★ 043. YeWook — Only One

❝ℕeorago❞ — A Super Junior Oneshot/Twoshot Collection

It's raining.

 

Ryeowook loved the rain. Something about the soft tapping outside and the creeping cold making its way into the confines of his room makes him enjoy the gloomy weather. He grew to love it more when he was around, arms hugging his waist while watching nature's show. Blankets on their shoulders, his head on his shoulder, hands twined and fit perfectly like a puzzle.

 

Ryeowook continued to love the rain, until that day.

 

If there's anything in relationships that should be thought last, it would be break-ups. Break-ups are an inevitable part of relationships unless you project to grow old together. Ryeowook never thought of it; heck, it was the last thing he would think of. Plans were laid out, timelines were in sync, but they were right: always expect the unexpected.

 

On that fateful day, the rain was a witness to Ryeowook's heartbreak.

 

Sometimes, he thinks about how people could hate what they once loved. How they could thrive with its permanence, how they find ways to get rid of it because it was too painful to notice its mere existence.

 

Ryeowook understood it all after it rained that night.

 

Once loved, and now, hated. One could probably say it's a love-hate relationship, but for Ryeowook, he never looked at the rain the same way again.

 


 

It's been years since that night. Ryeowook has learned to be civil with the rain, reminding himself that the rain will be his companion throughout his existence — whether he likes it or not. Sometimes he enjoys its company, oftentimes he resents the memories that came along with it.

 

But the rain became frequent — thanks to the southwest monsoon — and Ryeowook would struggle to leave the bed. Particularly this morning, when he slowly sat up and wrap the thick blanket around his body. Watching as the rain creates its own symphony for Ryeowook to hear. While most of the time he never welcomed the rain's presence, rare moments like this made Ryeowook appreciate its beauty again. It's comforting, the warmth settling in his heart as the dark clouds float by outside of his window.

 

And with a blink of an eye, memories start to flashback in front of him. Physical touches and sensations accompanied in those memories were still palpable, and Ryeowook could feel himself breaking again.

 

It's been years.

 

And yet the rain made him remember him again.

 


 

If Heechul is really a good friend, he would've not forced Ryeowook to attend their college reunion. Ryeowook reluctantly agreed but retreated at the back of the venue with a plastic cup that he doesn't bother to know what's inside. Attendees start to fill the place, familiar faces and some who Ryeowook doesn't remember.

 

Maybe finally joining his old crowd wasn't bad. Ryeowook once enjoyed their presence, and there's no way he's going to be here. The younger knows that the man is a busy fellow; he won't be bothered in attending something that's not worth his time.

 

But, of course, expect the unexpected.

 

At the corner of Ryeowook's eye, he catches the glimpse of a familiar figure entering the ballroom. Despite the number of people swarming the place, Ryeowook knew who was the new arrival. He never forgets who his ex-boyfriend is — from his fashion style to the way he styles his hair. For a moment, the younger stands there, eyes scanning the figure of his once-beau. He never changed, looked like he never aged a bit. There's something around him that makes him glowing, exuding a different aura.

 

Ryeowook continues to stare at him, silently praying that he doesn't get caught. Emotions fill his heart, unable to pinpoint what he exactly feels at that moment. Resentment? Anger? Awkwardness?

 

And it doesn't matter. It's been years since he's breathing the same air as him.

 

The most common thing to do to avoid an ex is to rat out and never look back. Maybe tell Heechul along the way that he has some important matters to attend to. But his feet are stuck on the ground, eyes helplessly look at the tall figure conversing with some people that Ryeowook never met. He has a knack for letting conversations flow freely, unlike Ryeowook who would rather pass socialization.

 

He drinks whatever liquid's in the cup he's holding, sighing as he finishes it all. The music has quieted down, and the program was just about to start. It was just like any other formal gathering that Ryeowook (forcibly, or reluctantly) attended: starts it off with a greeting, thanks to everyone for accepting the invitation, acknowledging the people who made the reunion possible and let the guests continue with whatever they were doing a while ago. Repetitive, boring, and not his thing.

 

A few minutes after the formal commencement of the program, Ryeowook's a hundred percent sure that he would leave. Apologize to Heechul for ratting out early that night. Not wanting to be in the same place as him. He was ready to leave when a familiar scent fills his nostrils, his mind instantly regretting extracting that intimate information. Damn it, Ryeowook curses as he slowly turns around.

 

He's in front of him.

 

"Didn't know you're into gatherings now, Ryeowook."

 

Oh right, Ryeowook thinks as faces the new arrival, smiling a little, he doesn't call me Ryeonggu now.

 

"Looking dapper as always, Jongwoon hyung."

 

Something flash in front of the elder's eyes, and Ryeowook sworn he saw him change his expression. But Jongwoon chuckles, putting his hands in his pockets. Typical Kim Jongwoon.

 

There was a (comfortable?) silence after the younger's remark. Music filled the void between them, with the yellow lights illuminating the space. People don't notice their presence, although there were occasional nods and exchanges. Ryeowook still doesn't know why his legs haven't moved from his current position. Somehow, his body still magnetically sticks to Jongwoon.

 

"Can we talk?" It took almost 3 minutes (Ryeowook has been counting) for Jongwoon to restart the conversation. Over the slowly increasing boom of the music, Ryeowook could hear him clearly. It was driving him insane that after the break-up, it only took this reunion for the walls that he had built to be toppled down again — by the same person who broke his heart.

 

And while the younger had the chance to run, he decided to give his heart a chance.

 

Maybe, just maybe, this is the closure that he's been asking for.

 


 

Jongwoon led him outside of the hotel by the swimming pool. There were still hotel guests enjoying night swimming and a few others who were still seated by the canopies. They sit in those free poolside loungers away from a group of guests, intending for the conversation to be as private as possible.

 

When was the last time Ryeowook was this close to him? All he remembers is that Jongwoon wanted him to back off — and he did — but here he is, in front of him. His features didn't change, still, the same old eyes that Ryeowook swears he could melt then and there. The lips that give him enough courage to seal it with his own. Hands that were once his stronghold, his anchor when life gets a little rough. But he did mature, and Ryeowook acknowledged how his ex-boyfriend has physically changed.

 

"What do you want to talk about?" Ryeowook is surprised that he finds his voice, despite drowning in his pool of thoughts.

 

He watches Jongwoon sigh, clasping his hands as he placed his elbows on his knees. "I'm sorry for what happened to us."

 

Ryeowook has long accepted the fact that he will never have Jongwoon back in his life. Ever since he broke it off, Ryeowook knew that their time is over. Whatever Jongwoon says, he truly means it — and letting go of a once-perfect, once-dreamy, once-thought-of relationship is one of them. The younger would lie if he sees this coming. He knew how the break-up has both affected them, most especially to Ryeowook. Over time, he learned to accept that he won't have any decent closure from Jongwoon.

 

But he never imagined that the closure he badly needed before — but not anymore — would be today. Out of all days.

 

So he takes a deep breath, slowly composing his thoughts and words. Emotions soaring, heart beating too fast that he thinks he's going to faint. "Why now?"

 

It's not supposed to be the first question, but it's proper that it should be the first one. After all those years of emotional torture, of wondering where it went wrong, of Ryeowook putting all the blame on himself. He's not blind; he also knows he's at fault. Time was kind enough to let him heal, to understand where he went wrong, to become a better person. But whatever happened between him and Jongwoon paralyzed him to the core.

 

While the last thing he wants is closure, Ryeowook realized that he's not functioning well without it.

 

Ryeowook watches the older shift on his seat. Fingers fidgeting, breaths slowed, audible sighs. "I realized that... my pride has taken too much of me," Jongwoon starts, sighs deeply as he closes his eyes, "And I thought that ending it that way... would be easier. Would make it easier for us to let things go."

 

The relationship persisted until they were fresh off of graduation and starting on their lives as young, working adults. Pressure from their jobs and the change in their dynamics were unavoidable, but Ryeowook understood it all. Over time, their works became more in demand, date nights lessened, and overtime was a staple in their schedules.

 

Ryeowook thought he and Jongwoon could pull through. Be like those other couples who managed to keep the relationship alive and get married once they're settled. The relationship was nearing its expiration date, signs of their doom imminent from afar. The younger tried to fight for it, for them, for the love he thinks they both deserved.

 

The relationship ended in a snap, on a rainy night. Ryeowook in shatters, Jongwoon thinking it was the right thing to do. After all, "I don't feel anything now, Ryeowook-ah."

 

It was the first time the younger heard his name rolling off Jongwoon's lips. And Ryeowook knew there was nothing he could do to undo it.

 

The worst part is the lightning and thunder crashing, signaling that the break-up was bound to happen, anyway.

 

"You know I would've understood it, hyung," Ryeowook slowly says, eyes trained on the ground. He watches as his shoes shuffle close together, "I fought for our relationship because I didn't see it coming. If you told me your side, then I would've considered it."

 

"But that's the point, Ryeowook," Jongwoon's voice is strained, trying his best not to raise his voice and not to remind the younger of that night. When the words tumbled out of his mouth, Jongwoon didn't know how much it would hurt the other party. How it carried like a third-degree burn, taking painstakingly long to heal. "You're amazingly stubborn. I know you would try your best to keep it alive. But just like what I've said before, I don't, and couldn't, feel anything that time."

 

Stubbornness is something Ryeowook is good with. It may be for the good or the bad, but the younger knew it's one of the traits that he won't let go of. Something that equates to his pride, to his persisting nature, to his ego. He really loved Jongwoon to the core, and would really fight for it. But somehow, his stubbornness blinded him — thinking it was still repairable. Thinking that the relationship is in a hurdle, just like their previous ones.

 

Like the rain. The storm. It would be over soon, right?

 

"I'm sorry," Jongwoon exhales a shaky breath, "I'm sorry I should've been gentler. Should've considered your side. Should've explained where we went wrong."

 

It took Ryeowook a while to comprehend the break-up. Figured it all on his own. Understanding the last few days of their doomed love story. Months into the process of healing came in enlightenment, of a certain period of self-forgiveness, of liking and hating the rain. Healing was never easy, time made it look like the event was a bad dream. Gradually, his personality came back to normal, albeit mellowed down and lessened the stubbornness. Never became interested in dating, straightforwardly turning down admirers.

