.

Deal with it, Chanhee.