Day Nine

A Month of Kim Jongdae

‘Hello?’

‘Jongdae, it’s me.’

‘Lay?’ his voice radiated excitement upon hearing the familiar voice of his old comrade.

‘Yeah, it’s me. Listen, I can’t talk too long. Katherine’s at Kris’ house. I can’t tell you what’s happening there now since I really don’t know but Luhan-hyung’s been going there lately, I think he knows. Just wanted to tell you that whatever happens, don’t go there. Do not go there.’

‘What-‘

The call ended.

What the hell?


She was walking back and forth in circles as she pondered on what to do at present. She was running out of ideas especially now that she was locked inside a room for nine days.

Well, she wasn’t really locked in, but she might as well stay in rather than meet with Kris around the house. She did once, and she wasn’t pleased about what happened. It was like he was boring holes on her by his gaze.

Kris had been a little kinder to her. Or had he been that kind ever since? She didn’t really care so why would she even bother?

He had been constantly trying to talk to her even if she did nothing but push him away. It was supposed to be tiring for Kris, but knowing that he was under the same roof as her twenty-four hours a day every day was enough for him to push through.

After all, it was his house and she was his guest. Why be rude, right?

The one day she encountered him while roaming around the house was the time she saw him cooking breakfast.


-KATHERINE-

She woke up pretty early – earlier than usual, by the sound of someone shouting. She couldn’t really make out of the muffled noise since she was in the room, on the second floor. She rubbed her eyes and managed a yawn before deciding to find where the noise was coming from. She stepped out of her room and walked carefully down the stairs. There could be a thief inside for all she knew.

She made her way to the kitchen where the noise was most audible. She almost screamed in shock as she heard Kris cursing about something she didn’t even know.

She hurriedly went inside and saw him clutching his already swollen hand and she would’ve laughed at him if only it wasn’t that serious. But he was sweating like a pig and his hand didn’t look quite well.

‘Oh my god,’ she involuntarily said. Kris looked shocked as he darted his eyes towards her.


-KRIS-

Luhan, you idiot.

He had considered Luhan’s suggestion the night before about cooking her a meal. Apparently, cooking wasn’t his thing. It never was.

But it was for Katherine, so screw everything else.

He had pondered about what to cook and realized that she would’ve liked waffles since, well, he often saw her and Jongdae entering a waffle house every coffee break before. Remember why I still know, Kris muttered under his breath.

He had tried making waffles, but resulted to him burning his hand. He wasn’t made for cooking and had admitted it long ago. But when Luhan suggested that girls appreciate it when their men cooked for them, he immediately thought of bringing back his interest in cooking.

But then, it obviously was a bad idea.

Their men. How ironic. She wouldn't even consider him her friend.

He met with her concerned eyes and wished he’d be swallowed by the ground.


‘Oh my god, Jongdae, what happened?!’ she hurriedly ran to Jongdae as he had his head bowed down and his left hand tightly held around his right.

‘It’s nothing, I’m fine,’ he tried to dismiss her but who was he kidding?

‘Fine?! God, your hand looks like it’s going to be cooked any moment now!’ she exclaimed. She carefully held his hand, ‘Let me see, damn it.’ His eyes grew wide. Never had he seen her angry before. Was she mad at him now?

‘I’m sorry,’ he muttered in a low voice. Her glaring eyes met with his and she immediately softened.

‘I’m not.. Just, don’t make me worry,’ she said as she tended to his hand. He felt his heart swell up in slight joy and for a single moment, he thanked the accident. He was momentarily trapped in his thoughts when he heard her ask, ‘What the hell do you think you’re doing anyway?’

He smiled shyly, obviously embarrassed to admit to his doings, ‘I was trying to cook you breakfast,’ he said as he rubbed the back of his head with his left hand. She stopped for a moment to look him in the eye with an amused smile, ‘You what?’

‘Don’t make me say it again.’

‘Are you being serious now?’

‘No, I just thought that burning my hand would be fun, you know,’ he said sarcastically.

‘Idiot.’

‘I love you too,’ he cheekily replied. She couldn’t help but smile as he brushed her fingers through his and blew on it.

‘Next time, be careful, you dumdum,’ she said and he chuckled.

‘Yes ma’am.’


‘Let me see,’ she said as she approached him and held out her hand. He looked startled though, and just stared at her hand for a while before cautiously placing his on top.

‘What were you doing?’ she sounded irritated and he mentally face-palmed himself.

Luhan, you’re dead.

‘Nothing. I was uhh- just trying to.. cook breakfast,’ he admitted which made her look at him suspiciously.

‘You what?’

‘Was trying to cook,’ he said and bowed his head, ‘for you,’ he whispered more to himself. She pretended she didn’t hear even though it rang clearly in her ears.

She blew air on his hand and rubbed it softly. Kris could only watch her.

‘Next time, be careful, you dumdum,’ she muttered quite angrily.

What was that he heard? He could only look at her with wide eyes. Has she called him a nickname? For a second he forgot about beating Luhan up.

She stood up and said, ‘Don’t touch it or else it’ll worsen,’ before she turned to leave.

Kris stared at his hand, satisfied about the little skinship  that just occurred.


Chapter nine, done :)

How was it? Comments and thoughts are always welcomed! :D

Stay tuned, yes? ♥