SJM - Super Girl

As You Leave: A Tribute

 

SJM – Super Girl

                    Super Junior M, at this time, also reached their peak of popularity. Following in the similar style of “Sorry Sorry,” they released “Super Girl.” Immediately, the mesmerizing and catchy tune caught people’s attention and the polished dance made everyone embrace the song. The song caught the attention of the rest of Asia and soon Super Junior M became the hottest Mandarin pop group, despite their Korean origins.

                    I myself was first introduced to them through this. I have to thank my friend who claimed that he had found a Chinese song sand by Koreans who “didn’t have accents.” I decided to check it out and immediately fell in love with Ryeowook.

                    Super Girl was released in September of 2009. The song was popular for its catchy lyrics and for the dance. China loved it and Super Junior M began to hold promotions in China. Their promotions began with fan meets, then going on variety shows.

                    “Hey, don’t you think this is a big break out from our past image?” Ryeowook asked.

                    Donghae grinned and donned on his sunglasses. “We started out in China with a more scrawny, rugged look. We were happier and more innocent. But this time, we’re going back to promote with a classier style.”

                    Hangeng was coaching the Korean members with their Chinese. He was adjusting their pronunciation, smiling as he did so. “Kyuhyun, you might as well help me teach as well. You’re pretty good at this.”

                    The maknae grinned and smiled broadly. “I try my best,” he said in a first attempt at modesty.

                    The boys were excited. They had always had great reception in China and this was something they looked forward to. It would be fun to be able to truly able to interact with the fans. They flipped through their books and dictionaries and wrote down helpful phrases as Hangeng taught them. They were eager and thrilled to be doing this.

                    “Hey, who’s better, me or Donghae?” Ryeowook protested.

                    Henry laughed. “I’m so glad that my mom speaks to me in Chinese or else I would be in big trouble.”

                    The seven of them laughed and Zhou Mi was grateful to have the subunit together. It had been too long since they last had activities and this was a fulfillment of his dreams, his and Henry’s. They recorded day and night and taught the Korean members Chinese, learning the other’s native language as well.

                    Hangeng was their gap. Just like last time, this time they also depended on him to help translate. Donghae slung an arm around Henry and grinned. “Henry! We’re going to have a lot of fun again!” the older member promised. He had always liked Henry with his adorable mocha cheeks.

                    Super Girl was released and instantly, the album debuted as number one on Taiwan’s music charts. In 2010, Super Junior M was nominated the Best Vocal Group award for this album. The members were pleased that the song hit number one and quickly became the most downloaded and helping Super Junior win Most Popular Group of the Year in the Global Chinese Golden Chart Awards.

                    The seven of them huddled together and smiled in triumph. They had done it. As SM had originally wanted them to do, they had successfully conquered China.

                    This was the start of my ELFdom, as I followed Super Junior M through all their Chinese and Taiwanese variety shows. I fell in love with their fun loving personalities. I watched all the variety shows and spent nights staying up to watch. I laughed with them and fell in love. At the time, the song was already almost a year old but I didn’t know. I loved Super Junior M and began to research more about them.

                    I went on to discover Super Junior, who conveniently had their Korean comeback with “Bonama.” That was it. I was hooked.

                    I congratulate the boys, on even now, with their new release of Breakdown, that they are able to maintain their popularity despite a hiatus of nearly two years and with the new rising of EXO-M. This shows the true power these seven boys have and the impact they would eventually have on the music industry.

 

I've been here for two years. Thank you all