Part of the Plan?

Dis·Interested

 

 

Baekhyun chews on his bottom lip as he stares at the Student Council doorway. He hasn’t seen Chanyeol since morning, after he gave the giant a ride to school. He holds on to his fork tightly, tapping his foot impatiently as he continued to stare intently at said doorway. Suho and Kyungsoo are growing slightly concerned these days. They were almost sure that Baekhyun would’ve dropped his little crush on Chanyeol after the second week but how long has it been? Four weeks? Chanyeol was going for a record it seems, without knowing it. “Baekhyun.” Suho and Kyungsoo called the President at the same time. One of Baekhyun’s eyes visibly twitched before he tore  his gaze away from the entry way.

 

“Hm?” The shorter male hummed.

 

Suho left Kyungsoo to handle it, turning towards Chen to discuss their upcoming dance event. “Baekhyun, are you alright?” Kyungsoo rose from where he sat to cup the student council president’s face. “You seem a little-”

 

“Jumpy? Nervous? Restless?” Baekhyun fired one after the other. Kyungsoo nodded in response. “Well, yeah, a little because-”

 

“Hey, Chanyeol.” Luhan and Sehun greeted the giant at the same time. Chanyeol gave them a little head nod in return before taking his usual seat, ready to eat his daily meat. “So, who’re you asking to the upcoming dance?” Luhan nudged the giant repeatedly. Chanyeol wasn’t bothered and gave him a blunt answer of “not going”  before digging into his treasured meat.

 

Baekhyun dropped his fork at the statement. Everyone in the room visibly tensed, looking back and forth between Baekhyun and Chanyeol. It was as if Baekhyun just lost a loved one by the way his eyes swirled in a void of sadness and despair. Chen decides to try and save the day. “Why not?” He piped up, before elbowing Lay next to him.

 

“Ow, ow, yeah! Why not? It’s going to be nice.” Lay rose from his seat, painting the imaginary scenery with his hands in the empty air. “Well dressed, gorgeous people everywhere you turn. There’s dancing- oh dancing like-” Kai and Lay broke out into dance. Xiumin had to interrupt their little party after grinding ensued. “Well anyways, it’s going to be fun.”

 

“No.” Chanyeol ended the conversation and continued to eat his meat. Everyone with the exception of Suho gave Baekhyun a “we tried” look.

 

Suho knew it was time for him to step up to the plate. “But Chanyeol. You’ll miss all the. . .” There was a short pause for everyone to gasp. Suho was using the ultimate weapon so early in the game. “Top grade meat that will be displayed in the shape of a whole pig.” Everyones head snapped towards Chanyeol’s direction and watched as the tall male slowly raised his head to challenge the truth in what Suho had just told him.

 

“Top grade meat?”

 

“Tables and table of meat.” Suho assured Chanyeol while everyone held on to the edge of their seat. Will this be a lost cause?

 

Chanyeol took a minute to collect himself. “Really?”

 

“We’ve already made set orders to the caterers. Just check with Xiumin if you believe me not.”

 

Another long pause by Chanyeol. Everyone held their breath, including Suho, careful not to miss Chanyeol’s response. “I guess, it could be fun.” The sigh of relief that they all let out puzzled Chanyeol but that sigh of relief quickly left them once they all realised the mission ahead of them for the week. How in hell are they going to convince Chanyeol to go to the  dance with Baekhyun. Hopefully Baekhyun will handle it but it wasn’t looking too bright.


 

 


 

 

“Chanyeol, may I speak to you for a second?” Taeyeon gave the giant her flawless smile. Luhan and Sehun’s ears perked up at the request. They’re eavesdropping, yes. Whatever, people do it. Chanyeol nodded and followed Taeyeon little ways to the quieter part of the studio. Sehun and Luhan chuckled darkly together. Move to the quietest corner all you want, Kim Taeyeon, you can’t be saved from their hawk-like hearing. “So, I was thinking. . .” Taeyeon started. Luhan and Sehun leaned closer to their direction. “Maybe we could go to the dance together.”

Luhan and Sehun didn’t know what to do. If Suho was here, they were sure the Vice President would’ve intervened but Taeyeon is their senior so neither of them really wanted to act and plus, Taeyeon was really nice. But then again, Baekhyun. . . they were in a tight spot. They shouldn’t have eavesdropped. “I guess.” Chanyeol said lamely, not really giving a care. He was only going for the free meat after all. Luhan and Sehun’s jaws dropped. Chanyeol accepted. .


