Chapter 12

I'm a Chaser
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: Sorry, it's going to be a long chapter...so enjoy the journey LOL

 

Trying to talk to Daehyun or finding him alone was harder than that stupid math exam I just failed. He must be having so much fun with Eunhee that the thought of seeing me never crossed his mind and the number of notes in my locker had slowly dwindled.

Their relationship has been going strong and graduation was approaching in a few months –  

And nope, I have not made any progress.

I just needed to stop thinking about Daehyun for a bit. So when I finished the company lesson – that I did not pay attention to, I went to my room and looked around for something to do. Anything that would take my mind off of Daehyun. Seeing that my room was a mess, I rushed right to work to clean.

While cleaning around my waste basket, guess what I found.

The first note Daehyun had ever given to me with him offering his number. I sighed loudly, so much for not thinking about him. But then an idea popped in my head. “Where’s my phone?”

 

 

 

“Can you look any happier?” Daehyun opened the car door for me. It was the weekend and I had called to ask him if he wanted to come out to my favorite dessert shop with me again. And thankfully, he said yes.

Just for today. I wanted him all to myself.

“Why don’t you go sit down?” He pointed at a two-person table and I did what I was told. Like the first time, he returned with the mint ice cream and another cheesecake in his hand. And it made my heart flutter to see him remember my favorite flavor after all this time.

“So your favorite is the cheesecake here?” I took my ice cream cup from him so he could sit down.

He nodded. “Just like how mint ice cream is yours.” I smiled and plopped a spoonful into my mouth when he started speaking again. “Oh, have you gotten better in math?”

I sigh at the question. “Nothing is going to save me.” My grades have gone up slightly but the progress was too slow for my taste.

“Don’t say that. You’re smart Soojin, I know you’ll get it.”

I chuckled. “Haven’t you heard? I’m only pretty.” That’s how people described me anyways. Rich and pretty. I didn’t need anything else because to them, these two things that I had would get me far enough in this world.

“That’s because they don’t know you.”

I couldn’t stop smiling hearing that from him. It was so satisfying. The compliment had meant more than he thought. He had said something that I only heard my mom and Eunji say.

“So how are your grades?” I asked him and I knew Daehyun was a lot smarter than I had credited him for.

I had long noticed that when he was thinking, he would bite the inside of his cheek. Of course something like that wouldn't be missed. All the times of watching him in class had made me aware of some of his habits.

“Good, I guess. Enough for when I decide to take over my family’s company.”

“You actually want to take over the pharmaceutical company?”

He nodded and took another bite from his cheesecake. “Are you surprised?” He laughed and I found the laughter to be so pleasant to the ears - finding myself wanting to hear more of it. “But yes, I do want to take over.”

 “Are you ready?”

He his lips. Another habit of his. Whenever he was nervous, that’s what he did. “Somewhat. I can’t believe we’re graduating soon.”

I laughed. “Me neither. At least when you get out of school, you’ll take over. I have to go to school for another few years to take over the firm.”

“Hmm, I can totally see you as a lawyer.” He playfully narrowed his eyes at me. “You know, Soojin.” I looked up and waited for him to continue. “I’m really glad we became friends.”

Friends. Right, that’s what we were. We weren’t anything more and he didn’t stop there. “It’s so weird how well we get along.” He chuckled.

“What’s so strange about it?” I asked and laughed.

“Well, our friendship doesn’t feel like the friendship I have with Youngjae.” He answered thoughtfully. “By the way, has Himchan contacted you?”

What a weird question. I haven’t seen or heard from Himchan ever since I rejected him months ago and chose Daehyun. “No, but my mom keeps bringing him up.” I said while eating another spoonful.

“Have you thought of calling him back?”

I look at him and saw his tongue peek out to his lips. “My mom would probably call him before I could.” I laughed, trying to cover up my uneasiness. Was he trying to get me to call him? “Why?”

“If I told you not to, would you still?” He looked up at me unsure.

I was taken aback by his request.

I opened my mouth to say something, but I didn’t know what to say. “I don’t understand…” I carefully said.

But, he didn’t have a chance to explain. His phone suddenly goes off and there it was. That smile. These never ending pricks are starting to add up. But, what I didn’t expect was that the smile that seemed to never go away, in fact, disappeared.

“It’s okay.” He sounded worried.

Did something happen to Eunhee?

“I’ll be there. Just wait for me.” He got up and without another word to me, he sprinted out of the shop. I slumped against my chair and stared blankly ahead of me. Almost like getting a smack to the face. That’s what it felt like.

 

 

 

“Soojin, are you not hungry?” My mom looked up from her plate to watch me.

I didn’t have any appetite.

“Soojin, are you on a diet?” My dad looked up worried as well. I looked up to meet his eyes and gave him a questioning look. “Because you’re already beautiful the way you are.” He grinned and I laughed at him.

“Why are you saying things like that?” My mom gave him a weird look.

“I heard when girls are around this age, they get worried about their image and I don’t want our Soojin to worry about such things.” Why was my old man so damn lovable? I couldn’t help but bite back a smile.

“Dad, anyone who I like should feel like he is the luckiest man on earth, right?”

“Of course! He should be so grateful that our wonderful Soojin likes him!” My dad readily agreed.

“And he should feel so proud, right?” I straightened up in my seat.

“Yeah! And he better be worshipping the ground that you walk on!” My dad full-heartedly agreed again. “Wait, Soojin, do you have someone you like?”

I slumped in my seat. “No, I don’t.” I lied. My dad didn’t seem convinced but luckily, my phone went off at the same moment.

It was Youngjae. Why was he calling now?

“What’s up?”

All I heard was Daehyun’s name and the words ‘beat up’ and that’s all it took for me to jump to my feet and run out the door, ignoring my parents calling my name.

 

 

 

 

On the way there, Youngjae continued to explain to me what had happened over the phone and upon arriving at the mansion, I suddenly felt awkward. It would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter