Dear Shin Donghee

As You Leave: A Tribute

Dear Shin Donghee,

                    I know I’m a bit late with this letter, but I’ve been thinking of what to say. As the years have gone by, I’ve grown up and slowly left my crazy fan girl side. I know it seems like I’ve moved on completely from Super Junior, but that is not true. I still remain, faithfully yours.

                    This March, we sent along two of our boys, and that hurts. You were the first one, and I admire that you didn’t need a ceremony. I know a lot of ELFs, and even the members themselves, say that they are used to this. But I am not. Each time I hear the news, I still feel a tiny blow to my heart. I am going to miss you.

                    I want to walk down memory lane a bit with you. I remember back when you were thought to be too fat, not ideal for the idol world, too sharp-tongued. And I admit you had your bad moments. There are a lot of comments that you have said that makes me cringe. Why are you so critical of others’ weight and why can’t you also just accept just like ELFs have? But I understand it is a part of the culture and I cannot fault you with that. However, disappointment does not diminish what you have brought to the team. You worked hard to lose weight and each time you gained any back, I felt like it was okay. You didn’t need to keep up an image. So what if everyone was flashing their abs? You are you, and that is what matters.

                    Your variety sense makes all the radio shows that you are on extremely interesting. You know what is humor that is acceptable, and when it is okay to back off. And all the awards and requests you receive is testimony to that. Thank you.

                    You are Super Junior’s hidden dance machine. You are a treasure chest of talent that nobody really knows about because sometimes in this cruel industry, talent is covered by looks. But those who watch you and know you, understand. You are a hyung. You know how to make your members comfortable; you know how to take in new rookies under your wing. You have the ability to sing and to dance, and your film making talent is showing. I am happy that you are able to find an opportunity to further show off what you can do.

                    We have a nation’s MC, but you are the idol’s MC. I want to thank you for all you’ve done. Show Champion would be nothing without you. ShimShimTaPa is you. Thank you.

                    Be well in the army, and know that ELFs will be here waiting!

                                                                                                                                    Much love,

                                                                                                                                    Jill, an ELF