Day Twenty-three

A Month of Kim Jongdae

The next morning, she was the one who woke up earlier than the other. He must’ve been drunk anyway, so she figured that he would wake up later.

She held the phone close to her ear. When the other line picked up, her eyes began to produce tears on their own. She wanted to cry, but she couldn’t. She didn’t want to worry anyone – especially not the person who she was calling.

‘Hello?’

She smiled unconsciously.

‘Luhan, it’s me.’


-LUHAN-

His heart skipped a beat as he smiled widely, ‘sweetie! How are you?’ he couldn’t help but beam at the phone. It has only been three day since he last saw her, but he already missed her to bits. Thankfully, Kris was laying low and Luhan assumed that he was letting the fact that Katherine leaving with Jongdae sink in.

So far, Kris hasn’t talked to anyone and Luhan thought best not to disturb the lad at the moment.

‘I’m fine, Luhan. I miss you,’ she whispered. Her voice brought him back from his thoughts and he immediately frowned. She sounded off.

‘Sweetie, are you okay? Why do you sound like you’re about to cry?’


-KATHERINE-

Maybe that’s because she WAS about to cry.

‘No, I don’t, Luhan. Don’t be silly,’ she sniffed back her sob and it was enough for Luhan to sense that something was wrong.

‘Don’t lie to me, young lady. You can’t hide anything from me,’ Luhan boasted, but even so, the concern was still evident in his voice. ‘So what’s wrong?’

I’m not even sure what’s right anymore.

‘I think Jongdae’s.. cheating on me, Luhan.’


-LUHAN-

Tell me I heard wrong.

‘What?’ was all he could mutter. Not that he believed her, but the way she said it was with much resolution than all he had heard from her. She’s kidding, right?

‘Someone named Andrea.. he met up with her yesterday. He was gone the whole day, Luhan. He didn’t even let me know.’

What was he supposed to say? He knew a certain Andrea, but he didn’t think that the she that Katherine was talking about was the same Andrea back in their college years. After all, there are a lot of Andreas in the world, right?

‘You’re just thinking too much, sweetie. He’d never cheat on you and you know that.’


-KATHERINE-

Yes, she knew, but she just wasn’t sure anymore.

‘Do you know her too, Luhan? Andrea? Does it ring a bell?’ she asked, hoping he would say no. If he said yes, then she would’ve felt insecure all at once. That’ll mean that she really had something with Jongdae.. or towards Jongdae, even. That’s just the thought that would somehow ease all of the other ones. That the feeling wasn’t mutual. If there was really any.

‘Yeah, I know an Andrea, Kat. Kris, too. And I’m assuming the great Chanyeol told you about her?’

Oh crap. So she was ‘know-able’. Ugh, I don’t even know where I’m going with this.

‘So, did they, you know, have something together.. Luhan?’ she was afraid to ask. Or maybe just afraid to know the answer. Either way, she wouldn’t have liked anything about that Andrea. Her guts told her so.

‘No, of course not, silly! Andrea’s been liking on Kris, since we graduated. At least that’s what I know,’ Luhan sounded believable. And he was someone she could trust, right?

Right. Trust Luhan.

‘Thanks.. Luhan. I miss you, though,’ she whispered. She didn’t want to wake Jongdae up. But what the hell, it was Luhan on the other line.

‘I love you!’ she said in her normal voice. Jongdae squirmed a bit behind her and she mentally patted her back.

‘I love you too, sweetie. Call me if you need anything, okay? I miss you! Bye!’


‘Who was that, Kat?’ Jongdae asked as he rubbed his eyes cutely. No, you don’t.

‘No one, just an old friend,’ she said as she got up from bed and made her way to the bathroom. Jongdae looked at her as he sat up, ‘up early?’

‘Yeah, why not, right?’ she tried to sound normal, but she couldn’t help her voice to sound cold. She should be cold.

‘Come back to bed, Kat. Let’s snuggle,’ he said as he fired her what probably was the most adorable smile she’s ever seen. But she didn’t want to give in. No, her chest hurt too much  yesterday that she didn’t want to forgive Jongdae too soon.

Not that the lad knew he had something to be sorry for.

‘Where were you yesterday, Jongdae?’ again, her voice sounded so cold and serious that Jongdae flinched a bit. His mind went into panic mode as he tried to think of a good excuse to save his from a cold day from his girlfriend.

‘I uh- I went out,’ he said as he rubbed the back of his neck. He heard her scoff from the bathroom.

‘Obviously,’ she said. He stood up and ran to her.

‘Baby, I’m sorry if I didn’t tell you, please forgive me, yes?’ he back hugged her and snuggled his face to her hair and closed his eyes. Please, Kat.

‘Who were you with?’

He didn’t know what to answer. What should he tell her? Something like ‘I was with a girl’ couldn’t possibly cut it, right?

‘Uh, just an old friend, Kat,’ he tried to laugh it off but failed miserably.

‘Is there something I should be worried about, Jongdae?’ she started. She could feel her heart beat twice its beating as she added, ‘because if there is, I.. I don’t know what I’ll do,’ she ended. Tears started to form in her eyes and she didn’t know if she could hold them back in. He turned her to face him, flashing her a loving but weak smile.

‘No, Kat, there’s nothing you should be worried about. Fine, I went out with an old friend and we had the whole day spent together. But that doesn’t mean anything to me. There was a favor she once asked of me before and she wanted to repay me back yesterday so she asked me to meet up with her. But that’s all there is to that, Kat. I love you,’ he said as he inched his face towards her. She instinctively withdrew before their lips met.

