Don't Don and Bonsang

As You Leave: A Tribute

 

Don’t Don and the Bonsang

 

                    With 2007, came the release of Super Junior’s new album. They were excited because this would be their first ‘promotional album.’ They knew they still had to work to preserve their popularity, but they also knew they now have a network of fans that will always support them to the end.

                    Heechul peered at himself in the mirror and his red hot hair. He snarled and grinned. “I look like the devil, very evil. I like it.” Kyuhyun emerged from behind the doors and sheepishly tousled his own blonde hair. Heechul looked over and snorted. “Looks like our little maknae is growing up. He’s getting old.” But he said it with affection, not forgetting how it felt to almost lose him.

                    Leeteuk walked out and the weird spikes on his head. “I feel like we’re completely having a throwback at the rock stars of the previous generation.” The others snickered and kept their old jokes to themselves.

                    The others were admiring their new hair and trying on their toughest smiles. Ryeowook looked over at Eunhyuk grimacing in the mirror and snorted. “Hyung, you look like you’re constipated. You can’t just groan at the mirror and expect to look edgy. You need to be fierce.” The two bantered back and forth, exchanging grimaces.

                    The song style would be different this time. Rather than the happy bubblegum pop, this would be edgier, a slight throwback to their first single, Twins. It was a song with a moral, telling people to stop being so materialistic, and to focus on the better things in life. The boys walked into the place where they would be shooting the music video and glanced around, absolutely agape.

                    “Whoa, this is such a cool concept. We get to run across garages. This is going to be so cool,” Donghae gushed and tried to hide his excitement. It was great to be back, on stage and performing. The music started and rehearsal began.

                    Dancing was difficult for Kyuhyun, but he slaved on. He wanted to work hard to thank the members for caring for him and to thank God for giving him a second chance. He made sure to sing his part with all the power he had but ended up coughing.

                    Immediately his brothers swarmed around him and Sungmin held him close. Leeteuk fed him water and watched anxiously as Kyuhyun regained his breath. “Aish, Kyuhyun-shi, if it hurts too much, don’t bellow! Your vocals are still fragile, and you don’t want to hurt your lungs,” Donghae admonished.

                    Kyuhyun nodded, blinking back grateful tears. He knew he would be able to make it through, as long as he had his hyungs with him. It wasn’t just Kyuhyun who worked hard. In the end, Heechul had to scream their band’s name and he did it with all his might, eventually causing him to cough up blood. The members took turns comforting one another and encouraging. After the multiple rehearsals, they sat down and started to reflect.

                    “I want this album to do well. I’m really scared that SM would be mad if we don’t do well,” Leeteuk voiced his opinions in a rare time of confession.

                    Kangin placed an arm around his leader. “Are you crazy? Of course we will succeed. We’re Super Junior, after all. And we have amazing fans. We’re going to be fine.”

                    The others huddled close and they sat there, waiting until the producer called them back to attention. The filming for the music video began. They ran across the scenes, danced their hearts out, and mouthed along to the singing. When the song was over, they gathered near the cameras to watch. A young boy shuffled outside the group, completely nervous.

                    Ryeowook looked up and smiled, gesturing him over. His small eyes peeked out from under his soft cheeks. Even with rocker costume on and a wicked violin in his hands, he could not look hard. “Henry! Come see your part!” The teen looked surprised to be addressed and shyly joined them.

                    Success for Don’t Don was not as Super Junior imagined. Although the song won the Bonsang award, the popularity was a bit slow. When the CD was first released, there were thirteen covers, one for each member. The theme was darker, but the album itself had soft ballads and R and B mixed in. The many members contributed to help compose songs, writing lyrics and raps. It did become the second bestselling album of 2007, out beating Wheesung and Lee Soo Young. It also made Super Junior popular in foreign countries, topping at number one in both Japan and Taiwan.

                    Marry U became their follow up single. The boys were slowly rising to popularity. 2008 and the rest of the years will bring multiple obstacles and sweet memories. 

 

It's my one year anniversary here, and I am forever grateful I came this far. Thank you always for your support and Super Junior Hwaiting~

We really hit the grand slam didn't we? SOOO many daesangs.

SUPER JUNIOR THE LAST MAN STANDING ♥ Monkey Emoticons