2:00

Miracle

All the interns were busily changing into their uniform, the usual white lab coat with the name of the hospital stitched at the left side along with their pinned name tag, right at the chest area. They had the sky blue coloured shirt and pants that separates them from the attendings, residents, and nurses.

 

Krystal arrived late, missing the opening ceremony from the chief of surgery. She’s could not help but curse under her breath, when she remembers the arrogant sneer of the timekeeper that she wanted to slap off.

 

“What do you think you're doing?” the timekeeper roared her small eyes swiveled around to Krystal

 

“Drop me off to the hospital, I’m going to be late” She replied, letting herself settle on the back

 

“Get off” the short-haired girl said

 

“I can’t. Just drive” She demanded, nudging the older girl to start her bike. The ride was torture, she recalled. Yiyun would change her speed from fast to slow, even the people from the sidewalk was walking faster than the speed that they were on. Then suddenly the timekeeper would speed up, making her wrap her arms around her waist and screaming for her life. What was worse was that the timekeeper took another route, going on detour.

 

“I’m not allowed to meddle in people’s life, his rules” Yiyun pointed up “Though, I’m allowed to teach them a lesson” She smirked

 

Krystal groaned loudly when she opened her locker, it wasn’t a new one, it still contain the sweaty smell from the old owner of the locker. She remembered that it was a hassle disinfecting the given locker.

 

“Hey Lun, do you have some perfume with you?” Krystal asked instinctively but then caught her tongue, when the shorter girl of the two gave her a questioning look.

 

“Excuse me?” Sunyoung furrowed “Do I know you?” This petite girl was not just smart but also has some attitude to the people she doesn’t know, Krystal recalled.

 

“” Krystal said under her breath. She had to make up an excuse, she turned towards the shorter girl with an awkward smile. “I’m Soojung but you can call me Krystal” She said giving a quick bow to the girl, who continued to stare at her.

 

“Your name tag, that’s how I know your name” Krystal nervously said, praying that Sunyoung would but it

 

“Oh, I see. Here” Luna tossed to her, the younger girl then sighed in relief

 

“Who’s your attending?” Luna asked casually while tying her hair up on a bun and Krystal shut her locker close

 

“Song Qian” she answered while tying her rubber shoes

 

"Same, I heard they call her the Queen" Luna nodded, playing with her stethoscope while leaning against their locker “I hope we can survive her”

 

Krystal remembered that this was how it almost happened, minus her slip up. She then counted on her head

 

1

2

3

 

“You guys were assigned to the Queen? So did I” someone said to them, in synchrony, the two turned around at the source of the voice and they were greeted by a wide eyed man. Who was busily fixing his bangs with the mirror, sticked to his locker. “By the way I’m Kyungsoo” he said after turning around and bowing towards the two.  

 

“Choi, Do, Jung, and Park, your resident is at the end of the hall" a male resident yelled at them while checking their names out of his list.

 

Krystal remembered vividly, how nerve-wracking it was on her first day of being an intern and in the other hand, how fun it was to be a resident that terrorizes the interns. The young resident could just look at her friends, longingly, thinking about the hardship they were going to face later on. Those on-call nights that they would go on days without sleep, then there's that special feeling of being in a surgical room, and then actually participating in the surgery than watching, which usually opens up once in awhile because of those arrogant attendings that plays favoritism. Krystal chuckled “Oh dear, I’m gonna do all this things again”

 

“That’s the Queen?” Luna hesitated to believe at what she was seeing. A tall, dark haired girl with a slender figure, a beauty that could turn heads. They slowly approached the girl with caution, who was busily checking each of the charts at the nurse station.

 

“I thought it would be someone bigger and scarier from all those rumours” Kyungsoo whispered loudly

 

“Maybe she’s brilliant and they just call her the Queen because they’re jealous and maybe she’s nice” A tall girl muttered that switched the attention of the three to her’s

 

“Let me guess, your the model?” Luna sarcastically asked. She hated the idea of having someone that could possibly bring her to failure and thus hates the rumoured model in her group, which she thinks to be a freeloader in the group "She'll give up later on" she said to herself. The taller girl then gave her a glare and fastened her pace towards the resident, ignoring the remark of the shorter girl.

 

“Hi I’m Choi Jinri but you can call me Sulli” the gorgeous tall girl, who was brightly smiling towards their resident but she received a look of disapproval and a low snarl.

 

“I have five rules, memorize them” She then looked at each of the anxious interns, examining them from head to toe

 

“One, don’t bother up, I already hate you and that’s not gonna change” the four interns made an audible gulp and became more tense for their first day of work. Until now Krystal was still terrified with Victoria, the woman still has that intimidating feel around her and even when she knows the woman has a soft-heart. Victoria then started her protocol telling them to have their pagers on at all times, if anyone pages them and they have no choice but to answer it.

