Day Twenty-six

A Month of Kim Jongdae

‘Man, you’ve messed up,’ Suho knocked, ‘but please, it’s not the end of the world.’

He was knocking on Jongdae’s door for the past thirty minutes now. There wasn’t a sound heard. There was barely a movement sensed. Seems like this side of the house where Jongdae was at was imaginary and Suho looked like a stupid curious kid knocking on a mysterious door as if some creature would appear and greet him.


-JONGDAE-

To say he felt like would be an understatement. Maybe because he was the in the crappy situation himself. No words were needed to express – no words would even testify to what he was feeling.

Why would life suddenly be harsh to the both of them? They didn’t mean anything wrong. Maybe it was because of the fact that both of them had wronged in some way on another. Yes, maybe that’s why.

But still, it was no reason to drift them a part. They were like puzzle pieces. One completing the other. One being the other’s match. One being the other’s partner for life. Now even the puzzle thing makes him feel like an idiot. She was within his grasp again only to let her slip away.


-KATHERINE-

She didn’t know why she found the thought of having a child at this situation still comforting. Being a mother wasn’t exactly in her plan, but since it was already present, she wouldn’t try to harm the child.

Even if it wasn’t Jongdae’s. It’s still a living being – she couldn’t possibly kill it for the wrong that it didn’t do. The ugly thought of being taken advantage of wasn’t at all pleasing. In fact, it is the worst thing that has happened to her so far, alongside being away from Jongdae.

But even so, even if she was taken advantage of, she wouldn’t take it against the child. It was hers. And she’ll grow up with it. Even if Jongdae accepts her or not.

At least she’ll have someone with her.


-KRIS-

Damn, this woman never changed. Still sticking to his plan of using Andrea to get the information he needed, he had to of course, bear with the consequences. Andrea, based on their past relationship, was a slowpoke. Maybe that’s why they didn’t work out. Her slow, happy-go-lucky attitude didn’t really meet up well with his fast-paced, always-busy one. Maybe that’s why she came into a liking to Jongdae.

Jongdae.

Why did Jongdae have to be so different from him? Jongdae was warm, while he was cold. Jongdae smiled, when he kept a straight face. Jongdae was favored, when he was feared.

Jongdae had Katherine, while he had no one. The cold truth felt like it was stabbed through his whole being. Was it really his fault he was born like that? Did he have to lose Katherine just because he wasn’t like Jongdae?

Love can be a stubborn little picky prick sometimes. And they say love is blind. What a joke.

Just as he was about to kill Jongdae in his mind for what seemed like the seventh time now, he caught a glimpse of the woman of the hour. Finally. He stood up, bowed elegantly, and held his hand for hers. She put her hand on top of his and smiled shyly. Kissing the back of her hand, he spoke, ‘good evening, beautiful.’

Oh, what a bluffer.

She was indeed stunning, but unfortunately, the diamond necklace and earrings she wore didn’t really attract him more than the other men from the restaurant they were in. If hungry looks can kill, she’d be dead by now. It didn’t work for Kris, though, since the only thing brighter than those diamonds which Andrea wore was Katherine – or maybe Katherine’s necklace which was still with him.

‘Good evening, Kris,’ she blushed as she sat down, ‘sorry I’m late.’

He shrugged his hand, ‘no big deal.’

‘So.. care for some wine?’ he asked as he raised his hand to call for a waiter.

‘I’d love some.’


-LUHAN-

‘Where are you going?’

He faced the person who had asked him a question he had never wanted to hear since yesterday. He didn’t want to face anyone now, he didn’t want to deal with any more drama. Oh dear God, please, my life now’s drama enough.

‘Somewhere,’ was his cold reply. Sehun looked at him with furrowed brows. That wasn’t really a legitimate answer.

‘Luhan, I’m serious,’ Sehun’s voice was cold and somehow, it sent shivers down his spine. Is Sehun really like this? Why am I noticing this just now?

Maybe because their relationship was going down the drain. It was ridiculous how a day can change their relationship that instant. But everything already happened – there was no turning back. If he couldn’t afford to break up with Sehun, then at least he needed the time being for himself. He needed to think, too.

‘Someone needs me right now and I don’t think I can bear not to help,’ Luhan said. He was never the type to neglect his responsibility as a friend – even though he really didn’t need to. Those responsibilities were assigned to him by himself – they weren’t mandatory. But still, the thought of a friend in need couldn’t go unnoticed by him. Given his kind heart, he is always bound to help.

‘Who? What kind of person is that that you’re willing to pack your stuffs and leave? How long does that person need you?’ again, Sehun’s voice was like thunder – it was annoying, loud, and cold.

‘It doesn’t matter if a person needs me for how long, as long as I still am of help, I’ll be gone as long as I want to,’ he stated, trying to at least be as cold as Sehun’s voice. But he was trembling – he doubted if he did.

