Chapter 3

I'm a Chaser
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I kept my eyes on the clock and counted down.

3…2…1.  The bell that signaled the end of the day went off and I gathered my things without a moment of hesitation.

“See you tomorrow, Soojin.” Youngjae waved bye.

I looked up and waved back at the boy. I found myself able to get along with my new seatmate. It’s funny how well it turned out simply because it wasn’t a blind date. I smiled as I met up with Eunji outside the classroom to leave together.

We were outside in the courtyard when Eunji started to ask me about Youngjae. “Potential boyfriend?” She eyed me teasingly.

I shook my head, “Potential friend.” I smiled at her.

She looked at me, shocked. “You’re not going to replace me, are you?”

“Maybe. You thought that ‘enemy of girls everywhere’ was good-looking.” I .

She stopped in her track and stomped. “Hey!”

I started to laugh before pulling her along. “I was kidding and I have to quickly get home.” I tried to calm her down. But, why did I even think for second that I could leave in peace. Instead of moving forward, I felt myself stumbling backwards. Someone was yanking me back by my backpack and I spun around to give them a piece of my mind. I gave the perpetrator a disgruntled face. “Daehyun, what do you want?”

“Didn’t I tell you to wait for me after school?”

I looked at him in disbelief. “And didn’t I make it clear that I had no desire to?” I arched my brow at him.

“I just need someone to show me around school.” He stuffed his hands into his pockets.

“I can’t. I have somewhere to be. And why does it have to be me? I’m sure there’s a line of people who are willing to show you around.” I turned around but I couldn’t move when his hand grabbed onto my backpack again.

“Whoa, not so fast.” He smirked at me. “Because if I’m with you, I know I wouldn’t attack you.” He his lips.

I glowered, I don’t know if I should be offended or relieved by his remark.

“I’m not into the whole ‘chasing’ thing.” I continued.

I scrunched my face. “What are you talking about now?” Was he referring to the fact that since I’m not interested in him, he wouldn’t try anything?

“Why don’t you just help him?” Eunji nudged me.

I gaped at her. “Hey, are you my friend or his?”

“I wouldn’t mind being friends with her.” Daehyun winked at Eunji.

“Forget it.” There was no way I’m letting him get close to her. Eunji was too innocent and too nice for him to be messing around with her.

“Then, show me around.” He folded his arms in front of his chest.

I stomped the ground and huffed. “Fine!” I turned around and left a confused Eunji behind as she stared after us.

Daehyun rushes to catch up to me. “Why don’t you ask Youngjae to show you around?” I asked without looking at him.

“He said he had some important appointment… what a good friend he is.” Daehyun said under his breath. As we were walking back through the school, the people that were still there kept sending me glares. Great, I didn’t know it was possible, but they hate me more now. I tried my best to ignore it and show Daehyun around but, he had to say something.

“You’re not very much liked around here.” He blankly stated. And I thought I was the one without the filter.

“Gee, I didn’t know. Thanks, genius.” I sarcastically answered.

He put his hands up in defense. “Sorry, I was about to ask why.”

“I don’t know and I don’t really care.” I waved him off and he only nodded. I wasn’t someone to share such things so candidly.

“If you want, I can be your friend.” He bent forward while walking so he can meet me at eye level. Why does he keep bringing that up?

“No, but thanks.” I brush off his offer. He doesn’t even know that he’s the reason why that hatred for me had grew. I rolled my eyes at his cluelessness. 

After we reached the entrance again, I decided that I needed to end this before it gets too far. “Look, I did this as a favor so from now on, and I’m being serious here...leave me alone.” I didn’t wait for an answer and walked away. But I felt the collar on my uniform get pulled back. I yank his hand off. “Stop pulling me around, I’m not an animal.”

After I finished talking, I heard some textbooks fall and noticed that Daehyun’s hand that I flung off of me had hit the pile of books that some passing girl was holding. Daehyun immediately bends down and helps her pick it up. I witnessed the whole thing, Daehyun acting like a nice guy and the girl blushing from having a handsome and ‘nice’ guy help her. I decided that she was fine and turned around on my heels. “I’m leaving.”

“Hey! I’m not done talking to you!” He yelled but couldn't follow after me further due to the fact he was stuck helping the female student.

I didn’t look back and continued my way home.

“Here you are, I’m sorry.” He and the girl both stand up and she thanked him while he returned a smile upon her polite behavior. “I’ll see you around.” He leaves the girl and walks out of the school. “Why does she keep rejecting my friendship offer?” He ruffled his hair in frustration. “Everyone would happily agree, so what’s wrong with her?” He shook his palms out in front of him.

 

 

 

“Hey! I’m telling you nothing happened!” I yelled into my phone. Eunji was convinced that something happened between Daehyun and I.

“Quit lying. You guys were by yourselves and you want me to believe nothing happened?”

I released a breath in exasperation. “Yes! I showed him around school and he kept saying something about being friends.” I tried to get her to believe.

“I’m your best friend and you can’t even tell me the truth?”

“Why are you so stubborn! You know me for how long?” I asked her in disbelief.

“Soojin, come down this instant, it’s the third time I had to call for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter