Cold Bars

Dis·Interested

 

“Open the door! Gran Mama, you left me outside!” A booming voice could be heard from the front door, interrupting Papa Park and Gran Mama’s gossip over the children.

 

Papa Park raised an eyebrow at his mother. The woman looked surprised before cursing under her breath. “, I forgot. I brought the other one along.”

 

“You brought the other one along?” Papa Park set his cup down, rising to his feet and walking over to the door to open it. “You brought--” As soon as the door was open, a lanky male stumbled backward into the home.

 

“He just came back from the states.” Gran Mama resumed drinking her tea. “Don’t worry about him. Come back to telling me about this Baek--”

 

 


 

“-hyun. Byun Baekhyun, you are so.” Chanyeol marched angrily up to the President and Hanyeol, forcing the two away from each other. “You know Baekhyun’s mine.”

 

Hanyeol scoffed, shoving Chanyeol aside a little too harshly. “Last time I heard, you rejected him.” Baekhyun would be lying if he said the reminder didn’t sting a bit. “You lost your chance.”

 

“You’re about to lose your life, if you don’t back off.” Chanyeol growled, shoving his twin equally as hard. Baekhyun grew worrisome due to the tension in the atmosphere. No one exactly knows who threw the first punch but it happened. The Student Council standing off to the side all gasped as Chanyeol went in for a punch but Baekhyun moved into the path and got hit instead of Hanyeol. "Holy .” The giants cursed, kneeling down to check over Baekhyun who had hit the ground. “Baek, I’m so sorry. That wasn’t for you are you--”

 

“Chanyeol, leave.” Baekhyun had his eyes closed, still laying on the ground. Chanyeol watched as his brother helped the President back on  to his feet, an arm around the brunette’s waist to keep him steady. The older twin’s heart clenched at the sight. He should be the one holding Baekhyun. “Just go home, Chanyeol. You’ve hurt me enough for now.”

 

Disappointment flooded the giant as Hanyeol led the small President further away from him. Suho sighed, stepping forward and padding over to where the giant was frozen in place. “What’re you going to do?”

 

It stayed silent for a bit, everyone surrounding Chanyeol’s figure on the ground, held their breath and strained their ears waiting for the answer. The meat lover finally got to his feet with the help of Xiumin and Yixing, dusting off the dirt on his pants as he spoke lowly. “Isn’t it obvious? I’m chasing after him.” Chanyeol glared in the direction Hanyeol and Baekhyun took to get away from all of them. “But not today. I don’t want to become a murderer.”

 

 


 

“Chanyeol, are you sure--” Luhan started.

 

“--you’re going to be okay?” Sehun finished for his half-brother. The giant nodded, waving them off as he trudged to the front door of his home. Chanyeol gave the Student Council staff a forced smile, making them all wince before wishing them all a safe trip back to their homes and entering his own, leaning against the door and sliding down the heavy wood. He feels sick.

 

“You look like hell, bro.”

 

Chanyeol’s head snapped up to find his youngest brother, Sungyeol. His parents picked names they couldn’t possibly call them wrongly by accident, by giving all three of them the nickname Yeol. “Yeol, what are you doing here?”

 

“With Gran Mama.” The youngest of the three Yeol siblings answered nonchalantly before shoving an entire bread roll into his mouth. “Heard Yeol was taking your man, Yeol.” Chanyeol groaned, falling over and becoming one with the floor. “We have tea, want some? You look like you could use some.” Sungyeol knelt down to heave his oldest brother off the floor and help him into the living room. “Yeol’s home.”

 

Gran Mama jumped to her feet like a young lad as soon as her eyes landed on her baby. “Yeol! How has my bab--what happened to your face?” She finished growling out a question. “Who did this I will--”

 

“Hanyeol.”

 

“Oh.” Gran Mama closed , not sure if she should ask but she does anyways. “Is it because of the Byun boy? Have you ever thought about just letting Hanyeol hav--”

 

Chanyeol glared at his beloved grandmother. “Maybe when I’m dead, Gran Mama.” The older twin smiled at the olden woman. “Maybe when hell freezes over.” Chanyeol laughed mockingly, pulling away from Sungyeol and marching up the stairs, throwing his hands up in the air when he yells. “Or maybe never!”

