Call from Hell

The Roommate

Changjo was sitting on the bed, spending his time alone in silence while waiting for Jiyoon who was taking a bath. His hand was holding the velvet ring box before he finally opened it just to find himself staring blankly at the shiny diamond ring for the next few minutes. The vague voice of Jiyoon singing from inside the bathroom was the background music for his deep thoughts. He might not be able to hear that voice of her again anytime soon, nor to see her, to hug her, and kiss her.

With his gaze still fixed at the ring, he let out a heavy sigh. His heart was broken already just to think that it would be all useless if he proposed her for nothing. It’s indeed for nothing he did it since they wouldn’t be together in the future. He would just hang her hopes high up before he vanished from her life to start a new one with he had no idea whom.

His fantasy of starting a small family with Jiyoon was just another fantasy of him that wouldn’t come alive, leaving him broken with the dust of hope. His fantasy about having a small family would really come alive after all, but without Jiyoon’s presence around. No matter how he didn’t want to even imagine it, the scenes would always tease his sanity.

He closed the box as he let out another sigh. I might abort this mission, but I promise that this ring would never end up in someone else’s finger than you. I bought this for you, only for you, and I’ve claimed this as yours, only yours. It will always belong to you. Just like my heart and my soul, it will always belong to you.

******

Changjo might have tried his best not to show his stressful self, but Jiyoon was already pro enough to notice his changes after his dad’s call he had previously. She had no idea how many times she had to repeat what she’s saying in the last few hours they had spent. His gaze had always been empty, spacing out far away out of the earth.

Jiyoon had to admit that she was slowly getting annoyed by his changes, but despite it all she was worried on what was actually happening to him. Remembering the fact how even Teen Top didn’t dare to interfere on his family matters, she decided to do the same. She kept on observing him as she tried to soothe him through her affections, wishing that those things could help him in some ways. But to Changjo himself, what she did really worked well. It worked well on crushing him down more since he knew the chance for it to last wouldn’t be more than even two weeks.

They were casually chatting later that night. Jiyoon was tidying her stuffs up on the couch while Changjo was watching her from the bed. Their talk was then interrupted with the sound of Jiyoon’s phone ringtone. Changjo reflexively took her phone which was beside him on the bed. A smirk grew on his face as he saw the caller ID. He already put the phone up to his ear before Jiyoon got to ask him whom.

Hello beautiful.” Chunji’s annoying giggle greeted him right away.

Changjo rolled his eyes, offended by his hyung’s incurable foppery. Moreover, it’s directed to his girlfriend that time. “Hello, Hyung.” Jiyoon smirked when she finally realized whom calling from Changjo’s responds.

Ya! Where’s she?!” Changjo successfully annoyed his hyung since he didn’t expect him to be the one talking to him instead.

“She’s in the bathroom,” told him shortly while looking at Jiyoon. “What is it, Hyung?” Chunji’s call had switched his protective mode on.

Chunji hissed. “I’m calling her. Not you, bastard.”

“Just in case you have something important, maybe I could tell her your message or whatever it is,” he scoffed back.

No, I wouldn’t leave my messages through you. I bet you wouldn’t tell it to her,” replied him.

“Exactly.” Changjo mouthed to Jiyoon who was already moved onto the bed, watching attentively across him. He then switched the call to the speaker mode for her.

“Why? Worried if your seductive messages would turn out like I’m the one teasing her instead?” he quipped, mockingly chuckled at his hyung. “Indeed Lee Chanhee the mega flirt.”

Chunji hissed again. “Shut up maknae.”

“Chanhee!” Jiyoon shouted in a sudden, causing Changjo to get pissed off since he didn’t expect her to into his talk with Chunji although it’s actually her call. She grinned at Changjo’s sullen face.

There you are finally. Changjo annoys me a lot,” he muttered. “I really miss you, Jiyoon-ah.”

Changjo was mouthing curses which made Jiyoon smothered her own mouth to hold her laugh. “I miss you too, Oppa,” answered her as she winked at Changjo whose eyes widened at her answer.

How’s it going there? Does Changjo treat you good?” asked Chunji who was clueless that the call was actually on speaker mode.

