SJM - U

As You Leave: A Tribute

 

Super Junior M – U

                    The most legit as well as the most developed sub-unit of Super Junior is undoubtedly Super Junior M. I am biased as anything because this was the reason why I got into Super Junior. My friend showed my Super Girl, and eventually, I saw an old talk show they were on and fell in love. There are three sections dedicated to Super Junior M because every section has its own story. This is the birth of SJM.

                    In 2008, SM was getting restless. Their brains were moving into overtime, as they tried to think of different new marketing ideas that would help them gain status as an entertainment super power. One brilliant of genius led them to China. Having once been a part of Chinese culture, Korea and China are still very much integrated. What better way to be well known than to expand into China? And what better group to do so with than the one with a Chinese member? Without hesitation, SM called upon the thirteen boys of Super Junior.

                    They all gathered and SM began to plot. Which boys were not already busy? Which boys had the talent? Hangeng was a shoo-in, but which of his other bandmates can they throw in with him? They finally settled on new faces; people who were not involved in SJT. They needed visuals, and talent. And with these boys, they got the entire criterion checked.

                    Hangeng- Chinese member, with connections in China, very popular and the gateway through which their success can be cultivated, he was perfect

                    Siwon- took Chinese before, very popular among the girls, visual, manly, immersed with Chinese culture, he was the face of the group

                    Donghae- cute, good looking, talented dancer, he would be one of the easier boys to promote, and he was free, he also needed something to keep his mind off the passing away of his father *This incident may be explored in further chapters when I talk about the ups and downs of Super Junior*

                    Ryeowook- excellent voice, it was high time he expanded and stepped outside into the entertainment world, going to China would be good for him

                    Kyuhyun- fast learner, another great vocal, sure to be very popular among the Chinese fans

                    Then SM pulled the unexpected. They had two Chinese trainees in waiting. And the time was finally ripe for them to debut and show their characters. Right when SJM was announced, SM pulled the original members into a room and asked for their time.

                    “Guys, meet your fellow bandmates, Zhou Mi and Henry! Zhou Mi is from China and Henry is from Canada but is half Taiwanese, half Chinese. Let’s welcome them please!”

                    Ryeowook ran over to Henry and hugged him. “Hey! You were in Don’t Don! I knew SM had big plans for you! This fantastic!” At first the boys were shy but they slowly formed strong bonds and tight friendships.

                    When they first went to China, they were scared. The language barrier would be difficult to break, almost as tough as the Chinese market. But their hit songs, U and Me! Were both very addictive and became rapidly popular. They appeared on talk shows, and tried to use the Chinese they had learned to communicate.

                    Super Junior M rose to popularity and soon the four Korean members were the first Koreans to be put on Chinese stamps. The demand for SJM songs rose and SM smiled at their ingenuity. The subunit project was working and thriving.

                    SJM was invited back to perform at the 2008 Lunar New Year Show and fans everywhere looked forward to their comeback. 

 

I'm biased, but SJM is my favorite subunit. It is also the reason why I got into Super Junior/ Kpop. It will have three parts. One for every comeback. I look forward to another SJM comeback. -coughs, ahem, SM-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq0cu1_hoT0&feature=BFa&list=PL5AB52D13F0F41DFA&lf=plcp - U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQXgd9FUnEA&feature=BFa&list=PL5AB52D13F0F41DFA&lf=plcp- Me!