Day Nineteen

A Month of Kim Jongdae

‘Hello dear, how are you?’ Luhan asked as he entered Katherine’s room. Setting all his insecurities and worries aside, he decided to spend the day with Katherine – with Jongdae’s consent of course. He had asked Jongdae if he could spend the day with Katherine since Jongdae had to fix their out-of-the-country trip. The latter couldn’t be more thankful now that Luhan was there to keep an eye on Katherine while he fixed some matters.

Luhan set the food on the table, and smiled at Katherine. She smiled back and showed the content in her eyes. Luhan sighed. How he had grown to love this young lady to bits. He had known from the moment that he entered Katherine’s room that he will grow to be a lovely lady and he was right.

‘Hey, Luhan,’ she beamed. ‘Hey, sweetie,’ he replied. How could he make her day – her last ­memorable with him?

‘Uh, I bought you some cupcakes, sweetie,’ he said as he started to unpack the sweets. He sniffed although he didn’t really know why. Something told him that this was going to be their last meeting.

‘You got a cold, Luhan?’ she asked worriedly while Luhan just chuckled.

‘No, dear, I’m fine,’ he smiled lovingly at her and sat next to her. The bed sunk down a little in accommodating both of their weights.

‘Doctors said I’ll be released today,’ she happily announced to which he smiled.

Good.

‘Well that’s great, Kitty Kat,’


-LUHAN-

‘So, how are you and Sehun?’ she asked out of the blue. Oh this little sneaker.

‘Uhm, we’re fine, I guess. How are you and Jongdae?’ he asked in return. He saw her blush immediately at the backfire of her own question. How cute.

‘Well, uh, we’re good too, I guess,’ she fiddled with her fingers shyly as if she hadn’t talked about Jongdae to anyone else. Moreover, as if she was still new to the relationship.

‘What do you mean ‘I guess’? You’ve been together for three years now,’ he stated as he looked at Katherine for answers. She shifted her sight to a different direction.

‘Well, he’s been a little too overprotective these past days,’ she started, ‘and it makes me feel a little uncomfortable,’ she finished off honestly. Luhan could only look at her. He has a reason, dear.

‘I don’t know, I mean, I get it that he’s probably mad at.. Kris, but Kris isn’t here so I just hope he’d, you know, let loose,’ she added. Oh how Luhan wished that that was the case they were in. True, Kris wasn’t there, but he knew that Kris would appear – soon enough.

‘Uh, I think he just doesn’t want to lose you again, Kat,’

‘He won’t, Luhan, I promised him he won’t,’ she said as she sighed, as if the statement she just said was becoming more and more unbelievable every time she said it.

You don’t know what Kris can do, Kat, his inner self stated. He was fighting with himself – should he tell her what he presumed Kris would do, or would he just leave it at that? For one, he didn’t want to worry her. The one thing that brought her to the hospital was stress. What more would she have to go through if she discovered what Luhan had heard yesterday?

She’d probably just kill herself.

But then, he knew he should trust Jongdae. Jongdae was a smart man. He’d probably get the hint that Kris might be coming up with something. He just had to hold onto that thought – that thought that Jongdae would protect Katherine. He knew that if Jongdae failed to do so before, he would make sure he doesn’t now. Not now when she’s just recovered.

Luhan just had to have faith.

But faith is subjective.  And right now, his feelings were messed up. So how could he possibly have faith in something, rather, someone who he wasn’t sure would even have the chance to protect her?

What the hell are you thinking, Luhan? He was getting irritated with himself. But he couldn’t help it. He knew something was up and he knew that he had to warn her somehow – if that would be the last thing he’d ever do for her.

‘Kat,’ he called all of a sudden. He had to it now.

‘Hm?’


Night time came and Luhan wondered, where the hell is Jongdae?

Katherine and Luhan had been talking for the whole day now and as much as he wanted to keep on talking to her, he knew he shouldn’t get more attached than he is. It’ll just be harder when both Jongdae and Katherine leaves tomorrow.

The door opened and revealed the man Luhan was looking for. He couldn’t possibly have told her himself. Thank God you’re here.

‘Hey, baby,’ Jongdae sounded off and it made Katherine’s ears perk up.

‘Hey.. what’s up?’ she asked. Luhan gulped. Now he knew that the hard part was just yet to come.

‘Baby, listen to me, okay?’ Jongdae sat down on the side of her bed, making her listen to him as if she wasn’t.

‘What’s going on? Why do I feel like there’s something I don’t know?’ she asked curiously. She never liked it when Jongdae was hiding something from her. He did before, and she was sure that if he was hiding something from her again this time, things would go bad again.

‘Baby, we’re going.. tomorrow,’ he stated while he looked at Luhan. She did too, but Luhan just bowed his head.

‘Yeah, baby, I know,’ she said. Jongdae held her hand and smiled weakly. ‘Baby, you’re acting weird,’ she added.

‘Kat, we’re leaving for the Philippines.. tomorrow,’ he finished and looked her in the eyes. Hers widened and something inside her chest started to tighten.

‘Wh- huh?’ she could only ask. She looked at Luhan and still, his head was bowed.

‘Listen to Jongdae, Katherine,’ Luhan said sternly.

Katherine. She was never called Katherine by Luhan. It was always Kat or sweetie, but never Katherine. For some reasons, he sounded like her mother.

‘Babe, I’m going to take you with me, away from here,’ Jongdae said as she just stared at him. ‘We’re going to live there. I know a place we could stay at, and I’ll be there for you every step of the way, baby, listen to me, okay?’

She didn’t respond. Instead, she looked at Luhan who was now tearing up.

‘Luhan..’ she said. Luhan looked at her with the saddest eyes she had ever seen. And somehow, it broke her heart.

‘You should go, Kat. You need to go,’ he said.

Need. Should. Why was he using such urgent terms now? She couldn’t do anything but furrow her brows. Things were just confusing at the moment.

‘Baby, we need to get away from here. I need to take you away from Kris,’ Jongdae said. Now that  was what this was all about. Kris. Now she wasn’t surer enough that Jongdae really disliked that man – that man that once took care of her. And it seemed that Luhan wasn’t pleased of him as well.

Okay, she thought, okay, fine. But what she thought of the most now was Luhan. He had been by her side for the past two weeks of loneliness and he was her crying shoulder. She would miss him to bits – and even the smaller bits that would remain.

‘Luhan,’ she called and held his hand, ‘how- I’m going to miss you.’ Luhan smiled weakly and pulled her into an embrace. That’s my girl. Good thing that she agreed to it faster than they thought. She must be scared of Kris as well.

Jongdae breathed a sigh of relief before smiling. When the two pulled out from the embrace, Jongdae smiled sincerely at Luhan. He couldn’t be thankful enough to him for taking care of Katherine when he couldn’t.

‘Thank you, Luhan,’ Jongdae said, and he meant it. Luhan nodded, trying to hold back what tears were threatening to produce, ‘You’re welcome.’

Katherine frowned knowing that this would be the last night she’s ever going to spend with Luhan. Luhan couldn’t possibly visit her in the Philippines now, could he? The young man frowned as well. The sister he’s never had would be taken away from him tomorrow. And he didn’t even have a proper farewell party for her. Farewell party? Luhan chuckled at the foolish thought – he would never risk Katherine’s chance to escape Kris. Throwing a party might as well be throwing Katherine away to Kris. For now, he was thankful that the said man hasn’t appeared and made a reckless act. He couldn’t think of the consequence if Kris did.

Luhan stood up. He held her hand for the last time and kissed the back of it. She couldn’t help but tear up. She had just gained a new friend but she was going to leave him tomorrow.

‘I’m going to miss you too, Kitty Kat,’ he chuckled and kissed the top of her head, ‘I’ll be going now.’

Jongdae nodded understandingly at Luhan. Luhan tapped Jongdae’s shoulder, ‘take care of her,’ before he turned for the door. Once he did, he knew he would never get to see her again. He didn’t even plan on saying goodbye to them at the airport tomorrow. He wouldn’t want to make a scene there by being a sobbing mess.

Before his body left the room, he heard her call, ‘Luhan!’

He thought before turning back to her, contemplating whether he should just take her with him instead, and smiled, ‘yes, sweetie?’

Oh how he was going to miss calling her that.

With tears in her eyes, she said, ‘I love you!’ and bit her bottom lip from quivering. He did too, bit the inner sobbing mess inside his soul for being such a crybaby.

He smiled weakly, finally letting a tear drop from his eyes,

‘I love you too, sweetie,’ before completely heading out.


Chapter nineteen, done :)

So.. aww, this will be the last day of Luhan with Katherine :( I immediately felt sad after writing this. But then farewells are meant to be said. :( I hope you don't mind me using the Philippines here. But if you do, you can give a suggestion (right now) of what country to use. :) I really won't mind, in fact I'd appreciate it ^^

How was it? Thoughts and comments are welcomed! ^__^

Stay tuned, yes? ♥