Of Punishments

Dis·Interested

 

A siren in the distance rouses Chanyeol from his nap on top of the jungle gym. Ah, what a cruel dream. Reality is cold, much like the weather at the moment and as much as he wants and waits for Baekhyun to show up on top of the metal bars, he knew the President wasn’t coming. Baekhyun was with Hanyeol now and no matter how many dreams his mind may conjure, it was never going to be a lie. This reality, having a broken heart, hurts more than his false dream of having a broken arm. Chanyeol thinks he'd rather have a broken bone with Baekhyun beside him than be perfectly fine and have him not.

 

 


 

“Hello?” Suho groans with sleep still weighing him down. But all traces of slumber disappear, quickly replaced with alertness and panic after listening to Kyungsoo’s alarmed voice. “I’m on my way, Soo. Stay calm.”

 

 


 

Chanyeol arrives home at around midnight. The dream of Baekhyun with him atop the jungle gym bars is still very much vivid and surreal. The giant was much too preoccupied being bitter and wanting it to become reality that he doesn’t see their home's front door knocking him head on. Hanyeol emerged from the house, hastily pulling his coat on, looking very much terrified. It sets something in Chanyeol off. “Hey!”

 

“Not now, come on.” The younger twin pulled on his older brother’s arm but Chanyeol snatched his arm back, yelling ‘no’ at the other. “We don’t have time for this. I knew I should’ve walked him to the bus.”

 

The older twin furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Vague rings of sirens in the distance coming back to him. “You’re a piece of .”

 

“Like you’re any better. Let’s go.”

 

 


 

Chanyeol feels a certain déjà vu overtake him upon arriving at the hospital. Hanyeol hastily parks the car before running straight to the hospital. When the brothers were finished signing in and finding information from the front desk, they make their way down endless floors and halls, until finally throwing the door into Baekhyun’s room open.

The President’s hospital bed was surrounded by the other Student Council members, who all looked back at them upon their arrival. Baekhyun looked so small in his patient gown and the yellow cast that surrounded his right arm. The giant took a step forward, ready to fuss over the small brunette but Hanyeol beat him to it, stomping over next to Baekhyun rather angrily as if he was ready to give the smaller a lecture. But in the end, the younger twin broke down thanking the gods Baekhyun escaped with just minor scratches and a broken arm.

Chanyeol stood next to the door awkwardly and watched along with the others as Hanyeol took Baekhyun’s hand into his before planting a kiss upon it. Chanyeol feels like he was the one hit by a car when he sees the bright smile blooming on the President’s face as he watches Hanyeol and tells him that he’s tough and just fine. The younger giant smiles back the smaller in the hospital bed and his cheek lovingly. Chanyeol feels like being sick so he runs out of the room. And he continues running away.

 

 


 

Where do missed chances go?

 

Chanyeol asks himself one day as he’s sitting at a bench outside, in the school’s garden. No one rarely ever came here and since the car incident with Baekhyun, he’s been having lunch at the same spot, instead of in the Student Council room. That night at the hospital, Sehun asked him a question.

 

 

“What are you going to do?”

 

Chanyeol sighed, heavy and defeated. “What’s left to do. I’ll leave them alone. Hanyeol makes Baekhyun happy. That’s the important thing. . . Baekhyun’s happiness.”

 

 

And that’s what Chanyeol exactly did and is still doing. He backed down, stayed away as much as possible from the President. Only spoke to the brunette when needed and watched from the side-lines with a fake smile on his face when Baekhyun and Hanyeol were together. Chanyeol sighs heavily, laying on the bench and resting a book on top of his face to shield it from the sun. Baekhyun shouldn’t be affecting him this much anymore. Byun Baekhyun never should’ve affected him in the first place. Hell, he couldn't even get the smaller’s name correctly back then and knew nothing about his existence but now he couldn’t get him out of his head.

 

Forgetting the President of the school isn’t exactly the easiest. The small brunette was literally everywhere and sharing multiple classes with him, helped Chanyeol next to none. The giant’s head spins, much like the world but with no control and it's all thanks to Baekhyun, the continuous storm that blows him away. The President has no clue what he does to Chanyeol. Absolutely nothing of how hard the giant has fallen and realized just how big of a mistake rejecting him was when the smaller is exactly who he’s been looking for. Maybe in the back of his mind then, he thought Baekhyun would come bounding back to him, like the resilient individual he was. Chanyeol miscalculated just how much the smaller actually liked him. He practically tossed his chance away and Hanyeol came around and picked it up.

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

The giant bolted up into sitting position at the sound of his name, causing the book resting on his face to fly off. His heart beats erratically and he feels the need to run with every footstep the other takes towards his perch on the bench. Rarely anyone comes to the school garden and when someone finally does, why did it have to be--"Baekhyun?”

 

The President gives a small laugh as he bends down to pick up Chanyeol’s fallen book. “Sorry, did I disturb you? I’m sorry.”

 

“Ah, no.” Chanyeol looks down at his shoes. “No. You’re fine. I just didn’t think anyone came here.” To the giant’s surprise, Baekhyun takes a seat next to him.

 

The small brunette takes a deep breath, leaning back and closing his eyes before speaking. “Well, I do, when I’m trying to get away from everyone--”

 

“Then, I should leave.” Chanyeol gets on his feet, clutching onto his book tightly.

