Hunger for. . .

Dis·Interested

 

 

 

The week before the dance was strange. Everyone went about their day like the usual but Chanyeol found himself going through the motions, disattached from the tasks. He hardly remembers what he’s done this week and all he remembers are the parts when he had to walk to work alone because Baekhyun either had things to finish at school or would take his family car home. It never really occurred to Chanyeol how he simply adjusted to Baekhyun’s sudden kisses and clingy ways but now that the smaller male suddenly stopped, Chanyeol was having a bit of difficulty adjusting back to when he didn’t have to deal with the sudden attacks.

 

It’s odd when Thursday rolls around. It was the day Chanyeol loses his footing. Just a tab. He strolls down the hallway towards the eastern side of the campus when he overhears the whispers of a few girls that he passes. “I hear Baekhyun is going with Kris to the dance.” That’s about all Chanyeol hears. He keeps walking though and fails to notice how his eyebrows furrow a little at the sudden news. The rest of the day breezes by. Work . Friday flew by as well and before Chanyeol knew it, he hasn’t seen even a glance of Baekhyun the past week and the way he frowns that Saturday night doesn’t go unnoticed by everyone but himself.

 

Kris, Chanyeol will admit is very handsome. His face screams “come at me and I’ll cut you.” but his personality yells “Brother complex.” Because Kris indeed had a brother complex. The man slightly taller than Chanyeol tended to his brother the whole night. It slightly annoyed Chanyeol but he doesn’t know why. Maybe it was the fact that Kris was taller than him. His hair wasn’t a ball of fuzz on top of his head like Chanyeol’s, maybe it was because he looked better in a suit than Chanyeol and his voice was deeper than Chanyeol’s. It was becoming trouble. Chanyeol was starting to hate Kris. It was probably only a matter of time before Kris steals second place in the Student rankings.

 

“Are you okay?” Chanyeol is suddenly snapped out his train of thoughts by Taeyeon’s voice. He completely forgot he came to the dance with her. What was worse,he hasn’t visited the meat table yet. He wants to but at the same time, he didn’t have the appetite at the moment. Chanyeol clears his throat and nods in answer to her question. “We can leave, you know. If you don’t feel well.” Taeyeon suggests and Chanyeol misses her shy blush and the double meaning behind it.

 

“Uh.” Chanyeol ponders about it for a second. “I can drop you home if you just want to leave.” Not only did Chanyeol miss Taeyeon’s intention, he also misinterpreted it.

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “No, no. I’m not tired. Do you want to dance?” She tries to change the subject quickly so Chanyeol wouldn’t insist on anything.

 

Chanyeol gives her an odd look before he shakes his head. “I can’t. I don’t know how and if I try I’ll- I can’t.” Taeyeon doesn’t take no for an answer and tugs on him till he finally complies and follows her to the dance floor. Taeyeon was about to position Chanyeol’s hands in place but Suho comes from out of nowhere.

 

“May I have this dance?” The Vice President asks.

“Actually I was just about t-” Taeyeon tries to explain but Chanyeol lightly shoves her towards Suho and nods, eager to escape with his dignity intact.

 

“Go ahead!” The giant replies happily and attempts to leave the dance floor, only to be knocked over by someone dancing wildly- it was Chen, with Lay and Kai, straight into someone who falls on to the floor with a loud yelp. Chanyeol instantly whirls around to help them up. Not really worried, considering it wasn’t his fault so this guy could get over it if he tries to yell at him.

 

All thoughts suddenly disappear when he notices that the someone is Baekhyun and he was already up and being inspected by his older brother for any damage. The glare he receives from Kris is deadly but he hardly registers that the glare he shoots back is twice as deadly and contained more malice than he subconsciously intended. One second he was glaring, the next second Chanyeol felt like something was constricting his chest while Baekhyun smiled up at him. It was fake. He could tell.

 

“Enjoying the dance?” Baekhyun asked over the music. Chanyeol nodded, even though he really hadn’t been enjoying himself. He hates mass gatherings. The only thing he came for was the meat but he really didn’t have the appetite to eat and all he has done was avoid his date while he watched Kris and Baekhyun from the other side of the floor. Chanyeol’s night . “WEll, enjoy the rest of your night!” Baekhyun waves at him. It only takes Chanyeol seconds to register what he meant before he was stopping the smaller male from leaving by the arm.

 

“You’re not staying till it’s over?” Chanyeol finds himself asking.

 

Baekhyun looks at him a little shocked before pulling himself together. “Oh no, Kris said he was tired so I thought he and I could head home now. Since he’s not dancing anyways. He won’t. It’s not his thing.” The smaller male explained. “Well-”

 

“Have you danced?” Chanyeol suddenly fired another question. Baekhyun furrows his eyebrows in confusion, not having heard the question so Chanyeol repeats himself. Neither of them even notice Kris has left to pull the car up front before coming back to get Baekhyun.

 

“Well, no. I haven’t but Kris won’t dan-”

 

Chanyeol isn’t sure what he’s doing or why he says it but he does. “I’ll dance with you.” Maybe it’s a blush or maybe it was caused by the red light of the dance but Chanyeol is still very unsure if Baekhyun was blushing or not so he goes with the logicals and says it’s the light because that makes more sense than anything. “I mean, if you want. You don’t have t-”

 

“Yes. I want to dance.” Baekhyun suddenly grabs Chanyeol’s hand and suddenly, everything feels right. This is about the time Kris comes back for his baby brother.

