Losing Three Stars

As You Leave: A Tribute

 

 

Losing Three Stars

                    This is known as the darkest period in Super Junior’s time as well as for ELFs. This was when consecutively, we lost three members. Right after “Super Girl” promotions, word spread that Hangeng was going to leave. He was planning on suing the company for their slave contract and if needed, he would leave. The news was heartbreaking.

                    The members held a conference. They knew how much harder Hankyung had to work in their industry. They knew that it was only in China that he once more became Hangeng, and was able to have the love that he deserved. They knew full well certain prejudices, but surely, if that didn’t extend to the group, then everything would be okay?

                    They would miss him. But, Leeteuk spoke the words that were on all their minds. “We’ll support him regardless. Even if he is his own solo artist, we will always be a part of his career and there is no language barrier between brotherhood. He will always be our Hangeng.” And when he spoke his name in Chinese, Ryeowook burst into tears.

                    All the younger members took it harshly. This was their hyung; someone whom they often looked up to for guidance. When SJM was in China, they had all relied heavily on him to bring them together, to work past the barrier. Siwon bowed his head and prayed. Hangeng’s leave was shrouded in anger, in confusion, and hurt.

                    Heechul hid himself in his room. He took it the hardest out of everyone. Hangeng is his best friend. He had helped the Chinese member fit in, Hanchul was a ship. And now, his best friend was leaving him, and this time it was for good. Once he left, Heechul knew, Hangeng could never turn back.

                    The law suit went on and brought on much displeasure from the other members as they, too, had misgivings over the company. But Hangeng went on Chinese shows, and exposed the company’s thirteen years contract, exposed his illnesses and the lack of care. It was a step forward for human rights, but a loss to all of us. A year later, he would officially win the lawsuit and leave SM forever.

                    But even to this day, Super Junior counts him as a missing star.

                    Kibum had a desire to act. He’s always been an actor, always had a passion for acting. His days with Super Junior and the twelve other boys had been fun, a step for him in the entertainment world. He treasured his fans but after Sorry Sorry, he decided it was time for him to go.

                    He made the decision heavily. The members swallowed, realizing that their number was diminishing but they smiled and cheered him on anyway. For a while, Kibum disappeared and ELFs wondered. Where was he?

                    But then pictures popped up of him and Heechul and other members. Some fans were disappointed, saying Kibum is useless, that he gave up or that he used Super Junior. Other fans remain by his side. Even now, Super Junior will always see him as one of their own. For his drama, I Love Italy, Eunhyuk, Ryeowook and Shindong made a video supporting him.

                    And there was reciprocation as well. Fans have accounts that Kibum went to Super Shows. The love is mutual.

                    Scandal after scandal rocked the group. Kangin made headlines with his fights and Leeteuk steeled himself. He knew that if this continued, the group may fade. The success of Sorry Sorry was starting to taste bittersweet and he wondered if it was worth it anymore.

                    “Youngwoon, you need to stop. The entire group is depending on you. Don’t mess it up for everyone.” This was when he was at his most tired.

                    Kangin had hung his head, ashamed of himself. He knew that he had done wrong and that the others would have to pay for his actions. A few weeks later, Kangin enlisted himself in the army.

                    The news came as a shock, it also brought reality closer. Soon the other members would be going into the army. But right now, what mattered, was Kangin was leaving. There was a tearful goodbye.

                    “ELFs, I promise to be back a new person. I have done wrong this past few months. The army will return me a man. I promise. And like you, I will keep my promise.” And with that, he turned to leave.

                    In the Super Junior theme song, “Superman,” a line said, “Count them, one, two, three, with the stars we’ve lost, we are thirteen stars.”

                    And that is true. Super Junior is thirteen stars, with two shining right next to them. 

 

♥ ELFs have gone through so much 

We're about to lose Yesung for two years, so let's all stay strong. Together.