3:00

Miracle

“No magic could reawaken the dead” Yiyun remembered clearly what the omniscient told her. She let her eyes wander around the coffee shop, watching everyone interact with each other while some would enjoy themselves alone. She was sitting at her favorite spot, in front of the huge glass window that is facing the park across the store.

 

Once you die your memories goes along as well, losing everything you know. The only thing left is yourself. You’ll be a wandering soul around the heavens, like mine. With mercy he allowed me back to earth but clearly with a job, allocated as a timekeeper.

 

It made me wonder, why. Unfinished business he says, but wouldn’t dare to tell what it is. The deal was with every good deed, fragments of my memory as a living will come back. But truth be told I’ve only seen one vivid memory, a smiling face of a beautiful woman.

 

I have no mere thoughts about it, clearly. Since I have no clue who she is. Who she was in my life or maybe what I did to her. Hope it wasn’t bad.

 

From time to time, if I stay in idle, my mind would think of her. Wondering how she was doing, what she was like, or if I loved her. But maybe it was an unrequited love that’s why it was an unfinished business, I would sometimes concluded to let my mind rest. It wasn’t something new but it became a habit.

 

Then I met Soojung, I have no idea how or why but something tells me that something ties us together.

 

page+breakh.jpg

 

“Jessica!” Tom yelled, trying to get her attention. Krystal and Tom just arrived at a little restaurant that serves modern French cuisine, that had recently opened up. Krystal had always wanted to go there but now regretting it as she saw her sister dined at a table.

 

“Hey” She smiled at them “How are you doing?” Jessica stood up from her seat to greet the two.

 

“Never been better” Tom answered while Krystal continued to keep in silence

 

“How’s your first day?” Jessica asked, giving her sister a kiss on the cheek

 

“Spectacular” Krystal replied trying to hide the sarcasm in her tone

 

“Are you on a date?” Tom asked teasingly while Krystal is growing impatient at this little exchange

 

“Not yet, my date hasn’t arrived” Jessica sighed “How long did you wait?” Krystal then questioned. Even though she does not like her sister that much. She does not like the fact that she has been kept waiting.

 

“Where’s that bastard who kept you waiting?” Tom said, forming a fist and as if he’s readying himself to a fight. Jessica just laughed at his antic and told them to take a seat.

 

“We’ll keep you company for awhile then” Tom said, pulling a seat for the younger Jung

 

“How about you guys? What are you doing here?” Jessica then asked the two and noticed Krystal’s face change to a pinkish hue

 

“Were celebrating her internship” He chuckled “Just like our first day, remember”

 

“How could you not invite me?” Jessica exclaimed, hitting Tom on the shoulder for not doing so

 

“We thought you’ll be busy” Krystal replied, her sister has just recently came back to the country to conduct some extra research. She was just recently awarded and needless to say was out of the country for most of the time to work with other doctors and researchers.

 

“You have time to date?” Tom asked while looking through the menu

 

“I do have a social life, Tom” the older Jung answered when suddenly her phone went off.

 

“Hello?” she asked “I’ll be there” she then ended, which made the two look confuse at her sudden change of expression

 

“I have to go, some emergency in the hospital. I’ll see you tomorrow” She then said hurriedly gathering her things. She then gave her sister a hug and whispered “Goodluck” before waving goodbye to the two


“Have fun on your date” Jessica then said before leaving