“Everything’s good here, but Changjo… he treats me worse.” She mad boyfriend more. Chunji undoubtedly started nagging right away. “I’m kidding, Chanhee. Don’t scold him,” she laughed. “He treats me better. I might say it’s the best during our stay here. Don’t worry.” She hugged Changjo and left a kiss on his cheek carefully not to make any smooching sound.

The fact that I left you alone with that brat bothers me big time,” he chuckled.

Changjo shot a disgusted look as he was back on cursing silently. “Don’t worry, Chanhee, really. It’s a good thing to have Changjo here though. I’m not all alone. At least I have someone to quarrel with,” she laughed. “How is it there in Osaka? Send my greetings to those sleepyheads.”

So far so good, but it would be great if you’re here with me.” Changjo gritted his teeth when he heard Chunji’s tease. “I’ll tell them your greetings when they’re back. They’re going out right now,” he said. “When are you going back to Korea?”

Jiyoon puffed her cheek. She had to end her runaway as well anytime soon. “I’m not sure, but I have to be home before my dad,” replied her.

How about Changjo?” Chunji continued questioning.

Jiyoon hesitantly glanced at Changjo whose face undoubtedly darkened at his question. “He doesn’t know either. How about you then? When are you going home?” she tried to drift the talk away from Changjo.

We’re going home soon, but we’ve been thinking about going back to Tokyo for a few days first,” told him.

“Tokyo? You’re going back here first?” Jiyoon asked him back as she looked at Changjo in panic. Changjo himself stiffened at the news. There were only two options for him, letting his hyungs found out about them or pretending they’re just friends and let Chunji clung around her like he used to.

Uh-huh. Are our beds still unoccupied there?” Jiyoon nudged Changjo, asking for help, but he didn’t budge. What she didn’t know was that Changjo was more lost than her.

His silence forced Jiyoon to take her own decision. “Well, we actually moved to a smaller room a few days after you guys went since there’s a big group taking over our old room,” she explained carefully. “So, we’re not sure whether it’s available or not by now.”

Chunji stayed quiet for a moment. “Smaller room? For just the two of you?” his suspicions couldn’t be hidden from his voice.

Changjo shrugged at Jiyoon whom asking for another help. “Uh, yeah. Kind of. We have no other choice since it’s the only vacant room.” She tried to make an excuse. “You don’t need to worry though. It’s a bunk bed,” she awkwardly chuckled to ease Chunji’s tense. “Most of the hotels and hostels are occupied during this time, they said.”

A relieved sigh could be heard from the line across. “If so, probably we’ll not be coming back to Tokyo. We’re just going home from here instead,” he half-heartedly said, still not willing to break his fantasies on meeting Jiyoon again soon. “Haish, then it means I couldn’t see you in a short time,” he muttered.

Changjo crossed his arms on his chest as his face turned more sullen. “End the call,” he mouthed threateningly to Jiyoon.

Jiyoon nodded vigorously to calm her guy. “Yeah, but we could always meet later in Seoul, Chanhee. Don’t worry,” she giggled in acting. “So, don’t forget to send my greetings for CAP and L.Joe oppa, okay?”

I’ll tell them, dear.” Jiyoon somehow imagined Chunji was smiling as she heard him chuckled lightly. “What are you up to now?”

Jiyoon glanced at Changjo who’s then glaring at her. “Well, actually I’m about to sleep now. Do you mind if I end the call now?” she hesitantly asked.

I mind, a lot.” He pretended to sulk. “I’m joking. Just go to sleep, it’s already late though. Good night, my princess. I’ll appear in your nice dream tonight,” he giggled.

Jiyoon forced a laugh in reply as she didn’t dare to look at Changjo since she already knew how his face would look like that moment. “Good night, Chanhee.”

She heavily sighed when she finally ended the call. “Ya, chill.” She kissed Changjo’s cheek. He was badly pissed off with his hyung although he knew it wasn’t totally Chunji’s fault since he had no idea that Jiyoon was his.

“You should’ve butted into the talk,” he muttered, moving his gaze away from her.

“I’m sorry. I had no idea that you would be this annoyed.” She held his hands as she tried to look into his eyes. “I’m sorry.”

