Day Fourteen

A Month of Kim Jongdae

The three of them studied her for the time being.

Kris was contemplating whether to call Jongdae or not. He didn’t like the thought. He didn’t like it at all but then, he had no other choice.

She was unapproachable the whole day. She seemed out of herself, as Luhan would say, and Kris could only agree.

It was already around 12 am and Luhan was still there. He was was laying his head on Sehun’s thigh as the latter patted his head once in a while. Luhan looked dazed – obviously displeased with the situation.


-LUHAN-

Luhan sighed once in a while and Sehun would look at him every time he did.

‘Hannie, what’s wrong? Sehun asked him and it brought him back to reality.

‘Hm? Oh, nothing,’ he replied.  Sehun nudged him to sit back up so he did. Sehun took his hand and ran his thumb across it.

‘Stop worrying, she’ll be alright. The doctor said it’s only temporary, right?’ Sehun asked him and it made him feel bad for making his boyfriend worry. He nodded his head and looked at Katherine who was still staring into space.

‘She’s like a sister I never had, Sehunnie. It’s sad when I see her like that,’ Luhan said weakly. He felt Sehun pull him closer.

‘And it’s sad when I see you like that, Luhan. So please stop worrying. We’ll think of something,’ Sehun assured and he felt relieved to have him by his side.


‘Luhan,’ Kris called. The two of them looked back. Kris looked like he was draining himself for hours now.

Which he did, actually.

‘What do we do now, Kris?’ Luhan asked and Kris sat beside them.

‘I.. really don’t know,’ Kris said. Kris looked at Katherine and he sighed. How he wished he could have prevented this. But now that they were in that situation, he didn’t have much choice.

‘I think.. we should call Jongdae,’ Kris said in defeat.

His nightmare will personify.

Luhan stood up, got his phone from his pocket and dialed the familiar number. He waited for a moment before hearing the other line ring. The other line quickly answered.

‘Jongdae,’ Luhan said and it immediately felt weird. He hasn’t been saying that name for a while now but it still felt somewhat comforting for him to hear his old friend’s voice.

‘Luhan?’ the other line asked. Kris heard it and he groaned in annoyance as Sehun sat down beside him.

‘Jongdae, we’re at the hospital. I’m with.. Katherine,’ he whispered.


-JONGDAE-

‘What?’ he asked Luhan as his breath hitched.

‘She’s.. the doctor said she’s having temporary memory impairment.’

Jongdae gulped, not again, he thought.

‘I’ll be right there,’ he replied before ending the call.

Damn you, Kris Wu.


When Jongdae arrived, he immediately ran to the emergency area and asked for Katherine. Upon learning her room number, he hurriedly went there.

314. He entered and saw her on the bed, staring off to nowhere. His heart ached as he saw how pale and tired she looked like.

He felt weak. But then he saw Kris beside her bed. The frustration built up inside of him again and he swore he could’ve killed Kris at the moment, if only two of his friends and Katherine weren’t there.

‘Jongdae,’ Luhan called as he stood up, obviously nervous as to how he would react.

‘Luhan, Sehun,’ Jongdae greeted with sadness in his voice. He couldn’t hide the fact that he missed them.

Kris stood up as well, looking sternly at Jongdae as if he was seeing someone he obviously didn’t want to see. And yes, he obviously didn’t want to see Jongdae. Not now, not ever. But it was for Katherine, so screw everything else.

Jongdae approached Kris, slowly. Luhan could feel the hatred radiating from Jongdae, but he didn’t wish to interfere.

‘Kris,’ Jongdae said, contempt evident in the way he said it.

‘Jongdae,’ Kris replied as he looked down on his old friend.

Jongdae could feel himself tear up as mixed emotions started to build up. He was about to curse Kris when he darted his eyes on the person on the bed.


-JONGDAE-

She looked awfully pale, and she grew thinner than she was before. He immediately forgot about the person he hated that was standing in front of him and sat down beside her.

He held her hand and kissed the back of it. She looked at him and her eyes seemed to widen in recognition.

‘Kat, hey, baby,’ he said as he sniffed his tears of both anger and sadness away. She looked at him and he could see her gaze soften. That’s my girl.

‘How are you, baby?’ He asked sweetly. It made Luhan tear up as well as he saw Katherine somehow relax under Jongdae’s touch. Kris could only watch as he couldn’t really do anything.

She didn’t reply. It pained him that she couldn’t remember him for now, but still, he was more than glad to be able to hold her again.

He let a tear escape he eye as he kissed her hand, obviously yearning for her to do the same.

But it was enough, for now.

‘It’s okay, baby, everything’s going to be alright,’ he said as he looked at her in the eye.


Kris could only watch. He couldn’t move. He couldn’t do anything.

The envy for his friend grew in his heart and it made him close his eyes and breathe deeply.

Jongdae had spent three years with her, while he had spent now even three weeks and now, fate had brought her and Jongdae together.

Why was life being so unfair to him?

He stormed out of the room and left Luhan and Sehun together with the reunited couple.

Kris ran to his car and sat there, dazed. He let his own tears fall as the frustration built up in his heart.

He was so close yet so, so far.

What did he ever do to receive this of a life?


Chapter fourteen, done :)

Second update of the day! How was it? :>

Thoughts and comments are welcomed ^__^

Stay tuned, yes? ♥