Dear Lee Hyukjae

As You Leave: A Tribute

Dear Lee Hyukjae,

                   This is nearly two years too late. But you’re back. What felt like a lifetime when it first began is finally over. You’re back. Welcome back, my sweetheart, my first ultimate bias. I missed you. I didn’t realize how much I missed you until I saw you back.

                   In light of all that has happened, your coming back is the comfort, the hope to a gaping wound that has been left. You look fantastic. You have thrived in the army, and you made your way all the way up to high ranks, and I am so proud of you. Thank you for putting your all into the army services, just like you do in your career. The moment I saw the pictures of you smiling, of your gummy smile, I realized how much I have missed you.

                   Were you touched? You didn’t expect so many ELFs to show up, did you? Honestly, neither did the rest of the fandom. Bus after bus, all just for you ♥ Like you said, “it’s been years but these bastards’ popularity just hasn’t decreased.” You got that right. Super Junior will always be legends, will always be the ones that all the newbies look up to.

                   I wish Sungmin could have been there to greet you as well. I wish that instead of four people, there could be a fifth, and a sixth. It seems like every time our family is about to be reunited, something happens and things fall apart again. Kangin has made his mistakes but he is still Appa. Yes, he should have learned, but he deserves another chance. He doesn’t deserve to be shunted, to be pushed into this cold tunnel where we don’t know how he’s going.

                   Sungmin, least of all, deserves whatever he’s facing now. I know as a group, you have a lot of responsibility, but is it fair to push one of your brothers to the side? Just like you, Sungmin had put in his ten years for Super Junior. He was there for all the ups and all the downs, all the heartbreak, all the tears. Doesn’t he deserve his happiness now, doesn’t he deserve understanding?

                   I know you don’t have a lot of say over this, but I want you to know, that ELFs will always be behind all of you. And now that you’re back, run happily for another ten, fifteen years. But do not be afraid to take your own happiness in your hands. Regardless where you take your next step, I will always be here, supporting you.

                   I’m so happy that you’re back. In a few days it will be Donghae, and then Siwon, and then we just have to wait for our maknae line. Even though they just went in, just like how fast times has passed with the previous six members, their time will go quickly as well, and hopefully by then, as eleven, we can stand on stage together.

                   I love you, and I will always be an ELF.

Dear Sungmin,

                   Please stay strong. I know times right now are tough. But your wife is behind you, and contrary to what it seems, ELFs are behind you as well. We understand your decision, and we know that you are human, and have made some judgments based on emotions, and we do not blame you. We just want to see you happy.

                   I think it is a shame that you opted to not participate in this album, because I was hoping for you to take over some lines, since two thirds of our official vocal line is currently in the army. But I guess I won’t be lucky enough to see that.

                   When I saw that you had withdrawn, I cried. I was angry, and sad and just so disappointed in the people in this “fandom” that had caused this type of pain. I apologize on behalf of them that you had to come to this bitter decision. Please know that regardless what happens next, you are always a Super Junior member.

Dear Kangin,

                   I know you regret your choices, and I want to tell you that I don’t blame you. Everyone makes mistakes, and it’s unfair that as an idol, you are placed on a pedestal. But, I want you to know that regardless, you are always a part of the thirteen, a part of the fifteen.

                   Please make a comeback soon, and stand on stage once more with us. We have waited a really, really long time.

 

                   To Super Junior, please continue to fly. The Sapphire Blue ocean will always be here. And we will continue to be here until the entire world is covered in our color. That was a promise, and we will keep it until the very end.