Day Thirty-one (Epilogue)

A Month of Kim Jongdae

Author's Note first hihi:

So.. /awkwardly exits the room to give you time to react

I love you readers ♥

Bye!

Thank you for everyone who stayed with me throughout this story ♥ And for those who are new subbies, I hope you enjoy and not hate me forever

P.S. Do you guys have any requests for what pairing (can be EXO/OC too) I should do in my next oneshot story? I wanna make one but then I don't know what pairing I should use.. and better yet, give me a prompt too and genre! I'd love that ♥ As you can observe, my stories are pretty much leaning on the angst so... I want to try to discover somethine else this time ^^

Thank you all!

I love you all!

#kkaebsong


"Well you see her when you fall asleep
But never to touch and never to keep
Cause you loved her too much and you dived too deep

Well you only need the light when it's burning low
Only miss the sun when it starts to snow
Only know you love her when you let her go

Only know you've been high when you're feeling low
Only hate the road when you're missing home
Only know you love her when you let her go."


“I do not know any one by the name of Kim Jongdae.”

It was in that moment she regretted ever meeting Kim Jongdae. Though the circumstances forbid, she still stood up to what she did – she still admitted to her fault. She regretted meeting Jongdae. Maybe if they didn’t meet, things wouldn’t be like this.. things certainly wouldn’t end like this.

And no, denying about being related to Jongdae wasn’t part of that regret.

In fact, she was more than happy she’s leading the suspicion away from Jongdae.


-KATHERINE-

She stood firm, though with shaking hands, in front of Kris. It was now or never. Maybe if she just ran away and left the two guys, then she’ll still make it out.

But she wasn’t like that. She wasn’t a coward – though she was scared. She wasn’t a traitor – though she doubted. And she wasn’t a fool – though she believed.

She believed  in everything that came from her Jongdae’s mouth.

That’s why when he said “I’m sorry,” she believed him.

‘Forgive me, baby, okay?’ she swallowed her everything and faced Kris. She won’t let them get hurt by Kris. Not anymore.

‘Yes, I do, Kris,’ she said as she approached Kris. She was shaking as hell but the glint in her eyes told Kris otherwise. It was like she was braver than ever.

Get him worked up, Katherine, she kept on repeating until she was sure she’ll succeed in what she was planning to do.

‘You know why, Kris? Because I love him.’

It was the truth, yes, she loves him so much she’s willing to do anything to get him out of trouble.

Turning back to the only man he’s ever loved, she whispered, ‘a month was all I need to realize that I’d be willing to do anything for you, Jongdae.’

 And the rest followed. 


Questions flooded everyone’s mind – why would she deny Jongdae in front of everyone else when it was obvious that Jongdae knew her?

‘Are you sure, miss Oh?’

Miss. She should’ve been Mrs. Kim by now.

‘Yes.’

‘Then explain why mister Kim shouted your name when he was being held by the police.’

She smirked – how stupid could these people be? She was admitting to the crime already, why would they still probe further?

‘I killed his friend, of course he would shout my name out of rage.’

The crowd silenced. She had a point.

‘Very well,’ the judge interrupted.


-JONGDAE-

His heart was pounding as he took steps closer and closer to her.

‘B-baby..’ he called, hands making their way to touch hers. She looked at him with cold eyes as she stayed quiet. He shook his head, ‘baby, please, don’t do this.’

They were inside a private room, sure, no one would hear them, right?

Her mask slowly crumbles as she saw Jongdae crying in front of her. If there was something that would hurt her more than anything, it was seeing her Jongdae hurt. And sadly, this time, she was responsible for those tears.

‘Jongdae..’ she slowly held his hand back as they stare at each other with unspoken longing.

Jongdae made the first initiative to bring their lips together when she pulled away.

‘No,’ she called, as she pushed Jongdae away from her.

‘But Kat, please-‘

‘Don’t, Jongdae, don’t,’ she said. Jongdae stared at her with pain in his eyes.

He doesn’t understand why she’s doing this, he doesn’t understand why she’s hurting him like this.

‘Why?’ was his breathless question. He was tired of crying. Now, he needed an explanation.

She bowed her head and sobbed softly, and that’s when he realized that she too, was in pain.

‘Why would you push me away and deny that you know me? Huh, Katherine? Why? I thought we were in this together-‘

‘You won’t understand, Jongdae, just please, leave.’

Jongdae sheds a tear as he heard the most painful word she could ever say. Leave.

‘Why..’

‘Because I don’t love you anymore.’

He stares at her with wide, blurry eyes. Tears started to pool out of his eyes uncontrollably as his hands around hers loosened.

‘W-what?’

‘I s-said.. I don’t love you anymore.’

And there they were again. The most painful words he could ever hear.

He knew the scars won’t ever heal. He knew the pain would never go away. But he also knew that she was drifting away from him and he couldn’t do anything about it.

‘Leave, Jongdae. Just leave,’ she takes his hand away from hers and he’s left there frozen in his seat. Jongdae bowed his head, cried out loud, and looked at her with red eyes.

He saw her gulp and saw her eyes glitter with unshed tears. But he couldn’t see what was behind those once loving eyes that grew cold. What has he ever done? Was it because he was too late?

‘Katherine, please, I beg you,’ he holds onto the last string of hope he has and begged her to make him understand.

Leave. I don’t want to see you again,’ she said with shaky voice, and her almost cracking voice doesn’t go unnoticed by him.

She stood up, as he felt his heart drop down.

She made her way to the door, and knocked.

‘K-Katherine, please, baby, please don’t do this-‘

The door opens and she steps out. She halted for a while, ‘goodbye, mister Kim.’

That was the last thing he ever heard besides the slamming of the door. Now he’s left alone inside the cold cell as he stared off to nowhere and probably off to his own death.


-KATHERINE-

As soon as she stepped inside her cell, she dropped down to her knees harshly as she fisted her head.

‘Aahh…’ she screams, that kind of scream where no sound comes out.

‘I’m so so sorry.. Jongdae.. I’m s-so s-sorry,’ she cried out loud as she laid herself down on the cold floor.

Now they were completely apart. The closure the both of them needed was done.

She would never have the chance to explain why she did that. He would never have the chance to know. She took off her ring.. she denied knowing Jongdae for his sake. If they found out they were engaged, he’ll be in trouble too. She couldn’t risk that. And if she did tell him, he’ll definitely fight for her. Heck, he’ll even admit to killing Kris himself if that would mean they could still be together.

And that wasn’t what she wanted.

Safe Jongdae was better than everything else. She accepted long ago – his freedom above her own.

If he could make himself love again, that would be better. But for now, keeping him away from her was the best thing she could do.

She cried out loud, ‘I’m s-so..’

And there she sobbed softly, knowing that she pushed away the only person who could ever understand her.


-JONGDAE-

He made his way to his car.

Defeated. Confused. Hurt.

It hurt him to see her walk out of his life like that.

He slid into his seat. He stared at his left hand which held that same silver band that would’ve been the perfect match with hers.

He let out a pained sigh. He let out his tears.

Was this the end? Were they over?

Why? Just.. why?

And then he stared off to space. Slid the key through the ignition lock. Heaved a heavy sigh.

Maybe this is the end.

Maybe this is for the better.

Maybe she just.. doesn’t love him anymore.

Roared the car to life. Made his way out the lot.

Took off his silver band.


END