 

Jibsa sat on the couch quietly commenting, “He’s got it bad.” Papa Park, Gran Mama and Sungyeol faced the composed butler. “We need to have a session with him. Let’s go.” Jibsa sat his cup down, pacing towards the stairs and pausing just at the base to wait for the others who were discussing among themselves on how to pacify Chanyeol.

 

“Baekhyun was CHanyeol’s first.” The butler heard Mr. Park harshly whisper at his mother.

 

Gran Mama countered with, “But Hanyeol needs someone in his life. This might be his only chance.”

 

Sungyeol muttered something along the lines of, “Or this Baekhyun can just be mine so they can be friends again.” Papa Park and Gran Mama smacked him on the head for his comment, causing Jibsa to clear his throat, effectively catching all of their attention.

 

“Shall we?”

 

 


 

Hanyeol doesn’t come home Sunday and after having some kind of consultation with his family, Chanyeol feels on edge.

 

 


 

When Monday rolls around, there is talk amongst the students. Talk that Chanyeol blocks out as hard as he possibly can. Usually, the giant’s ability to ignore the world would kick in but he’s become weak to the name they utter. He’s weak against Baekhyun. “Shut up!” Chanyeol suddenly bolts up from his desk, catching everyone's attention. They all fall silent, eyes fixated on him as he pants angrily. His booming voice ring loud and clear in the classroom when he yells, “Baekhyun does not like Hanyeol!”

 

“Why would you say that, Park?” Someone challenges. It’s Ren. The blonde headed male continues to read his book as he speaks. “Hanyeol’s attractive, he’s smart, and from what we know, he has money.” The petite male cranes his neck to make eye contact with Chanyeol. “Hanyeol’s like you except better. No wonder Baekhyun dropped you for him.” Everyone’s eyes shifted to the door of the classroom when they heard steps enter the silent class. Hanyeol and Baekhyun entered together silently, hands linked. Ren muttered out an “I told you so” before resuming his reading.

 

The class continued to glance back and forth between Chanyeol and what the other students continued to brand “The new couple.” The giant in the back of the class left his head down on the desk for the entire lesson, not caring too much about the subject when he himself was basically history in Baekhyun’s book.

 

 


 

The air in the Student Council room was beyond tense. Chen found it he needed to open the windows to be able to breathe. Baekhyun sat as far away from Chanyeol and the giant watched the President the whole time with what looked like nothing but pleading.

 

Suho finally had enough when Kyungsoo kicked him under the table for the sixth time in the span of three minutes. “Enough!” The Vice President yelled as he abruptly rose to his feet. “We are going to fix this whether you all like it or not.” He looked angrily between Chanyeol and Baekhyun. “Baekhyun, would you like to explain to us where you stand on this whole thing?”

 

Everyone watched the President intently as he sighed resigned, setting his fork down. “I’m going out with--” Baekhyun doesn’t even have the chance to finish when they hear the door to the room slam shut, all flinching at the harsh sound of the heavy wooden door being slammed. The brunette finds no heart in finishing his sentence. “Let’s just leave it alone.”

 

"Liar." Someone whispers.

 

No one argues and the Student Council room remains deafeningly silent for the remainder of the day.

 

 


 

Chanyeol doesn’t make a move when he hears soft knocks against his bedroom door. “Chanyeol, we need to talk.” The President followed him home when school ended. The giant was about to heave himself out of bed when he hears Hanyeol call out to Baekhyun, asking him in a disgustingly happy tone why he was here.

 

“Oh, that’s Chanyeol’s room. Mine’s over here, you must’ve gotten confused.” The younger twin laughed, causing Chanyeol to frown bitterly under his comforter. He finally pulled the blanket off himself when he hears Baekhyun’s explanations being cut off by Hanyeol and die down as the door across his own room is shut closed.