‘Doesn’t it occur to you that I also need you here?’ now his voice changed into a blatant plea to Luhan’s ears. That voice always made him give in. But Katherine is on the verge of an emotional breakdown – he couldn’t ignore her as well.

‘Really now, Sehun?’ he asked. He didn’t know where he got his courage to ask from, but he’ll keep it until it is needed.

‘What do you mean? Of course I need you here, Luhan, I’m your boyfriend and you are mine,’ somehow, it felt scary when he heard that word. It felt like Sehun was putting a leash around his neck and forcing him to obey like a stupid dog – which he isn’t. He had a mind of his own and he could decide for anything he wants to.

He faced Sehun, who had his arms crossed over his chest like a strict supervisor or even a professor who caught his student cheating.

‘I’ll be back as soon as possible, Sehun. Katherine needs me there right now and you wouldn’t understand. Now please, move out of my way,’ he said, with the tiniest glare he could make in attempt to somehow threaten Sehun. The lad bowed down and sighed, ‘are you breaking up with me?’

His eyes widened, his heartbeat raced. Was he? He didn’t know the answer since he’s never thought of breaking up with Sehun. Not in a million years. But since the question was already asked, he might as well answer.

‘I don’t know.’

‘What do you mean you don’t know? Are you leaving me because of what I said yesterday? Look, I’m sorry, okay? Please don’t leave,’ Sehun said, more of commanded. Was he really sorry? It didn’t sound like it.

‘Katherine really needs me, Sehun, please don’t be selfish,’ his voice was turning softer and softer. Sehun looked at him like he was a madman of some sort, ‘selfish? Aren’t you the one being selfish? You’re leaving me because of something stupid I said and for a girl you barely know?’ Sehun’s voice was raised, and it made Luhan’s blood boil. Something stupid he said? Some girl he barely knows? Sehun has stepped his limit and Luhan wouldn’t forget that soon.

‘Katherine isn’t someone I barely know, Sehun,’ he said with gritted teeth, ‘and no, I am not the one who is being selfish.’ He took a deep breath in, and then exhaled.

‘The something stupid thing you said actually is stupid. But that only made me realize that this, Sehun,’ he said pointing from Sehun to himself, ‘is stupid as well. And don’t you dare speak ill of Katherine. You don’t know what she’s going through and you don’t know hell about how she’s feeling right now. So if you’re done telling me equally stupid things as your attitude right now, then please, let me go.’

Sehun dropped his head down. He didn’t mean to go overboard on this topic. But seeing Luhan like that only made him think otherwise.

‘I’m sorry, Luhan. Please, come back as soon as possible,’ saying that, he left Luhan inside their room with a confused look in his eyes. Luhan stood there, his eyes watery from the stinging sensation it has been producing, and his heart pounding against his chest. He was relieved but at the same time, disappointed that the only reaction he got from Sehun really didn’t mean much. It was like Sehun didn’t care if left or not, and it made him feel that their relationship really is shallow.


Suho decided that he should leave Jongdae to think. It wasn’t like he wanted to sit in his house all day knowing that his friend probably was on the brink of sanity.

Strolling down the dimmed streets of Manila, Suho wandered from one place to another, in hopes of clearing his mind off his friend’s cold shoulder. He wasn’t affected because of how Jongdae was treating him differently, but because he knew Jongdae well enough to know that he probably really was having a bad time at the moment. Suho just didn’t want to add burden to what he was already feeling.

He had called Chanyeol and Xiumin to let them know what had happened, and the both of them agreed it was best to keep quiet about it. In case they really didn’t find Katherine, no one should ever mutter a word about her. Suho deemed it was best for Jongdae so that if ever, he could move on with his life.

Suho’s thoughts were broken when the bright colorful lights of the Roxas Boulevard suddenly lit up. The light stands of the road were stained with bright colors and for a moment, Suho stopped to let the view sink in. By that time, Jongdae must have been sulking for the whole day inside their room. Suho felt sad – it’s his first time seeing Jongdae act like that.

Suho had momentarily forgotten the view at the Roxas Boulevard since he was preoccupied by work that he hasn’t had the time to tour around anymore. But seeing that it was probably useless if he stayed at home waiting for his friend to come out of his room, he was thankful he had the idea of heading out.

While he was walking, though, he felt his head turn towards the direction of the other road. His favorite restaurant was there, and it’s been a while since he last ate there so he might as well make the most of his trip.

Upon entering the restaurant, his eyes automatically set on the menu board just on top of the counter. Taking a few glances here and there, he was about to order when his eyes caught something from the left side of the place. Someone almost too familiar was sitting in front of a back side of a woman who was almost too familiar as well.

Oh dear God, no. His eyes were as wide as saucers and he stood there like a log.

Could it be him?


