First Walk

The Roommate

The boys and Jiyoon stayed in the hostel that day for a ‘rest’. They were fully charged as they just had had their lunch, the unhealthy one. They called a food delivery service since they really weren’t going anywhere. The boys created such a ruckus in their room while Jiyoon was only watching them from her bed, sometimes smiling and laughing at their incurable stupidity. The upper bed occupants; Ricky, Chunji, and Niel; were sitting cross legged down on the carpet with the other three.

“Ya! Jiyoon-ah! Come down here!” Chunji shouted, staring up at Jiyoon’s bed. Changjo unconsciously followed his gaze, but moved it away as soon as his gaze met Jiyoon’s.

“I’m getting deaf already just by staying up here.”

“You’ll get used to it soon, just join us here!” Niel replied.

“Man, you’re no fun,” CAP hissed.

Jiyoon sighed, “Okay, okay.” She climbed down and sat cross legged as well between Niel and Chunji.

“Why don’t you guys go out today?” Jiyoon started the talk, using the good chance when the boys were quieted down.

“Ya! You’re kicking us out?” Gangjoe asked back jokingly. His question earned a smack on the head by Chunji.

“Gah! Don’t get it wrong!” Jiyoon was flustered. “Something’s wrong with my words arrangement?” she frowned to Niel.

“No, it’s just L.Joe being L.Joe.”

“Where’s the ‘hyung’?!” L.Joe striked Niel that time.

The two continued their own fight when Ricky answered Jiyoon’s actual question at the first place. “We have wandered a lot in the last few days, just getting an ‘off’ day to rest.”

But his answer brought laughter to the girl instead. “Oh guys, what you’re actually doing now will just make you more tired.”

“At least we don’t have to walk around.” CAP yawned and hugged his pillow tighter.

“Hyung, just please don’t fall asleep again.” It’s Changjo finally opened his mouth to speak for the first time since Jiyoon had moved down there with them.

“Don’t tell me what to do, maknae.”

“Ya! You’re sleepyhead is really bothersome! I had to cool down the annoyed staff last night, you know!” Changjo talked back.

“You didn’t have to get your ownself bothered actually. You could just leave me alone there,” CAP argued in a higher tone.

“If it's just you, I'd have left you! But that hyung over there was also there as well!” Changjo pointed at L.Joe who were grinning widely.

“Byunghun was there too?” L.Joe nodded at CAP. “Gah! You should stop following me!” CAP snarled at L.Joe.

“Oh my God, Jiyoon. Don’t take it seriously, girl!” Niel laughed at Jiyoon’s stiff face with her eyes focused on the quarrel between the guys. “Guys, guys! You scared her!” Niel told the others.

“It’s our way of joking,” Chunji told her as well. The quarrelling guys were then chuckling at Jiyoon’s expression, except Changjo.

“If that was your very own way to joke, I really couldn’t imagine how you guys fight for real,” Jiyoon trailed off.

“We don’t fight.” CAP smiled. “We bully.”

“So, what happened last night?” Ricky asked.

“CAP hyung and L.Joe hyung overslept in the common room again,” Changjo explained shortly, skipping the I-woke-Jiyoon-up part.

CAP and L.Joe were protesting to defend themselves against Changjo. “Ya, Jiyoon-ah, I’ve told you to wake me up!” CAP tried to blame it on her. “Yeah I asked you to wake me up as well!” L.Joe joined the protest.

“Hell happened guys, I fell asleep.” Jiyoon grinned in bitterness. “If Chunji didn’t force me to watch such a cheesy movie then maybe I would have waken you both up!” she defended. Chunji made a face on her words.

“So you two were in the common room too? I thought you’re sleeping on your bed, hyung.” Niel stirred in confusion.

“Don’t tell me you didn’t realize your hyungs leaving one by one? Like for real? Gosh!” Chunji rolled his eyes.

“You two were so damn noisy on your games last night!” CAP turned to nag on Niel and Ricky. “That forced us to move to the common room!” L.Joe added.

“Ya! Hyung! You could have just scold us or something first!” Ricky argued.

“We did!!” The hyungs shouted in unison, shutting the cutie up.

“Ah, okay.” Ricky shrugged while Niel was hiding himself behind Jiyoon.

“Why don’t we go out somewhere now? Then we could get dinner too.” L.Joe couldn’t stand the boredom anymore.

“I think you’re having a rest today?” Jiyoon scanned the others’ faces.

“Turns out an off day .” L.Joe pouted. “I’m tired of sleeping actually,” CAP mumbled.

“Oh my God, hyung! What did you just say? You’re tired of sleeping?? Miracle!” Niel sarcastically commented.

“So, where are we going?” Changjo asked lazily.

“Wherever our hearts take.” Ricky patted maknae’s shoulder, getting a hiss from the younger.

“Go get ready then,” Chunji ordered the boys before turning to Jiyoon. “Ya! Why are you sitting still there? Go get ready too!”

“Me?” the lost Jiyoon stared at Chunji.

“Who else?” Chunji rolled his eyes.

