Chapter 9

I'm a Chaser
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Soojin, are you home?” My mom yelled from the kitchen.

I walked lifelessly to the couch and let myself fall down into the cushions. That conversation had the life out of me. “Ugh.” I grabbed my head and face planted into the couch.

“What’s wrong? Himchan didn’t call you back?”

That was far from the real reason why I was in such a mess. Before a relationship could even start I already felt my heart break into pieces. I sincerely apologize to all the couples I had ridiculed after seeing them cry over a breakup...my current situation is really what’s pathetic. Is this what they call a one-sided love? So this is what it feels like and boy, does it feel like hell.

“Mom, I’m not interested in Himchan.” My voice muffled because I didn’t have the energy to lift my face from the cushion.

“He was interested in you.” She pointed out. “Why is no man good enough for you? Himchan had his whole life planned and he is to take over his family’s company by the end of this year! If you choose him, your life is set!”

“Mom. Please.” I didn’t want to hear it. This is not the right time for her to give me a lecture on how to choose my partners. I sat up and blankly stared at her. “I’m going to bed.” I groan while getting onto my feet.

“Soojin, it’s only 4 in the evening!”

But, that didn’t stop me. I don’t care what time it is. If I want to go to bed, then I’m going to bed. I walked up the stairs and ignored her calls.

I didn’t know where to go from here. Daehyun doesn’t like me, he possibly likes Eunhee. And Eunhee probably likes him…so basically I lost before anything had begun. I sighed again and rolled my face into my pillow. I was pulled out from my misery from the knocks on the bedroom door.

“Soojin, are you okay?” A soft voice came through when the door creaked open.

“I’m fine, mom.”

“You’re in bed at 4…there is definitely something wrong with you.” She came over and sat down on my bed. “Talk to me.” She hummed and ran her hand through my hair.

She was the last person I wanted to talk about Daehyun to. She would probably freak out and get the marriage contract ready if I did. “Nothing, mom, I’m just tired.” That seems to be my go-to excuse recently.

“Do you think I’m stupid? You would have complained about at least one thing but you came home so quiet. So, what’s wrong?”

I could tell she was rolling her eyes at this point. 

I sat up to look at her. “Mom, there isn’t anything going on.” I tried to convince her.

“Fine, if you don’t want to tell me then I won’t coerce you -“

“Mom -“ I whined.

“- But, just know that whatever is bothering you, you shouldn’t let it get to you. You’re not one to wallow in your own self-pity.”

“Thanks, mom.” I gave her a little smile so she wouldn’t worry anymore.

“You’re welcome and tomorrow, be home early. There are company lessons and you should really check out the firm.” She smiled. “By the way, I want my always-complaining Soojin back.”

I smiled and watched her close the door behind her. “That’s right…” I whispered to myself. I’m not Kang Soojin if I give up so easily! I can’t give up when Eunhee hasn’t even won the war. It was only getting started.

 

 

 

“You look different.” Youngjae eyed me at my locker. Eunji stood on the side quietly and continued to stare at me.

I smiled. “What do you mean?”

Youngjae covered his eyes. “Whoa, so bright.” He squinted his eyes playfully. “But, in all seriousness - what I mean… is that you’re the total opposite from yesterday.”

Of course. Youngjae. I have a new mission in mind and I am so prepared. “Today…is just so beautiful. Don’t you feel it too?” I sent a smile towards them.

They both shook their heads slowly. “Did something good happen?”

“No, but something is definitely happening.” I left them behind so they could figure out my puzzling words. I was looking for a particular person and I wanted to see him now. I slowed in my steps when I saw him standing by his locker. My smile faltered slightly seeing another presence there.

Kim Eunhee.

I cleared my throat and decided to not back down. “Daehyun.” He looked up and I stood beside him. I made sure to also send a smile towards Eunhee, my rival. “Good morning, Eunhee.” She looked at me surprised but I turned back to my goal.

“You look different today.” Daehyun smil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter