Debut and the Maknae

As You Leave: A Tribute

 

Debut and the Maknae

 

                   November 6, 2005. Twelve shining stars made their first performance. It was the moment they have trained so hard for. The moment everyone anticipated. When they came on to perform Twins (Knock Out), the entire nation was bowing down at their feet. The high energy, the huge effort, all melted hearts. With the funky hair, the remix of a popular song, they were set to take Korea by storm.

                   On stage, they appeared as suave, cool boys who can dance and move. However, in the back of the stage, another story went on…

                   “It’s finally time. Our turn to start a new moment, to become great. Even though we’re only going to be together for three months, I’m going to miss bossing these eleven people around. We’ve gone through hardships together, trained together, and are now making our entertainment debuts together. I hope everyone will- Eunhyuk! Donghae! Aish, stop running around! You’re going to sweat your makeup off! I hope everyone- ya, Kim Heechul! Stop preening in front of the camera. I have a speech to say! I hope everyone will be able to- GUYS! We’re on in three minutes! Sober up! Stop being such hyenas. It’s the moment of our lives and you’re all getting hyper on me. Why? I hope everyone will be abletoalwayssupportus,” Leeteuk finished in a flourish, mashing his words together to keep from being interrupted once more.

                   Heechul rolled his eyes from the corner and his beautifully styled hair. “How do I perform properly without ruining the hair? The sweat will make it fall down,” he complained.

                   Kibum walked up to him and slipped an arm around his shoulder. “Hyung, don’t think about that. In two minutes, we’re going to be walking on that stage. We’re going to be known as Super Junior ’05. The whole country will be singing our songs. We will rock this house!”

                   Siwon stood in the corner, fervently praying and mumbling under his breath. Yesung walked over to him and casually poked him. “Ya, stop that. He will always be watching over us. When we get on that stage. Don’t worry yourself too much. Just remember your lines and the dance.”

                   Ryeowook paced back and forth nervously. Being relatively young, he had yet to form a close bond with the others. He stayed off to the side and kept his distance. He wanted to speak encouraging words but terror held his tongue.

                   Shindong and Kangin were two imposing boulders, standing in the doors, waiting for their group to be called. Sungmin stood to the side with Hangeng, a foreigner. He had a look of unease as the rest chattered in rapid Korean. Ryeowook went up to him and placed a hand on his arm. Hangeng looked up, startled. Hoping to make him feel better, Ryeowook smiled in assurance.

                   “The newest band from SM Entertainment! Super Junior ’05!” The announcement echoed throughout their minds. A shiver went down Leeteuk’s spine and he clapped for attention.

                   “We go out there and show them what we’ve got! Hwaiting!” The rest of the boys roared their approval and they ran out onto the stage.

                   The lights were dim and Donghae swore he could hear his own heartbeat, pounding in time to the music. Eunhyuk poked him teasingly and gave him a thumbs up. As the lights clicked on, their minds snapped to attention and the natural movement overtook them.

                   “Reason is I’m alive!”

                   The music boomed, and the fireworks shot up, concluding their performance. The exhilaration of what had just happened coursed in their veins. The sweat poured off their foreheads and they gave each other wet, damp, penny smelling hugs.

                   “We did it! It’s over! We’re official,” Kangin crowed. He tilted his head back and laughed with the left over adrenaline. Everyone had tears in their eyes as they hugged one another, dancing and hopping around in their excitement.

                   Donghae curled in a corner and sobbed his eyes out. “Appa, I did it. Please, just get better, appa. I’ll work harder for you.” Upon hearing these whispers, Leeteuk walked over to the hurting member.

                   “Donghae-shi, I promised your appa that I will take care of you. He’s going to nurse himself back to health so he can come and watch his shining star perform arrasso?” he nodded against the leader’s shoulders and Leeteuk led him back into the midst of celebration.