 

 


 

 

The current atmosphere inside the student council room was tense, thick, tense, thick. Completely and absolutely ridiculous and passively near explosive at any unknown second. Suho clears his throat,  causing everyone to flinch in their seat, before glancing back and forth between Baekhyun and Chanyeol. No one has informed Baekhyun about Chanyeol’s availability for the dance and no one really wanted to bear the news to him. Either too scared or too scared. Mostly scared because it was Baekhyun. Is scared the right word? Yes. Yes, it is. And no one was ready to deal with whatever reaction the President might have.

 

But apparently, Baekhyun himself was ready for it. “So, Chanyeol. The dance.” Everyone and gasped as Baekhyun tried to casually ease a conversation. Chanyeol looked up and swallowed his food, looking  at Baekhyun with his usual no emotion expression. “I was wonderi-”

“Taeyeon asked me to go with her earlier and I guess I should thank her for wanting to accompany me to it.” Chanyeol interrupted, not hearing Baekhyun’s mumbled beginning of a question. Suho and Kyungsoo began to subtly scoot away from Baekhyun, mentally counting down the few minutes till the President and Chanyeol had to leave for work.

 

The smile Baekhyun presents was blinding. “That’s wonderful.” He quickly said before rising. “I’m going to start heading to work. The earlier the better, right? More work more fun! Haha.” Baekhyun shouted with an all too painful fake enthusiasm and chuckled softly. “Bye.” The student council president rushed out of the room.

 

Chanyeol stared a while after Baekhyun had long gone, suddenly losing his appetite and setting down his eating utensils. “Poor guy.” Luhan mumbled, not intending for Chanyeol to hear. Sehun twisted his lips as he nodded. “And he forgot his stuff.” Luhan added. Chanyeol rose from his  seat and for the first time ever, he had meat leftovers. Everyone watched as Chanyeol collect Baekhyun’s things and his own before heading after the smaller male.

 

“He has leftovers.” The whole remaining student council staff stared at Chanyeol’s abandoned plate. “Is that a good sign?” Xiumin asked out loud.


 

 


 

 

It doesn’t take Chanyeol long to catch up with Baekhyun. Bless his height and long legs. “Baekhyun!” He caught the smaller male by the arm and stopped him. “You forgot your stu-” Chanyeol was unable to finish his sentence, looking down at Baekhyun’s crying face. He’s never dealt well with these situations.

 

“Oh, thanks, haha.” Baekhyun laughed and even to Chanyeol’s ears, it sounded strained. He took his stuff from the tall male who just continued to look at him. “Is something wrong?”

 

Chanyeol framed Baekhyun’s face with his hands, surprising him. “You’re crying.” He pointed out.

 

Baekhyun laughed half heartedly. “Am I?” Chanyeol nodded. “Don’t worry about it.” Baekhyun suddenly tugged him down to kiss him on the lips. “Let’s go.” The smaller male walked ahead of him, leaving Chanyeol behind with the taste of strawberry cheesecake and salty tears on his lips. A weird combination. But still good. He thinks the kiss was shorter than usual though but lets it slip from his mind as he caught up with Baekhyun, feeling weird when the shorter male didn’t initiate lacing their fingers together.

 

Work was a drag, if Chanyeol was to be honest. It seems Baekhyun was off his usual game today and let a few customers slip by and land at their establishment. Key wasn't too pleased and something that resembled concern, stirred within Chanyeol. It may have been possible for you to catch Chanyeol staring at Baekhyun more than the giant might admit to.



 

 


 

 

Things get even weirder after work when Baekhyun merely waves goodbye to him as he got into his family car. Chanyeol knows he doesn't get a goodnight kiss but walking alone felt wrong after having been accompanied by the smaller male for some time now. He furrowed his eyebrows ever so slightly as he continued his walk of solitude before dismissing everything as Baekhyun just feeling tired after a long day.

 

A  certain nagging feeling doesn’t go away till Chanyeol falls asleep, exhausted from thought. That may or may not have involved Byun Baekhyun.


 

 


 

Author's Note

That's right. Let him get to you. You cold bastard.