Jiyoon stole a glance at the others. “Is it fine if I’m joining you guys?”

“Why not? It would be fun!” L.Joe answered first, the others agreed in unison. Except one silent guy who never commented on anything with Jiyoon involved, Changjo. He pretended to be busy getting ready so the hyungs wouldn’t question his silence much.

“Changjo-ya! It’s okay if Jiyoon joins us, right?” Ricky ‘dragged’ him into the talk, starting the maknae.

“Uh? Yeah fine,” he answered half heartedly without even glancing at the others who were waiting for his answer.

“So, hurry let’s go!” With Niel’s shout, everyone scattered to their own bed to prepare themselves.

It would be fun. It would be fine.

******

“The dinner’s great, wasn’t it?” Chunji slung his arm around Jiyoon’s neck as they walked back to the hostel after dinner.

Jiyoon was slowly getting used by his ‘friendly’ actions towards her. As long as he didn’t me. “Absolutely!”

“We went there almost like every night last week.” L.Joe was looking at the night sky, Changjo was walking beside him.

“We’re completely addicted!” Ricky literally jumped up and down. “Right, Niel hyung?” Ricky turned his head but Niel wasn’t in his sight. Neither was CAP. “Gah! They’re missing again!” he nagged.

They stopped and looked back, scanning the stores one by one to find the two missing friends. “There they are.” Jiyoon pointed at a food stall few metres behind. They usually left them behind, but since it’s a food stall, their hearts moved them approaching the two.

“Why didn’t you ask us to stop here too!!” L.Joe banged CAP and Niel’s heads together as they arrived at the takoyaki stall. CAP and Niel were waiting for another serving being made while having one each on their hands, trying hard to smile ear to ear with their full mouths.

Ricky stole one piece from Niel’s serving, throwing it into his mouth right away. “Ricky-ah it’s –“ Niel didn’t get to finish his sentence as Ricky yelled his lungs out first. “I was going to tell you it’s burning hot damn it!!” Niel scolded the younger. Ricky opened his mouth, trying to cool off the takoyaki in his mouth.

“Ya! It’s gross!!” Changjo slapped his head, not caring about their . The rest couldn’t help to laugh on Ricky’s scene.

Without Jiyoon knowing, Chunji had already holding one piece in front of . “Here.” His eyes were focused between the takoyaki and Jiyoon’s mouth, worried for the piece to drop.

The sudden appearance of the takoyaki ball made Jiyoon flinched. “But it’s hot!” she tried to avoid it.

“I’ve cooled it down!” Chunji chuckled. Jiyoon opened and ate it, frowning suspiciously. “Told ya.” Chunji winked at her who was munching silently while nodding her head at him.

Changjo who witnessed the scene pursed his lips, moving his gaze somewhere else. “Here.” Ricky pushed a piece of takoyaki into Changjo’s mouth.

“Damn it! It’s hot!” he cursed as he struggled to swallow it down.

“Oh, it was?” Ricky innocently asked and went back on eating his serving.

Just why it had to be Ricky.

“Let’s go,” CAP told them a few minutes later as he started walking with Niel.

“Ya! Hyung!! I just got my serving!!” L.Joe shouted.

“But we’re done! Annyeong~!” Niel dragged CAP to walk faster.

L.Joe eyed the two. “Ungrateful jerks!” he cursed.

“Have it first, I’ll wait for you.” Jiyoon smiled at the pissed off guy, receiving a shy smile from him.

“I’ll go to the convenience store down there first, okay? I’ll wait there,” Ricky announced before dashing off alone.

“You make me feel weird having you all staring at me like that,” L.Joe said to the remaining ones; Chunji, Jiyoon, and Changjo. “Go order yours!” Chunji then asked Changjo to order one serving to be shared.

“Jiyoon-ah, here for you.” L.Joe was offering her a piece, just like what Chunji did before.

“No, Oppa. It’s yours,” Jiyoon politely rejected.

“No, it’s okay. It’s a gift for your kindness to wait for me here.” He grinned sheepishly.

“Mwoya!” Jiyoon awkwardly laughed before eating the piece L.Joe gave her.

“Ya, don’t move, Jiyoon-ah,” Chunji told her, making her frowned at him.

“What?” Jiyoon questioned his sudden order. Chunji’s gaze were stuck on her lips before his thumb moved over it to wipe the tip of her lips gently.

Meanwhile, at the other side, Changjo was clueless when the seller asked him how many pieces he would like to have. “Hyung! How many –“ he was about to ask Chunji, but that’s when he witnessed another unwanted scene between Chunji and Jiyoon. Changjo, Chunji, and Jiyoon were all frozen on their own. L.Joe was too busy with his food, not noticing the scene in front of him. Changjo turned back to the seller. “Just give me as many as my friends got before,” he sighed.

Back to Jiyoon, she was then hanging her head low, avoiding any eye contacts with Chunji. Few minutes later, they went off after Changjo finished with his order which he passed to Chunji in the end. “You’re not eating?” he asked Changjo, not questioning his sudden change of mood and facial expression since he already got used to it.