 

Still a long way to go.

 

"I'm sorry too," the younger mumbles, pressing his lips in a thin line. "I'm sorry for being blind, for pushing through with my stubbornness. I can't say that I deserved those harsh words, but it did help me realize what and who I was back then."

 

Despite the deep cut that Jongwoon left him in the past, Ryeowook still appreciates him in the present. He learned everything the hard way, even though it's still hard for him to open up to other people. All he wanted was to make peace with the past, to finally break free from the shackles that bounded him after all those years.

 

Silence occupied them for the next few minutes. No one bothered to carry on the conversation. The only sounds that filled the area were the flutter kicks and the occasional gust of winds sweeping them. Ryeowook continues to stare at one spot on the ground, doing his best to ignore the unsettling feeling of staying in the same place as him. It was painfully awkward, to say at least.

 

Should I ask him about his day? How's he's doing? Thoughts rummage in the younger's head, with every blink a new question would pop into his mind. He wouldn't say that they clearly patched things up with a small amount of exchange, and Ryeowook knows that it's Jongwoon who initiated this talk. Might as well keep this going, use his stubbornness for once.

 

So he asked him about his life nowadays. How he's doing. Checking on his endeavors and happenings currently. Ryeowook is pretty impressed with how Jongwoon had turned out over the last couple of years. The sparks in his eyes when he explains a certain business proposal, or when he talks about his adventures overseas. It almost felt like catching up with a friend, knowing that he's doing well in Ryeowook's absence.

 

The conversation shifted to Ryeowook naturally. Same old, although he managed to resign from his first job after the break-up and work to where he is now. The younger mentions his friends in passing, amplifying familiar names to Jongwoon's ears. Heechul, Kyuhyun, Henry. There's a certain kind of ease that settles in Ryeowook's heart as he talks about what keeps him occupied.

 

For once, Ryeowook embraced it. The feeling would come in bursts, but it's the first time that it appeared while talking to his ex-boyfriend. A sign telling him that he'll be fine.

 

Out of nowhere, raindrops fell from the night sky. The guests are long gone and the two of them were left. They break into a run back at the hotel, just before it starts to pour heavily. They stand by the glass wall, watching as the rain occupies the pavement and create ripples on the swimming pool. Ryeowook was taken back to that fateful night, but this time, there was no more agony or pain squeezing his heart.

 

"Thank you," Jongwoon speaks up, still staring at the outside world.

 

"For what?" Ryeowook asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

Jongwoon looks at him, "For listening to me. For accepting my apology."

 

They meet their eyes, and Ryeowook could see the sincerity in the elder's eyes. Gone are the stares that give Ryeowook the butterflies, only friendly ones that the younger had to get used to. But why would he get used to it anyway? He's sure that once he walks away from this place, he'll be able to forget the entirety of Jongwoon's existence. Of their relationship.

 

A phone rings to break their silence. It was Jongwoon's, and at the corner of Ryeowook's eye, he could see the older smiling. Eyes forming into crescents as he quickly taps in his reply. Ryeowook sighs, continues to watch the rain as he contemplates whether he leaves now or stay a little longer.

 

But he knows that he couldn't stay longer, besides having a hard time going home.

 

So he makes up his mind and cranes his head to Jongwoon, who was now pocketing his phone. "I better go now."

 

There it is again, the microexpression that Ryeowook has seen a while back. But he shrugs it off, opting to forget the little things if he wants to completely move on from Jongwoon. He finally got the closure that he wanted, and the best thing that could happen between them is being civil with each other. And probably not cross each other's paths again.

 

The older of the two stretches out his arm, "Nice meeting you again, Ryeowook-ssi."

 

The rain pours more, but Ryeowook didn't mind. For now, he silently thanks the rain for being a witness to his relationship, even though he still hates the weather system. He shakes Jongwoon's hand, returns the smile, "See you around, Jongwoon-ssi." He lets go and turns around, walking away from the man. Away from the pain. Away from the past.

 


 

The drive home is quiet, and Ryeowook basks in its stillness. He felt lighter, finally getting the dreaded closure that he had been begging for the last couple of years. That night, he welcomed the rain back and the accompanying healing it brings. It would take him a while to fully recover (even though he repeatedly tells himself that he's fine), but he understands that he is a huge part of his life.

 

He lets himself feel the aching pain that crept its way back to the present, the same pain that he felt on that fateful night. And tomorrow will come and everything will be back to normal. He'll learn to love the rain again, and he'll learn to appreciate what he lost interest in again. He may have lost his only one, but he won't let himself be lost again.

 


Author's Note: Hi! I'm back to rewriting some of my one-shots in this collection. This story is entirely reedited because 1) I didn't like how I wrote it and 2) I wanted it to be as close to reality as possible. This is still a YeMinWook fic, but you have to squint hard enough to find where I placed Sungmin xD Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed it, and click here to listen to the song that inspired this fic.

(cross-posted on LiveJournal, un-beta-ed)