                   A few months later, Super Junior ’05 would not fade, as SM had predicted. Their fire still burned, glowing brightly. The days hadn’t been easy on them. They slaved away, promoting, pleasing, trying to gain a name for themselves in such a highly competitive industry. Sweat, blood and tears dotted their map to success. At long last, SM announced a second promotional single, Miracle. This time, the song would be happy, classic Kpop with its upbeat rhythm and smiling boys.

                   They worked hard once again, putting in their all to become even more successful this time. However, there was one minor accident… During their performance, Ryeowook’s shoe fell off. The others noticed but wisely didn’t react. Ryeowook swallowed and bravely continued singing his next part. When he was done, he fumbled around the moving feet to grab his shoe and ran to the back of the group. He hurriedly put his shoe back on, all the while fighting back tears.

                   When the performance ended, he ran into the dressing room and locked himself in the bathroom. Sobbing, he prayed that Lee Soo Man would wait at least until morning to tell him that he was out of the group, out of the industry. A knock came from outside. He tried to muffle his tears and called out shakily, “Y-yeah?”

                   “Ya, Wookie. Why are you crying?” It was Hangeng, his accent softening his words.

                   “I’m not, hyung. I’m just washing up. All that sweat,” he responded.

                   Another snort and then a loud bang. “Cut the bull, Wookie. What happened to you?” It was Heechul. Underneath the loud brassy voice was concern.

                   Ryeowook slowly opened the doors and peered out. Immediately, his tear streaked face and red eyes came into view. Leeteuk pushed is way into the bathroom and held the younger member against him. “Aish, what happened?”

                   Everyone started gathering. “Hyung, I’m never going to see you again. I lost my shoe on stage. Mr. Lee will kick me out. There’s no doubt about that. I’m over.”

                   Sungmin soothed his younger brother. “Shh, shh. It’s going to be fine. Look, there he is! He doesn’t look upset.”

                   Ryeowook let out a yelp and hid behind Yesung. The head of their company came into the room with a happy smiling countenance. “Congratulations you guys! You did great out there. I have good news, but I want to count heads. Two, four, six, eight, ten, eleven. Where’s Ryeowook?”

                   Yesung nudged him to the front and Ryeowook burst into tears. Soo Man took a step back. “What happened?”

                   “He’s scared he’s out of the industry because he lost his shoe on stage,” Eunhyuk offered.

                   Soo Man laughed. “Never. You boys are going to be stars. In fact, my news is this, we’re adding a new member. You’re going to be thirteen. Thirteen stars who will dominate the industry. Congratulations… SUPER JUNIOR!”        

                   A few days later, they introduced the new member Kyuhyun. The other members reacted irrationally. They knew they should embrace the new child, but something kept them from warming to him. Leeteuk stayed away and examined him carefully, as if sizing him up to see if he was worth being in the group.

                   Kyuhyun worked hard. He was quiet, the mature maknae. Nobody could know whether he was just stuck up or naturally aloof. He worked hard, and had a gorgeous voice. But when the fans found out, they created an uproar.

                   “We only want the original members! Why must we add another person? We like Super Junior just twelve!” The articles ran day after day. Ryeowook wanted to reach out to him, but he never spoke about his pain.

                   “Make ramen, Kyuhyun. Hyung is hungry,” Leeteuk ordered. The maknae nodded and went to the kitchen. His hands shook and he realized he’s never done this before. He poured in half a kettle of water, praying that would be enough. When the noodles were cooked, his heart sank. The noodles floated limply in a Han River of noodles.

                   “Ya! What the hell is this?” Leeteuk threw his chopsticks across the table. The other members cowered and waited quietly for what was to come. He stood up and banged his room shut. A silence ensued and everybody avoided Kyuhyun’s eye. Donghae wanted to punch himself for being so hopeless. He wanted to hug the little baby and tell him everything would be fine. Leeteuk-hyung is just stressed. But instead as they filed out, the most he could do was reach out to touch the maknae’s back gently, feeling the tremors as he fought back tears.

