Day Thirteen

A Month of Kim Jongdae

It was morning and Kris was up early. He yawned before sitting up, rubbing his eyes. The sun had not risen yet and he groaned in annoyance as he couldn’t bring back his sleep.

He stood up to go to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. He made his way out of his room, switched on the light of the hallway, and walked past Katherine’s room. He stared at the door, contemplating whether or not he should sneak in like he normally does and check up on her.

He touched the knob before slowly twisting it open.

The lights were on, and it left Kris wondering. Where is she? He looked at the clock. 5:07 am. Normally, she should’ve been sleeping on her bed and he should’ve been watching her sleep.

But she wasn’t on the bed, and he didn’t have anybody to watch. Luhan comes by at around 8 am.

‘Kat? Katherine?’, he quietly asked. No one answered. It was surprisingly quiet and he thought if that was something good or not.

‘Kat-‘

He heard something in the bathroom. He stopped for a moment before he heard it again.

He heard a loud thud and it sent his nerves unsettling with one another. His heart skipped a beat, as if it knew that something was wrong. He hurriedly went to the bathroom and touched the knob before he heard someone coughing.

‘Katherine?!’

He didn’t hear a response. Instead, he heard someone wheezing. He barged in and thanked God the door wasn’t locked.

Katherine was curled up in a ball on the floor and coughing uncontrollably.

‘Katherine!’ he sat down and pulled her closer. She was shivering.


-KATHERINE-

She was shivering and she couldn’t breathe. As soon as she felt a warm being beside her, she immediately held onto it.. or him.

‘Katherine, are you alright? What happened?’ the voice asked, sounding really concerned. With slightly blurry eyes, she looked at him, ‘Who are you?’


-KRIS-

‘Who are you?’

His world stopped. Had he heard right?

‘Katherine? It’s me, Kris-‘

‘I can’t breathe..’ her voice trailed to a whisper which almost sent Kris to the peak of his sanity.

His eyes widened and before he knew it, she was gasping for air, making that wheezing sound earlier.

‘Damn it,’ he hissed quietly before lifting her up.


He took her to the nearest open hospital.

He was left alone at the area next to the emergency area. He sat there, pulling his hands up and burying his face in it.

She seriously needs to stop making him worry.

It drove him crazy – the sight of her hurt. Whether it was because of her talking about Jongdae with Luhan, or even when it was about seeing her hurt because of him. He hated it.

His thoughts were broken when a nurse approached her.

‘You may see her now,’ the nurse said. He stood up before following her.

She was sleeping when he saw her. Her face looked pale, but not as pale as earlier. She looked tired – obviously looked tired and he thought she must have been going through a lot of stress.

He sat down beside her, and held her hand. He ran his thumb through her hand softly and interlocked their fingers together. I’m sorry, he thought. She furrowed her brows and squirmed a bit. I’m so sorry.


He woke up feeling the vibration of his phone. 10:23 am. He must’ve fallen asleep. He looked at her first before answering the call.

‘Hello?’

‘Kris? Where are you? Your house in not locked and you’re not here. Thank goodness a thief hasn’t entered here.’ His voice sounded worried and Kris felt bad for not telling him earlier.

‘We’re at the hospital, Luhan,’ he replied while rubbing his eyes. He heard Luhan gasp.

‘Hospital? What are you doing there? Is she alright? What happened?!’ Luhan threw him question by question and he sighed.

‘I say we’re in the hospital and you ask me how she is? What if I was the one who got hurt? You didn’t even ask first,’ Kris feigned hurt. He heard Luhan scoff on the other line.

‘Kris,’ Luhan breathed, ‘we both know that she won’t even go with you to the hospital if ever you got hurt so WHY THE HELL WOULD SHE BE THERE NOW?!’ Luhan sounded angry. Kris had to pry the phone off his ear because of Luhan’s voice.

‘You better have a good explanation when I get there, Wu Fan,’ Luhan said before ending the call.

Oh crap.


‘What the hell happened?!’ Luhan shouted in a whisper, trying to avoid any attention from the other patients. Sehun ran after him, catching his breath. Kris thought Luhan must’ve been in a hurry to go there and mentally face-palmed himself as he knew that he had a lot of explaining to do.

‘Luhan, I don’t know, okay? I just saw her on the bathroom floor-‘

‘What?! You saw her on the bathroom floor?! What the hell was she doing there?!’ Luhan asked as his already-big eyes widened. Sehun had to caress his back, ‘Breathe, Luhan.’

Luhan did. He breathed heavily before looking at Kris who immediately felt uncomfortable with his steady gaze.

‘What happened?’

Kris thought for a moment.

‘I found her on the floor and she was shaking, saying she couldn’t breathe.’

All three of them looked at her sleeping figure and Luhan felt worried about her. Luhan approached her and brushed the hair off her face.

‘Poor girl, what did she ever do to receive the ?’ Luhan glared at Kris warningly. Kris only shrugged his shoulders. Luhan rolled his eyes before sitting next to her bed.

She slowly opened her eyes, as if she felt the presences around her. Her eyes widened slowly.

‘Who are you?’ she asked. Luhan withdrew his hand from her head and looked at Kris curiously. Kris looked as shocked as the two of them.

‘Kris?’ Luhan asked, as if asking Kris what the hell she was saying. Kris looked back at him before shaking his head.

Right then, a doctor appeared, ‘Ah, I see we have friends of Ms. Katherine here. But where’s Jongdae?’ he asked with a small smile on his old face. Kris looked at Luhan with a confused face.

‘He’s not here.. yet, doctor,’ Kris said coolly. The doctor nodded his head before looking at Katherine’s board as if her condition was already normal.

‘I see she took barbiturates again, hmm,’ he hummed as he chuckled, ‘this girl really doesn’t learn,’ he finished his statement.

‘What do you mean, doctor?’ Luhan asked. The doctor looked at him, ‘Oh you don’t know?’

Luhan shook his head slightly.

‘She’s having temporary memory impairment,’ the doctor said as he looked at Katherine, ‘sadly, she doesn’t remember any of you at the moment.’

Kris looked shocked as he froze. Memory impairment?

‘That’s why I’m asking why Jongdae’s not here,’ the doctor sounded confused, ‘normally when she’s having an attack, he would be here with her.’

Luhan looked at Kris as if asking what they will do at the moment.

‘For some reason, she doesn’t react violently to him which makes it easier to give her medication,’ the doctor said before turning to leave. He took a second glance before he left, ‘you might want to give her some space.’

Kris looked at Luhan. Luhan looked at Katherine. Katherine stared into space.

‘Luhan,’ Kris called. Luhan looked back at Kris.

‘Call Jongdae.’


Chapter thirteen, done :)

Okay, first of all, I AM SO SORRY FOR DISAPPEARING! :(

But now that final exams are over and I am FREE AT LAST for the semestral break, you can expect daily updates :)

I hope you didn't forget about me or my story :(

So, how was it? THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS are most welcomed ^__^

Stay tuned, yes? ♥