Now that hurt him.

‘Are you mad at me, baby?’ he whispered as she pulled out from his hold. Never had he seen her jealous. He never intended to make her jealous anyway.

‘I don’t know,’ was her reply before she made her way out of their room. Jongdae stood there, looking at the closed door in front of him and sighed. What have I done?


-LUHAN-

What was she thinking? He laughed by himself at the foolish thought. Jongdae would never cheat on you, sweetie. He smiled at her cute voice. He had never heard anyone’s jealous voice before and now that he did, he found it cute.

‘What are you thinking about, Luhan?’ Sehun asked as he looked at him with his own smile. He beamed at Sehun, ‘nothing, Hunnie.’

‘Ai, tell me what you’re thinking about, Luhan, I want to know,’ Sehun pouted as he held Luhan’s hand.

‘Fine. Katherine called and told me that she thinks Jongdae’s cheating on her with Andi,’ he chuckled, clearly amused by the fact. Sehun raised a brow, ‘Andi? Andrea?’

Luhan nodded his head like a dog, ‘yes, Andrea Kwon.’

‘Kris’ girlfriend?’ Sehun asked almost too loudly. Luhan’s eyes widened as he reached out for Sehun’s mouth, ‘be quiet, Hunnie!’ Good thing they were outside the warehouse. ‘And she’s Kris’ ex, not girlfriend.’

‘Sorry. Remind me why they broke up again?’ Sehun asked.

‘Kris’ work,’ Luhan replied. Sehun nodded, ‘oh, yeah, right. Why’s she in the Philippines?’

‘I don’t know, maybe she’s working there,’ Luhan said as he tugged on Sehun’s arm, 'now let’s go before the rest sees us here. I don’t want to see Baekhyun’s annoying face,’ he said as he scrunched his nose. Sehun chuckled, ‘fine, let’s go.’


-KRIS-

Philippines?


It was night time and the couple, together with Suho was eating dinner on the table. Suho could practically feel the awkward air seeping through his nose. He looked at Jongdae, then at Katherine. Jongdae was watching Katherine eat while Katherine ate quietly. Suho tried to call Jongdae’s attention by stepping on his foot but his legs were too short for him to reach so he just let it go and sighed.

‘I’m done. Thank you for dinner, Suho,’ Katherine smiled weakly at Suho before standing up to leave. Jongdae could only follow her by his stare. That’s when Suho threw a piece of grape at Jongdae’s head.

‘Follow her, idiot,’ Suho muttered as his friend looked at him in confusion. Jongdae understood and bowed, ‘thanks, Suho, good night.’ Suho smiled at him before he disappeared.

When Jongdae reached their room, he breathed in deeply before knocking. He heard no reply and he knew he wouldn't hear a reply soon so he just decided to enter the room.

She was already on the bed, her blanket covering her small figure.

‘Kat?’ he asked softly. Knowing that she probably still didn’t want to talk to him, he made his move and lied down beside her. He felt her stiffen and it made him frown a bit.

He didn’t like the feeling when she avoided him.

‘Kat, I’m sorry,’ he said as he pulled her closer. She didn’t try to object, though, and for a moment he thought that she wasn’t mad at him anymore. Until he heard her sniff.

‘Baby?’ worry took over him and in a blink of an eye, the blanket that was covering her was now on her side. She was burying her face on her pillow, trying her best not to look at him.

‘Baby, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to make you jealous-‘

‘That’s not the point, Jongdae!’ she finally spoke up. And it hurt him enough to see her tear-stained face. He made her cry.

‘Kat-‘

‘I was worried when you didn’t pick up any of my calls! And Chanyeol said that Andrea had a thing for you! You’re so insensitive, Jongdae! How-‘ she hit his chest, ‘could-‘ and again, ‘you-‘ and again, ‘not care about what I feel?’ her voice trailed to a whisper and her hands softened beside Jongdae’s body.

She.. was worried?

Reality struck Jongdae hard. Not only was she jealous, but she was worried too. And remembering that she was kidnapped for more than two weeks, he knew the feeling of worrying very well. He knew that it didn’t feel good. Not one bit.

‘I’m sorry, Kat. I didn’t mean to make you worry,’ he mentally slapped himself thinking of how insensitive he was. He didn’t realize that she would’ve been worried, too, if he went missing all of a sudden.

‘You didn’t even answer one of my calls..’ she sniffed and buried her face into the pillow once more.

He couldn’t take it. He pulled her closer and kissed her hair, ‘I’m sorry..’ She softened a bit and she stopped sniffing. He turned her body so she was facing him instead and pulled her close to his chest, ‘I’m so sorry, Kat. It won’t happen again, I promise.’ She didn’t reply but she wrapped her slim arm around his body and just snuggled closer.

‘I love you, Kat, and you know that,’ he caressed her hair and kissed her forehead. He heard her light breaths and chuckled lightly, ‘how could you sleep on me like that?’ He was talking more to himself now than to her. He tightened his embrace around her and stayed like that for a while.

‘I won’t do it again, Kat, I’m sorry,’ he said in soft whispers.


Chapter twenty-three, done :)

How was it? Thoughts and comments are welcomed! ^^ Any suggestions, too? :)

Will update again later so please do..

Stay tuned, yes? ♥