 

“Hey, Baek, I’ve pulled the car up front. Let’s go.” Kris grabs Baekhyun’s hand but Chanyeol holds on to the other tightly, with the strange feeling of not wanting to let go.

 

“Uh.” It takes Baekhyun a minute to formulate a sentence, telling Kris he didn’t want to leave anymore. “But, you can go, since you said you were tired. Um, I’ll call the driver over when the dance ends.”

 

Kris hesitates agreeing for a moment, glancing at Chanyeol before looking back at Baekhyun. “Okay.” Kris finally sighs out. He engulfs the smaller male into a hug, glaring at Chanyeol before leaving the dance.

 

After Kris left, it was as if a weight has been lifted off Chanyeol’s chest. He could breathe, finally. Except he’s sort of ed. How to dance? He doesn’t show what little worry he had on his outside character, just following Baekhyun where he leads them to a less crowded area of the floor. How do two  males dance with each other?

 

The upbeat song playing suddenly blends into another till it melds into a slower song. Baekhyun suddenly has trouble meeting his eyes. Is he suppose to hold the smaller male like he was with Taeyeon? Chanyeol guesses yes and pulls Baekhyun closer, resting one hand on his hip and holding the President’s other hand in his. He scans the floor quickly, watching how the other students held and spun around in circles with their date. Except Baekhyun isn’t Chanyeol’s date. This was a bad time to remember he basically ditched Taeyeon. But she was in Suho’s hands so she should be alright.

 

“Am I doing this correctly?” Chanyeol whispered into Baekhyun’s ear. Their chests are flushed against each others and after Chanyeol saw the other students with their hands on the small of their dates back, he did the same, making Baekhyun stiffen for a second before recovering. He isn’t as bad as he initially he thought he would be at this. It was a gift he was a fast learner. Chanyeol had only attempted to dance once in his life and it was a bad time, therefore, he never attempted it again. But this wasn’t so bad.

 

Baekhyun’s grip tightened on his shoulder but Chanyeol failed to notice, too busy watching the smaller male’s face. He still couldn’t figure out whether that was a blush on his face or just the lighting. Still the lighting. There was no reason for Baekhyun to be blushing. “Y-yeah.”

 

“You’re hot.”

 

Baekhyun looks up at Chanyeol in surprise. “What?”

 

“You feel warm, are you hot?” Chanyeol asked concern and Baekhyun understood now that it wasn’t a compliment. “Am I holding you too close I coul-”

 

“We’re fine.” Baekhyun smiled up at the giant and suddenly, everything felt nearly right again.

 

It takes a few seconds of silence between them before Chanyeol clears his throat. “Did you suddenly start hating me?” Chanyeol’s not one to care if people resented him.

 

Baekhyun looks up at him, confusion, marring his face. “What?”

 

“You suddenly stopped doing Baekhyun things.”

 

Baekhyun was still beyond confused but at the same time, he might have a clue at what Chanyeol was getting at. “What are you talking about, Chanyeol?”

 

Chanyeol doesn’t hesitate to answer. “I feel like you’re avoiding me.”

 

“I’m not.” Baekhyun doesn’t stutter but.

 

“Liar.”

 

“I’m not! Maybe. . . okay just a little.” Baekhyun admits to the accusation. Maybe he really has been trying to avoid Chanyeol as much as possible. He couldn't help it. He got angry at Chanyeol's stupid face and wanted to punch it for agreeing to go with Kim Taeyeon to the dance.

 

Chanyeol is well aware of his furrowed eyebrows this time. “Why? Did I offend you somehow?”

 

Baekhyun pulls back suddenly to look at Chanyeol’s face. Bad move. “N-no! Not a-at all.” He tries to calm himself to keep from stuttering any further. “I just- reasons.” Chanyeol was unreadable as usual. Baekhyun closes his eyes and tries to let his feelings do the talking. “I- you. I- I- li-”

 

“Chanyeol!” Taeyeon hollers at them, Suho nowhere in sight. Chanyeol’s hold on Baekhyun loosens till he releases Baekhyun fully. A low barely audible whine escapes the shorter male. “Ah, there you are. I’ve been looking for you- I thought you said you didn’t dance.” She gave them a skeptic sweepover. “But anyways, I have to leave early. I have a family emergency. I’ll see you Monday.” Taeyeon pulled Chanyeol down by the collar and planted a kiss on his cheek. Right in front of Baekhyun. The smaller man was seething in jealousy. “Bye, Chanyeol, Baekhyun.” She waved off to them before disappearing.

 

Chanyeol turns back to Baekhyun but finds the smaller male nowhere. “Baekhyun?” Chanyeol whirls around every which way till he finally spotted the President making his way to the entry. Once again, bless CHanyeol’s long legs. “What were you saying earli-”

 

“I’m tired. I’m going home.” Baekhyun yanked his arm out of Chanyeol’s grip. It wasn’t Chanyeol’s fault, he knew that. He knew the giant didn’t expect that little peck on the cheek from Taeyeon but his jealousy burns and he was throwing a temper tantrum. Baekhyun was not used to being unable to get what he wants. He was also terrible at sharing. Sharing is caring, what bull. Chanyeol only needed to be his and only his.

 

“Okay.” Chanyeol mumbled, completely unaware of Baekhyun’s anger. Maybe he could eat meat now he thought to himself but his mind was busy processing images of Baekhyun in the tux he was wearing, hugging his small frame perfectly, making Chanyeol feel a different kind of hunger. But he mistakes it for actual hunger and makes his way to the meat table.




 

 


 

 

Author's Note:

 

I swear to god, Park Chanyeol I will ing punch you in the face with cupid's arrow.