 

“I should’ve killed you in the womb.” Chanyeol closed his eyes, completely defeated. When laughter could be heard in the other room, he knows he won’t be able to take it and rolls out of bed, quickly grabbing a jacket before heading out, not bothering to bid anyone in the house a farewell.

 

Chanyeol mumbled to himself as he trudged across the empty park, climbing to the top of the jungle gym. The giant spreads his long limbs out and lays on the uncomfortable metal bars, watching the darkening sky.

 

 


 

Baekhyun laughs at another joke Hanyeol makes, when Papa Park suddenly opens the door, looking worried. “Is Chanyeol in here with you guys?” The president and Hanyeol shook their heads no in answer to the older man. “Okay.” Papa Park left, shutting the door behind him.

 

Hanyeol took Baekhyun’s hands into his when he notices the hint of unease on the President’s face. “I’m sure Chanyeol’s fine. He likes to go out for walks.” The taller smiles at the brunette, cupping Baekhyun’s face in his hands before leaning in but the smaller rose to his feet before Hanyeol could make contact.

 

“It’s getting late. I should start heading home.” Baekhyun patted the taller’s head. Hanyeol began to rise to his feet, also but the President stopped him, saying he could walk himself out. “It’s really okay. I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye.” Baekhyun left the room and closed the door, whisking out of the Park home whilst hollering a goodbye to Papa Park before Hanyeol could even argue otherwise.

 

The small President ran down the street, only stopping when he was a good distance away from where he came from. His eyes scanned his surroundings, observing the park he was standing near. Baekhyun squinted, unsure if what he was seeing wasn’t just his imagination. “Chanyeol?” He yelled across the park, striding towards the figure on top of the jungle gym bars. “Chanyeol!” He called again, beginning to scale up the bars.

 

The figure groaned, stirring awake and by this time, Baekhyun missed his gripping a bar, arm falling through, his face, hitting the taller’s chest. “Baekhyun?” Chanyeol rasped, his voice raw from his nap session. “What are you doing? Why don’t you have a jacket on? It gets cold at night.” The giant doted as he helped Baekhyun up properly at the top of the jungle gym before shrugging off his jacket and covering the brunette with it.

 

“I’m fine. What are you doing out here?”

 

“Napping.” Chanyeol answers obviously, not wanting to look at Baekhyun.

 

The President shoves him onto his back before laying on him. “You know, I’m a liar.”

 

“What?” The giant asked, confused.

 

Baekhyun rested his chin on Chanyeol’s chest, pouting. “I said, I’m a liar.”

 

“How are you a liar?”

 

“I’m not going out with--” Baekhyun doesn’t get a chance to finish his sentence when Chanyeol rolls them around. Which was a huge mistake. The sudden action caused both of them to fall from the top of the jungle gym.

 

 


 

“You’re dumb.” Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol before hitting his uninjured arm repeatedly. “Beyond dumb but I’m glad it’s just your arm.” The President lost energy in hitting the taller, resting his head on the giant’s shoulder instead.

 

“Glad you care so much.” Chanyeol smiled. “You’re artistic right?”

 

Baekhyun lifted his head to look at Chanyeol oddly. “Sort of, why?” It was past midnight when Chanyeol requested for Baekhyun to draw on his red cast to make it look like Iron Man. It was two in the morning when the brunette felt sleep overcoming him next to the giant on the hospital bed. “You should kiss me.”

 

“Should I?” Chanyeol mumbled, equally tired. Baekhyun pulled him closer by the neck, mumbling a ‘yes,’ against his lips. “Are we back to normal?” The giant asked in between kisses.

 

Baekhyun smiled as he kissed Chanyeol. “Normal? Sure.”

 

“What about Han--”

 

“Don’t ruin the mood, Chanyeol.” The smaller male hugged the taller closer, wrapping a leg around the giant’s waist. Chanyeol heeded the warning and just let everything go but Baekhyun.

 

 


 

Hanyeol laid in his bed awake that night, feeling restless. Something wasn’t right but he’ll make it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note

 

I like making things dramatic, only to kill it with something simple because I do what I want. Whatever.

 

Let's say this here is Sungyeol.

 

 

Cliff hanger.