Changjo pulled her into his hug, feeling guilty for hitting the roof, for doubting her love for him. But he didn’t get mad for nothing. His recent state caused him to be all protective on her before he realized that it would be all useless since he’s going to lose her anyway. He was in denial all along. Chunji’s call brought him to again realize that his hyung was definitely still in the race to get Jiyoon no matter what.

They tucked themselves into the bed. Changjo nearly spent half of the night staring at the ceiling while having the girl snuggled to him. Seconds, minutes, hours weren’t enough for him to find a way out of his problem. His dad’s decision was absolute. He knew how hard-headed his dad was, just like him. Once he said a thing, it would always be it.

Leaning his cheek on top of her head, his eyes turned glassy. Remembering they hadn’t even passed a whole week as a couple just made it hurt more. The joy he tasted after almost a whole month of hardships felt like nothing. Probably God just gave his last few days as a consolation prize for him before he got to live his awaiting hell.

All of his hyungs were completely clueless, both on the fact he’s dating Jiyoon and his arranged marriage. During his nomad times before, he would always tell them that he fought with his dad, without telling them the real deal behind it all. Usually they didn’t ask more since they had known that he didn’t go along well with his family, especially his dad. Lots of speculation had actually crossed through their minds, but nobody would bother to mind it too much knowing that the boy himself didn’t seem like in need for their helps.

In conclusion, his hyungs cluelessness would just make it like he never dated Jiyoon. Nothing had changed since his hyungs left. It had always been the same to them. Changjo and Jiyoon didn’t get along well, quarrelling and fighting all the time, hating each other all of their lives.

Being honest, he didn’t want that to happen. He didn’t want his hyungs to picture him as someone who hated Jiyoon. He wanted to tell the truth, but what’s the point? It would just cause World War III between him and Chunji if he did. Besides, it would be all useless. Why should he reveal the truth if he wasn’t going to be with her anymore anytime soon?

The more he thought, the more he got mad on everything. His knotty mind had blurred the lines. He had no idea who’s right and who’s wrong on the matter. He had no idea whom should he blame as well. He couldn’t get mad at his dad who wanted the best for him. Just like what he had said before, he couldn’t get mad at his dad for separating him with Jiyoon since he really had told him about the arranged marriage from almost a year before. He couldn’t get mad at Jiyoon who kept asking him what’s wrong since she cared for him. He couldn’t get mad at himself for falling for Jiyoon. The worst, he couldn’t get mad at Lee Chanhee for teasing his girlfriend since he had no idea about them.

Changjo was completely clueless about which way should he took. He didn’t heart to go straightforward at Jiyoon and reveal all the bitter truth. Being honest was always the best way, but he didn’t think it was right for that situation. White lies? It wasn’t even close to white, he admitted. No matter how often he had lived under lies, it would definitely bother him a lot that moment.

Screw all his arranged marriage matters. What he was worried for the most was Lee Chanhee. That guy was always ready with his attacks and attempts to get her for real. Jiyoon might tell the opposite to Changjo, but nobody knew what’s going to happen in the future. Changjo might let himself mourn on the rest of his life for being married to someone he didn’t love, but he wouldn’t ever want to see Jiyoon with Chunji no matter how happy she was. People would say they wanted to see their loved ones happy, but on that case, Changjo didn’t want to be a hypocrite.

Preventing himself from hitting the roof for the umpteenth time, he forced close his eyelids. It had no use. The irritating scenes started playing in his mind again, weirdly clearer in his pitch black vision. He grabbed his hair frustratingly. Teardrops finally made its way escaping down from his eyes. He smothered his mouth using his clenched fist, not wanting Jiyoon to be awakened by his cry, nor to see him cry. He pulled her closer to him with his other arm. With a kiss on her forehead, he whispered sorry from the deepest part of his heart sincerely.

 


A/N:

Hello guys, sorry for the late update. I have to admit that I've been troubled on writing this fic (maybe some of you realized that this chap was a bit shorter than the last few chaps).  I don't know why it feels so hard to translate my thoughts into words, I just don't know why. I felt guilty for not updating this fic weekly like I used to and updating the other fic instead. I hope you understand, I'm trying my best >.<

And again thank you for the new subs, please comment and upvote as well if you really think this fic worth to have those. Love you!