Changjo shook his head. “Just share it with Jiyoon.”

It gave Jiyoon goosebumps everytime Changjo mentioned her name. It just felt creepy. Something’s off in his voice when he said her name. Chunji and Jiyoon stayed silent after Changjo’s words. They still couldn’t lift off the awkwardness between them. “Why are you being so quiet in a sudden?” L.Joe noticed their awkwardness, unfortunately.

“U-uh…what?” Jiyoon stuttered in shock.

“Maybe she’s just tired,” Chunji tried to find an excuse.

Not manly enough to blame others, dude, Changjo scoffed in his mind.

“You should eat this then, the good taste would energize you up.” Chunji passed the serving to her.

“I’m not eating the whole serving! He told us to share!” Jiyoon protested at Chunji, referring to Changjo’s words without mentioning his name. Her tongue couldn’t do it. Just share it. Share it in front of me.

“You eat it first, I’ll eat the rest.” Chunji ruffled her hair, trying hard to act natural in front of L.Joe. But to his unknown, his action made Changjo’s face stiffened.

“Ya! What taking you guys so long?!” Ricky nagged as he saw his friends coming. “I even emptied this large cup of drink!” but what he got were just awkward grins. He threw his cup into the bin before joining the walk.

Jiyoon and Chunji were back on quarelling. They’re doing rock-paper-scissor on deciding who would have to eat the remaining takoyaki since their stomachs were full already. L.Joe was walking with the two, laughing along. Ricky and Changjo were walking behind them. Ricky purposely made a gap between them and the other three just to release his curiosity to Changjo. “What happened?”

“Nothing,” Changjo mumbled as he kicked a pebble in front of him.

“Nothing has never been really nothing, you know,” Ricky emphasized.

“It’s really nothing! Gosh!” Changjo turned his head to Ricky. Frustrated by everything he saw before, he unconsciously blew it all on Ricky.

“Woah chill!” he showed both of his palms to Changjo in a defensive stance. “By the way, you’ve made up with her?” Changjo was flustered by the sudden question, made him remembering the argue between them before.

“Uh…” Changjo hung his head low.

“You both look fine this morning. I really thought you’ve made up with her,” Ricky continued.

“Well, at least we kinda…talked this morning? It made a difference, right?” Changjo shrugged.

“You haven’t apologize to her, have you?” Ricky felt something fishy with Changjo’s hesitancy. The maknae shook his head slowly, getting a hiss from Ricky.

“Haish. You’re just really…”

“Ya! She was the one apologizing this morning, what else could I do?!” Changjo argued.

“Apologize?” Ricky turned his head, interested.

“She suddenly took my plate away to wash it, I asked her not to but she said it was her belated apology? Kind of like that. So…yeah. I don’t think I should apologize to her, should I?” Ricky rolled his eyes on Changjo’s innocence. Well, stubbornness actually.

Changjo then moved his gaze away. He had no idea how his brain made his gaze fixed on Chunji and Jiyoon again. In his very own frame, L.Joe wasn’t there by their side. It was only Chunji and Jiyoon joking at each other. Noticing his best friend’s anomaly, Ricky followed Changjo’s gaze. He was analyzing Chunji and Jiyoon as well before he dared himself to speak his mind out to Changjo. “Don’t you think it’s obvious?”

Changjo turned to Ricky once again. “What’s obvious?” he didn’t realize that Ricky was doing the same thing as him.

“Chunji hyung,” Ricky answered, nodding his head towards Chunji.

“Eh? Obvious in what?” Changjo acted clueless.

“That he likes Jiyoon. At first I think he’s just being him for teasing her. But he really started making his real moves, didn’t he?” Ricky raised his eyebrow.

Changjo let out a forced laugh. “In just a few days? Like for real?” he actually wanted Ricky to bite his bait to tell him his opinion.

“Love can strikes you anytime.” Ricky shrugged.

“What do you think about them?” Changjo asked him right away in the end.

“For Chunji hyung, it’s obvious that he likes her. I mean, that he likes her for real, in a serious way. But I’m not yet sure about the girl to decide whether it’s a one sided love or not. She seems….unpredictable?” Changjo nodded on Ricky’s answer.

“Do you think she would fall for him? Or...she has fallen for him?” Changjo shot another questions.

“Like I said, she looks unpredictable. Maybe yes, maybe no. There’s a chance for her to fall for me also,” Ricky joked, causing Changjo to roll his eyes at his cheesy answer.

“How about the hyung on the right?” Changjo referred to L.Joe. “Do you think he likes her too?” his curiosity on Ricky’s thoughts drove him.

“Nah. I don’t think so. That hyung is always being nice to girls. Well, in different term with Chunji hyung who's just not much than a flirt,” the innocent Ricky answered Changjo’s questions without any suspicion towards him. “But yeah, I think Chunji hyung isn’t just flirting at her now. His expressions are kinda…different.”

Changjo nodded to reply. If she’s really unpredictable, the underdogs still have a chance to strike anytime, right?