SJT

As You Leave: A Tribute

 

                                                                                                           Super Junior T

Rokkugo, rokkugo, mahaema!

Rokkugo, rokkugo, mahaema!

                    The moment the song started, everyone’s heads would bop to the beat, immediately recognizing Super Junior T’s hit. It was February 2007. SM Entertainment once more approached the large boy band, Super Junior, with another proposal. “Boys, we would like to expand into another category of music. This time it will be Korea’s old fashioned trot music.”

                    Eunhyuk smirked. “Oh, then Leeteuk-hyung should definitely join. He probably is well verse in trot music.” The manager smiled, happy to see everyone getting along.

                    “The members will be Leeteuk, Heechul, Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin and Eunhyuk.”

                    Donghae laughed. “All the old ones! Except Yesung- hyung and Hangeng-hyung. But they have legit excuses.”

                    “We need the older people for their appeal, but the cute young ones to capture the hearts of the ahjummas as well,” the manager explained to the delight of the other members. They looked at each excitedly. After the success of KRY, they were privileged that SM found them worthy enough to experiment with.

                    Heechul walked up front and started to sing a garbled version of H.O.T.’s Candy. “We’re going to bring this back. Super Junior T! Super Junior Trot! Super Junior 1-2-3!” He shouted nonsensically.

                    Everyone laughed at his enthusiasm. Eunhyuk, on the other hand, bit his lips and approached Yesung. “Hyung, is it hard? Being a different part of Super Junior? Does it make you feel like you’re detached from the group?”

                    The four dimensional one looked at the bashful child next to him. He knew that Eunhyuk, of all the others, had the biggest fear that one day they would disband and everything would be reverted back to the old days. It wasn’t for the fame; it was that he was scared of losing bonds, losing friends.

                    In a rare gesture of brotherhood, he slung an arm around the younger man. “No, absolutely not. If anything, it makes you prouder and happier to be a part of Super Junior. You know you would be spreading the name of our group around. Think of it as promotion as well as the bonding of the group. You get to know your members better too.”

                    Eunhyuk nodded, slowly mulling over his hyung’s wise words. He felt a confidence spread through him. He would be able to do it. If the two youngest members of their group could set out and forge a path with each other, he could do it with the others.

                    Starting the very next day, Leeteuk led the younger members into his room. “We have to expose you guys to trot. I know a lot of you know what it is, but you need to be skilled like me and be able to sing on demand.”

                    Shindong snorted. “I saw some of our parts. Eunhyuk and I really just have to rap. And that we’re good at. So there’s no need to worry. If anything, I cannot picture Sungmin singing trot. His vocals are too sweet for it. Trot is deep and soulful!”

                    Sungmin pouted. “Hey! That’s not fair. I can be deep and soulful if I liked.” He placed a hand over his heart and proceeded to belt out a few lines of a random trot song he thought of. Leeteuk bopped him over the head.

                    “Come on guys. We should get started.”

                    The six members studied their lines and experimented with the style, learning how to sing properly. They asked their elders for tips and it wasn’t long before the first single was all set to go. Ten minutes before their first stage, Heechul nearly had a panic attack.

                    “This is like having our debut all over again. I don’t know how I’m going to survive it.” He whispered, and waited to hear for their announcement.

                    “You’ll do fine. Trust me. Remember it’s ELFs out there. They will always accept us no matter what happens,” Shindong whispered before pulling a silly face to cheer up the green-faced hyung.

                    “Super Junior Trot! With their new single, Rokkugo.” The announcer boomed over the loudspeakers. Yesung gave them a thumbs up and the six boys ran up on stage.

                    Dancing with all their heart, and belting out their lines, they felt the lively energy of the song overtake them. Eunhyuk made sure that his rap went perfectly and Heechul gave the song his all. Everyone in the audience, from the small kids to the appreciating ahjummas, clapped to the beat.

                    When the song ended, they waited a split second before hearing thunderous applause. They held hands and bowed. This song later became the epitome of Super Junior Trot, and was translated into Japanese, causing a great hit.

                    Other songs released by this subgroup included There’s No One Like Me, and ChutCha! As Kangin left for the army, they incorporated Donghae into the subgroup. For their Super Show 3, Super Junior Trot released a new single Tok Tok Tok. This new song created an uproar and was well received.

                    The now mature Super Junior members were excited for their new performance. This summer, SJT has recorded a new song and it was meant to be fun. The lights dimmed and the spotlights came on. The six members appeared on stage in brightly colored suits and funny bowties. The catchy trot music came on overhead and Eunhyuk began his lines.

                    The crowd roared its approval at all the moments between Eunhae as well as the ever present Sungmin. They laughed when Sungmin went to his leader and plucked at the bowtie, causing him to squeal into the microphone. This song showcased the vocals of all its members and came with a beat that made the audience sway on their feet.

                    Heechul knocked out all his lines and Leeteuk took advantage of this opportunity to sing. When the song ended, the crowd applauded and they grinned from ear to ear. Even with a long hiatus, it is clear that no matter what happens, Super Junior is always welcome in the hearts of ELFs. 

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2CNJiAq_cY Rokkugo~

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0BrOP12ops&feature=fvwrel Tok Tok Tok~

SMTown NYC was amazing. I'm proud to be an ELF.