 

“And I run, that's rule number two” the Queen then said as she quickly walked away from the interns while gathering her charts on a pile. The interns sped up their pace to keep up with hers.

 

“Your first shift starts now and it lasts for 48 hours. You’re interns, nobodies and the bottom of the surgical food chain. You ran labs and work every single second until your body drops and don’t complain!” Dr. Song sternly said as they walked around the hospital and leading them to the on-call rooms, that has three double beds each.

 

“Sleep when you can or where you can, which brings me to rule number three. If I’m sleeping Don't-Wake-Me! unless your patient is dying. Rule number four, the dying patient should not be there when I get there cause you would have just woken me up for no good reason. Are we clear?”All three interns nodded in agreement but Krystal raised her hand

 

“Yes” Dr. Song pointed at Krystal using her chart

 

“You said five rules that was only four” Krystal then said as if regretting that she had said anything. Dr. Song’s pager suddenly went off which alerted the five of them.

 

“Rule number five when I move you move” Victoria quickly ran towards the rooftop which an incoming helicopter just landed with the four interns carrying a stretcher.

 

“What do we have?” Dr. Song asked the paramedic

 

“Stacy Ha, 16 year old female, suffering seizures from the past week”

 

 

page+breakh.jpg

 

“I did some research on each of you” Luna said while reading of a pile of paper, multitasking with her other hand sending food to . They were now having lunch in the cafeteria at three in the afternoon.

 

“You don’t sound creepy at all” Sulli muttered while shuddering each time she looks at Kyungsoo, devouring his sandwich.

 

“You have to eat” Kyungsoo commented to Sulli's disgust look. She then rested her head down at the table.

 

“Try eating after six rectal exams, the Queen hates me” Jinri frustratedly d her hair.

 

“The Queen is a resident, I have attendings hating on me” Kyungsoo shot back while messily eating the sandwich in hand, trying to get rid of the forming hunger and remembered how Dr. Lee threw him out of the patient’s room after missing a few times, trying to put an IV to the patient correctly.

 

“Did you guys know that Krystal's sister is a surgeon?” Luna then said while reading some files

 

“Isn’t that normal around here?” Kyungsoo asked innocently, finishing his sandwich

 

“Her sister is Jessica Jung. The Jessica Jung” Luna answered

 

“Omg, shut up?!” Sulli then replied back surprised by this new information

 

“Oh wow, she’s a living legend” Sulli said

 

“Yeah, she had won the Harper Avery, twice” Luna then said while holding her two fingers up

 

“I would kill to be Jessica’s sister” Kyungsoo muttered while shaking his head which made the two girls look at him with laughter.

 

“No wonder she handled that case easily” Luna said, pertaining about the first patient they got. The two nodded their heads in agreement.

 

“Stacy Ha is a pain in the ” Krystal suddenly said, arriving late for lunch and slumping her back at the remaining chair in the table. She was assigned by Victoria to take over the case while the others were running labs and other check ups. The patient had paged her multiple times in between an eight hour frame, letting her miss the chance in encountering other patients, which infuriates her.

 

“What?” Krystal asked in an annoyed tone, they then quickly shook their head and continued what they were doing

 

page+breakh.jpg

 

Krystal forcedly dragged her body towards the nurse station to drop off some charts and collect new ones for the upcoming rounds. Stacy made her run from floors to floors, paging her unnecessarily. However, she was also nervously waiting in which call it was that her patient would get another seizure. She knew from before that in any moment the girl would have another attack, in the past she arrived late to her patient's room because she did not want to have another discussion about the boredome the hospital had caused her, causing Jessica to take over her first case. She wouldn’t have it this time, she thought. Krystal then placed the charts at the desk in the nurse station and gathered a few ones.

 

“Soojung?” Someone called, she then answered instinctively and a smile perked up her face “Tom”

 

“I heard that a prodigy was here. Wow, look at you” Tom then opened his arms to give the girl a hug

 

“You’re a doctor now” he then chuckled, patting the girl at the back. Krystal tried hard to resist but her face turned to red. She let her head rest for a moment on his broad shoulder and let the moment last

 

“Well?” Tom unwrapped his arms “How was your first day?”

 

Second first day she said in her head “Exhausting and overwhelming. Lots of new things to get used to but I like it”

 

“Good, keep that positive thoughts intact for later” He chuckled while he rested his arm around her shoulders

 

“Let’s have dinner after your shift” Tom suggested “It’ll be like a celebration”

 

Krystal then recalled disagreeing to the suggestion because she was exhausted from work. But now her main reason of coming back was to get this man and so she nodded in agreement “Sure, I’d like that”

 

 

 

I was actually thinking of Tom Hiddleston and Tom Felton that's why I named the guy Tom lolol