-KRIS-

Oh God, just kill me already. He had been on the edge of his patience now that Andrea had started talking. He admits – one of the reasons he broke up with her is that he couldn’t handle sometimes. And with the headaches that his work gave him, the last thing he ever wanted was to hear stupid stories of how she spent her day, or how she enjoyed shopping. Thinking now, he wasn’t even sure why he courted her. Oh, that’s right. It’s because of their dad’s agreement. But screw that.

‘And then Jongdae! Oh my god, Jongdae! You do remember him, don’t you, Kris?’ she asked. He thanked the heavens that this woman’s mouth had something interesting to say.

‘Yes, of course. How could I forget him? He once was my best friend after all,’ he said, with disdain in his voice. She smiled happily before continuing, ‘he’s asked my help for her fiancé’s ring! You should’ve seen it, it was beautiful,’ she said in amusement. Kris’ brows furrowed, ‘fiancé?’

She took a sip of her wine, ‘yeah. I forgot the name though. Was it Katherine or Katrina? He just calls her Kat in front of me.’

Something inside his chest started to pound and it took him all his strength not to slam his fist on the table. So they’re getting married, huh?

‘Oh really? He hasn’t asked me to be his best man,’ he joked, but if he could just flip the table around, he would have. Andrea laughed, ‘I don’t think he knows you’re here yet, Kris. Why don’t you give him a call?’

Seeing that a door opened, he quickly took the chance, ‘oh, right. Do you have his number with you?’ She smiled, ‘sure. He is my client after all. Here. I heard they’re staying with Suho for the meantime,’ He copied the number from her phone and smiled smugly, ‘thanks, Andi.’ She’s given more than expected.

‘No problem. I haven’t met her yet so I’m really excited for their wedding! Omo! I’m sure she said yes,’ she squealed lightly like a fan girl and to the men inside the restaurant, it was cute. But to Kris, it was annoying. He tried his best not to roll his eyes but he doubted if he could so without further ado, he stood up and said, ‘well, it’s nice meeting you, Andi. Everything’s already paid, so I’ll be going now. I have some business to attend to.’ He fired an insulting smile and she involuntarily gaped at him. This is not the date that she expected.

‘But-‘ she tried to say, but he was already across the room and out the door with a smirk on his face.


-KATHERINE-

It was dark outside, and she was tired. She hasn’t eaten for a day and her baby was probably hungry too. She didn’t want to starve the baby to death so she decided it was best to at least go to a nearby store and buy some food. Though with the little money she had, she doubted if she could buy anything good for the baby.

When she was almost across the street to a convenient store, her phone rang. She jumped up a bit. She was that sensitive nowadays.

‘Hello?’

 ‘Sweetie, where are you? I’m in Manila now,’ Luhan said as he looked through streets after streets while riding a jeepney, as if Katherine would magically be there somewhere.

She looked at her watch. It was nearly ten-thirty in the evening. How the hell did Luhan get himself there? But instead of feeling curious or suspicious, she felt relieved. At least Luhan was there somewhere near her – finding her.


-JONGDAE-

He woke up with a loud bang on the door. He couldn’t quite see what was around him, but he still stood up. That’s when he realized that the lights were all closed. Must’ve slept the whole day. Knowing that his head hurt like hell and that he had blurry sight, Katherine still hasn’t returned.

And for a moment there, he thought all of it was just a dream.

‘Jongdae? Open up!’ Suho banged again, and this time, louder.

He opened the door up, totally unfazed that his friend was practically yelling like it was the last day of his life.

‘Wh-‘

‘Jongdae, you better find Katherine now. I’m telling you,’ Suho pulled him out of the room and pushed him to go down the stairs. Still annoyed about the whole scenario and about him being half-awake, he tried to hit Suho, ‘what the hell, Suho-‘

‘You better get your out of this house and into the streets or I don’t know what’ll happen to her, Jongdae!’ Suho panicked. Jongdae’s eyes widened. Suho, the composed businessman was turning into a madman right before his eyes.

‘What the hell’s happening, Suho?’

‘Kris, he, he-‘ Suho caught his breath, and while he did, Jongdae widened his eyes.

‘Kris what?’

‘He’s here, Jongdae. I saw him having dinner with Andrea. He must’ve known by now,’ Suho said as he panted. Jongdae’s heart skipped a beat. Oh no.

Without another of Suho’s warning, he dashed out the door and drove away.

Oh no. Dear God, please, no.


Day twenty-six, done :)

OMG I am SO SORRY for not updating for three(?) days :( I found it hard writing this chapter so it took me that long to formulate this one. As you can see, or read, it's really crappy :'(

And now I'm running a fever T^T But anyway, I'll try to update again really reeeeaaaalllly soon but I need to rest now. I'm so sorry guys huhuhuhu T^T

Thoughts and comments are welcomed :(

Stay tuned, yes? ♥