Chapter 2

I'm a Chaser
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Well, my lie about being sick definitely didn’t work. But, for the record, I wasn’t expecting her to buy my story. So, I was onto my last resort; be on my best behavior or my mom will do something to get back at me. While lost in my thoughts, Mrs. Kim decided to take the time and threw a question at me.

“Soojin, do you have a boyfriend?” I peer up at her and shake my head, “No, not at this moment, Mrs. Kim.” I knew what she was doing.

Mrs. Kim claps at the pleasant news. “Dongmin doesn’t have one either! Isn’t that great?”

I weakly laughed and took a sip from my tea.

The conversations went on about them asking about me, school, and Mrs. Kim desperately trying to find things in common between her mute son and I. Dong Min hasn’t said a word to me but continued to stare. I was starting to become uncomfortable under his gaze so while our moms were talking I decided to get some words out of him.

“Dongmin, how old are you?” I took another sip from my cup.

He gulped nervously. “Uh - 17 years old.”

I nod. “We’re both third years then.” I gave him a little smile and saw the blush inch up his face. He can’t handle girls? I decided to to pass the time. I had to keep myself entertained and make the most out of this ‘date’.

I leaned my elbows onto the table and rested my chin on my hands. “You really don’t have a girlfriend?”

He starts to stutter. “N-not right n-now.”

“Would you like one?”

He stares at me and his face is completely red at this point. He looked at his mom who was still talking to mine. “What are you trying to s-say?”

I stared at him attentively. This was too easy. “What do you think about me?” The way he reacted was certainly comical.

“Uh - S-Soojin, you’re really pretty and-“ Before he can finish, I decided I was getting bored again.

“Thanks, I need another tea.” I cut him off and he looked down in embarrassment. He sounded like all of my other blind dates. Is there all there was to me? I was just pretty? Sometimes they add rich to it but still, I’m not only rich and pretty. I’m one of the top students in high school and they only have that to say? I’m not gonna lie, it did put me in a bad mood.

For the rest of lunch, we refrain from saying another word to each other. I figured he knew he had said something wrong but he wasn’t sure what. He was lost in deep thought while I just stared out the window. My mom and his mom still haven’t caught onto the awkwardness surrounding us and continued to chatter away. I hope this lunch date ends soon for his sake. I looked over at the boy and it looked like he would collapse at any moment from the discomfort he was feeling.

When it was time to go, I couldn’t wait to fly out of there. We shook hands and I gave the boy a smile, feeling guilty for putting him through that. He weakly smiled back and his mom spoke again. “Let’s do this again.” I smiled but I felt disappointed. Let’s not. My mom quickly agreed, totally not understanding the situation and I could only sigh.

On the way out, the host stopped me and handed me a piece of paper. “Here, Miss Soojin.”

“What is it?” My mom peered over my shoulder but I folded the paper again so she couldn’t see it. If it’s a request for a blind date, she’ll force me to go. I quickly placed it in my bag without looking at it.

“Thanks.” I bowed to the host and left with my mom.

***

I lied on top of my bed, that lunch date took a lot out of me. I sat up and looked at the uniform hanging on the back of my bedroom door. First day of school - at least I don’t have to go on blind dates tomorrow. School has never been more useful, I smiled to myself.

Then, I remembered the note given to me earlier today and searched for it in my bag. When I unfolded it - 

 I like you, let’s be friends. Here’s my number 010-xxx-xxxx. – Jung Daehyun.

“What! Yeah right.” I crumpled it and threw it somewhere near the waste basket. “What’s he planning?”

 

 

 

I was staring at myself in the mirror when my phone went off.

“Hello?”

“Hey! Hurry up, I’m outside!”

“Eunji, do you have to be so loud in the morning?” I scrunched my face.

“Just hurry! My legs are tired.” She started to whine and I quickly hung up and grabbed my bag off my bed. I run down the stairs and my mom yells from the kitchen.

“What about breakfast?”

“It’s fine, mom. Bye!”

“Remember to come home immediately after school, we have to go over some things about the company!”

“Okay!” I wasn’t exactly excited but I would prefer that o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter