Day Fifteen

A Month of Kim Jongdae

The next day, after Kris had let his frustration out, he decided to return to the hospital.

Screw everything.

He was not mad, not at Katherine, nor at Luhan. Was he mad at Jongdae? He should – right? But for the meantime, he knew that Jongdae was the only person who could make Katherine feel at ease. He would settle on that thought. That thought alone.


He heard faint laughter from the room. He wanted to peek in but then a hand grabbed him back. He looked startled as he turned to look at the one who prevented him from entering the room.

‘Luhan, what the hell-‘

‘Kris, can you please.. just, don’t enter the room,’ Luhan sounded pained, which made Kris both curious and worried.


-LUHAN-

He had been there in the hospital early. He wanted to be there for Kat since he figured it must be saddening to be there alone.

He entered the room and met with Katherine’s smiling eyes. His sight darted towards the being beside her – Jongdae.

Oh, he realized,  Jongdae’s here. He smiled as he watched her laugh once again, that kind of laugh he hadn’t heard before – not even when he was having a talk with her.


‘What are you talking about, Luhan?’ Kris asked curiously, obviously wondering why Luhan was acting weird now.

When Luhan didn’t answer, Kris tried to pry his arm from Luhan’s hand.

‘Let me in-‘

‘Can’t you see, Kris?’ Luhan spoke in such a demanding tone that it made Kris stop in his tracks. Luhan had his head bowed down as his voice radiated sadness.. and pain?

‘Luhan what the hell are you talking about?’

‘Can’t you see that she’s happy now?’ Luhan asked, his head still bowed down. Kris stopped for a moment and all he could hear was the faint laughter from the room.

‘She’s been laughing like that since this morning and have you ever wondered why?’ Luhan asked in the same tone.


-KRIS-

He listened and listened. The room gave off a lighter feeling now and even he can’t deny it. Her voice sounded so heavenly in his ears and he wanted to join her inside but then..

he couldn’t.

Jongdae. Jongdae, that bastard. The thought ran into his mind over and over.

‘Jongdae’s been here for less than a day yet he’s managed to make her feel happy, Kris.’ Luhan’s words stung his heart and the resounding noise of that certain name brought him back to the bitter reality that he couldn’t possibly make the girl he loved feel as happy as she was with Jongdae.

Jongdae. Jongdae, you bastard.


He couldn’t move as Luhan’s gaze was set on him. It was like Luhan made it clear to him what the situation was.

As if it wasn’t clear enough.

His hand was still on the knob, threatening to open it, but Luhan said, ‘let her be, Kris. At least for now, now that she can’t remember anything, let her be,’ Luhan said wisely. He dropped his hold and looked at Luhan.


-LUHAN-

He hated this feeling most – having to hurt one of his friends. He had a lot of friends but this one, this one in front on him grew so close to his heart that it hurt thrice when he knew he was the one who hurt Kris.

But he couldn’t hurt Katherine more. She’s been through stress for the past two weeks and now she was on the verge of depression.

Hearing her laugh like that made it impossible for Luhan to slap the reality back to her face. And it made it impossible to tell Kris that ‘everything’s going to be alright’ when he knew they weren’t.

But at least, even for now, he saw Katherine happy. Even if it meant hurting one, he decided to make her happy.


Luhan didn’t know what to say to Kris anymore, especially now that even he had no choice at the moment.

‘I’m sorry, Kris,’ was all he could say. Kris limped away, his mind drifting off to one too many places at the same time. He didn’t know where to go now, especially when the only place he wanted to be in was already occupied with someone else.

Luhan could only watch Kris’ disappearing figure.

I’m so sorry, Kris, he could only imagine. He couldn’t imagine how hurt Kris must be feeling right now that he was practically shoved away from the only place he wanted to be in.


-KRIS-

That laughter was the only thing his mind wanted him to hear.

That laughter which she let out so easily now that she was with Jongdae.

How could Jongdae make her feel that way? Why can’t he? He was defeated, once again, like how he was for the past three years.

How could he ever replace Jongdae in her heart when even now that she was having temporary memory impairment, she still could find bliss in Jongdae’s presence?

He limped away, his thoughts running wild. He couldn’t think straight anymore.

Jongdae. Jongdae, you bastard. His fist tightened and his jaw became rigid in pure contempt.

If he couldn’t do anything now, he’d find a way later.


-JONGDAE-

It has been two weeks since he last saw her and it felt like everything changed. Even if she didn’t remember him now, seeing her happy was enough for him. Knowing that he was the one responsible for her laughter was even twice as fulfilling.

‘Baby, I’ll be here, okay?’ he asked lovingly as he kissed the back of her hand. Although she didn’t reply with words, she managed to smile at him lovingly, as if she recognized him in every way.

‘I love you so much,’ he whispered as he kissed her hand again.


Chapter fifteen, done :)

Third update of the day :) I hope you're still liking it so far. :)

Thoughts and comments are welcomed ^__^

Will update again tomorrow :)

Stay tuned, yes? ♥