 

“No!” Baekhyun’s eyes fly open, a little alarmed. It doesn’t take much but a pull from the President to set Chanyeol off balance and tumbling back to sit on the bench. Baekhyun is still holding onto Chanyeol when he speaks. “I--” The President pauses, stuttering in his mind, trying to find the right words or any words at all. “I need a nap and you-you need to continue yours.” Baekhyun states rather unconfidently. Chanyeol just nods, not wanting to question the other. Baekhyun still hasn’t let go of his arm. He has half the mind to pull away and the other half to snuggle closer debating on doing one or the other when he feels the small brunette lean against him, still clutching onto his arm.

 

Chanyeol contemplates on leaving, he really does but, “Don’t even think of leaving me.” Baekhyun mumbled sleepily and the giant didn’t have it in him to do so and gave in, leaning his head on top of Baekhyun’s and they took a nap together in the school’s garden that fine spring day.

 

 


 

“Um, excuse me. You’re very hot and all--” Luhan began.

 

“--but why are you in here?” Sehun finished.

 

The stranger in the Student Council room looked up at the half brothers, winking at them. “Thanks. You guys are pretty hot yourselves.” Luhan blushed but Sehun wasn’t too amused. “And I’m here because of my big bro, Chanyeol. I am in the right classroom, right?”

 

“Yeah, you are.” Xiumin piped up, not bothering to look up from the account book. “But Chanyeol doesn’t seem to be coming in today and neither is Baekhyun. Suho seems to be running late but he’ll be here, considering Chen is in here. And you are?” The small treasurer at the corner end of the table finally looked up to scrutinize the unknown student.

 

“Oh, I’m Sungyeol, younger brother of Chanyeol and Hanyeol.”

 

Kyungsoo scrunches his face, muttering about there being too many Yeols in this school. “Are you guys triplets?” Sungyeol shakes his head no. “So, twins and--”

 

“I’m just their half-brother. Same mother, different father. Which is why I live with Gran Mama.” Kyungsoo began to apologize but Sungyeol stopped him. “Don’t apologize, it isn’t a sob story and I don’t have daddy issues from it. I like living with Gran Mama so everything is just dandy.”

 

The conversation ends there with Suho waltzing into the room with plans for the spring car wash. “Alright, so--” The Vice President glances up as he’s speaking before stopping to a grinding halt and asking what everyone in the room already knew. “Who’s that?”

 

The young Park sibling waved at Suho before introducing himself. “Hi, I’m Sungyeol. Park Sungyeol.”

 

“Oh God, another one.” Suho massaged his temples, already feeling an oncoming headache. “You aren’t after Baekhyun too, are you? Because I really can’t deal with any of that anymore.” The Vice President looks Sungyeol straight in the eyes, challenging him.

 

Sungyeol shakes his head no before smiling, resting a cheek against his palm. “I’m not after Baekhyun but you on the other hand, I’m very interested in you.”

 

Suho held a hand up to stop Sungyeol. “Stop right there. Don’t even think about it any further because it is not going to happen.” Chen nods in his seat next to Suho. “I will not associate myself in romantic fantasies with a Park because you’re all trouble.”

 

“Hard to get. I like that.” Sungyeol at his lips as his eyes the Vice President’s body.

 

“Get out.” Suho orders the non-member out of the Council room. Sungyeol isn’t a difficult person and does as he’s told, winking at the Vice President on his way out. Chen glared at the youngest Park sibling the whole time. “Where the hell is Baekhyun?”

 

 


 

When Hanyeol’s last class finished, he bounded his way to the Student Council room, only to be greeted by disappointment. “Where’s Baekhyun?” The Student Council members shrugged.

 

“He never showed up so he might have gone home early.” Kai informed the younger twin as he hugged Kyungsoo, who was very much displeased with their proximity.

 

“Get off, you .” The small Advisor whacked Kai repeatedly on the chest. The Public Affairs Officer only smiled and took the hits. Hanyeol got tired of watching the two and thanked them before leaving, wishing he could’ve taken Baekhyun home today.

 

“There’s always tomorrow.” The giant tells himself.

 

 


 

Maybe he had been too rash at the time and only sees it now that he should’ve given Chanyeol another chance. The President’s head is carefully resting against Chanyeol’s shoulder. The giant was still very much dozing off, given away by his steady breath. Baekhyun feels content next to him, very comfortable and lonely.

 

This must be rock bottom, the brunette thinks to himself, to be sitting next to the one he loves yet being unable to be with him. Baekhyun feels like he pushed it a little too far, a little too hard, a little too fast and ed it up too badly along the way and this is why he’s sitting here on an old bench in the school garden, being punished by the universe. The brunette slowly looked up at Chanyeol’s face, marvelling at the very slight difference his facial features had with Hanyeol. He shouldn’t, he really shouldn’t but invading Chanyeol’s personal space is a habit that dies hard. And before Baekhyun could stop himself, he’s already planting a kiss on the giant’s cheek. The universe must be really punishing him because when he pulls away, Chanyeol is awake.

 

Baekhyun is very much a romantic and closed his eyes when he sees the taller leaning closer and closer. The President smiles bitterly when too long passes and there’s nothing. When Baekhyun opens his eyes, he’s alone in the garden and Chanyeol long gone.

 

“A goodbye kiss wouldn’t have hurt.” The small brunette mumbled, wiping something out of his eyes.

Chanyeol continued to hide behind a tall hedge, face devoid of any emotion. He’s being punished by the universe, he just knows it.

 

 

 


Author's Note

School is draining and I like Hanyeol but I hate him at the same time.

twitter | tumblr