                   One day, the day before Kyuhyun’s debut, he came in drunk. His steps were heavy and his speech, slurred. Ryeowook was up, and pacing outside the chair, waiting for him. When he came in and he saw the condition his dongsaeng was in, Ryeowook’s heart sank. He knew the days has been harsh on Kyuhyun. But to see him fall apart like this was painful.

                   “Hy-hyung, Leeteuk-hyung will never like me. I’ll never be accepted. I’ll be booed off the stage tomorrow. I can’t do this. I don’t know why I didn’t’ stick to being a lawyer. It would have been easier. Ryeowook-hyung, why does nobody like me? Am I that unlovable? Did I do something to offend you guys?” he put his arms around the older man’s neck and cried.

                   His lithe body heaved and he moaned deeply into his neck. Body racking spasms shook him as the grief and despair overtook the nineteen year old. Ryeowook rubbed his back slowly, and waited for him to calm down. “Kyuhyun-shi, I hope you understand. We all worked so hard. Especially Leeteuk-hyung. He debuted later than us, age wise. It’s understandable. He feels like it’s unfair that you didn’t train as long as he did. Yes, it’s irrational, but it’s human. I promise tomorrow will be okay. And hyung is sorry for not helping you. I understand how you feel too.”

Kyuhyun nodded slowly and in the dark, the two felt their heavier feelings slowly evaporate.

                   The time came for Kyuhyun’s debut. Super Junior went on stage and preformed U. Kyuhyun went on stage and sang his heart out, belting out the few lines he had and dancing his hardest. At the end, when the performance was over, he felt a lightheaded giddiness. He has done it. He has fulfilled his dream.

                   Later on, they went on to win the Mutizen Award. All the members cried as they realized that all they had worked so hard for has come into fruition. They were on their ways to being stars now. Afterwards, in the dressing room all twelve members jumped on top of each other and hugged, crying freely. Kyuhyun sniffled slightly and shuffled awkwardly.

                   A hand clamped on his shoulder.  Leeteuk pulled him in for a hug. “You did well, Kyuhyun. I’m sorry for all I did. But you have made us proud. ELFs love you. This success is yours as well. I, I love you, Kyuhyun-shi.” It was only then that Kyuhyun allowed his tears to fall. All thirteen boys crowded together for a hug. This is the start of Super Junior, the Kings of Asia. 

 

We PROM15E TO BEL13VE

Always. Got tickets to SMTown NYC, hoping to go~

What can I say? I think it's amazing how much can change. Leeteukie shows love, Kyuhyun is loved. 

I've been having issues with Hyukjae lately. But that's because I feel like baby's changing, growing up. Please continue to be my Monkey and I love you ♥

 

 

So a bunch of you wanted to know who the face behind all these stories is. And so here it is. XD I'm doing it for all my stories, so you'll be seeing my face for a while if you're subscribed to a bunch of my stories. 

 

 

ws6j.jpg

NOT A PRETTY CHILD. I APOLOGIZES. 

 

Name: Jill

Age: 16

Ethnicity: Taiwanese but I live in the US

Favorite Boy Group: Super Junior 

               Biases: Hyukjae, Kyuhyun, Donghae, Ryeowook, Sungmin

Favorite Girl Group: Girl's Generation

               Biases: Yoona, Hyoyeon, Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sooyoung

Ultimate Bias: Hyukjae ♥

Husbands: Hyukjae, Onew, Kyuhyun

Follow me on Twitter?  Sure, just tell me who you are/username and what story you subscribed to, iheartzsj ♥ and I love you guys~ 

I'll be updating as much as I can. Junior year can be a killer. 

 

A bunch of links:

Debut performance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKA5x7UIOg0

Miracle - http://www.youtube.com/user/SMTOWN?blend=1&ob=5#p/c/5AB52D13F0F41DFA/46/lVbsfG729l0

Twins - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrazFGFRnhM

Ryeowook losing his shoe - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRw4-00WCKE

Kyuhyun's debut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN4Yo7SQS6M