Chapter 17

I'm a Chaser
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Take a seat.” Mrs. Jung patted the chair beside her.

I sat down and noticed Daehyun’s eyes on me. If I could snarl at him, I would but, I had to remind myself that right now isn’t the right time. And like anyone would, I sent a smile to the boy who had become a handsome young man…well, he had always been handsome.

“In the time I haven’t seen you, you have gotten even prettier.” Mrs. Jung complimented me.  “You must be tired from the long flight.”

“Not at all, Mrs. Jung.” I answered politely.

“She wanted to get on the plane right away, she was excited for work.” My mom said amusingly.

Mrs. Jung smiled. “Are you going to stop by the company later today?”

Daehyun who had been sitting like a stone in front of me, finally gave a reaction. “W-what? Did I miss something?”

“Oh! I forgot to tell you. Soojin will be taking care of the legal aspect of the company.” His mom answered nonchalantly.

He looked up in surprise. Guess no one told the CEO. But I have to admit, that surprised expression on him is priceless.

“She is?” Daehyun asked again, disbelief coating his words.

“Isn’t that great?” His mom asked cheerfully. “You and Soojin are friends and now you two can work together.”

Daehyun sat there, speechless.

To be honest, that isn’t really ideal but a job is a job. And it’s guaranteed that they will pay me nicely.

“We’ll have plenty of chances to catch up with each other now.” I added with a smile. Boy, if only my true thoughts could be seen. There wasn’t totally good intentions there, because I don’t plan to catch up with him but our parents couldn’t know that, right?

“That’s right!” His mom clapped her hands together. She is so oblivious to the past between us and it almost makes me laugh.

My mom looked down at her watch. “Oh! Soojin, Mrs. Jung and I have to go somewhere. You stay and talk some more, okay?” She gets up and Mrs. Jung follows suit. They didn’t even give me time to protest. “Oh and Soojin?”

I looked over my shoulder. Well, this is already starting off rough, what more is there?

“I’m taking your car, someone will come by to pick you up at the company.” Then, she looked over to Daehyun. “Do you mind driving Soojin over to the company?”

“No problem, Mrs. Kang.” He answered without taking his eyes off of me. I’m not gonna lie, the way he looked at me shook my strong front slightly.

“Thank you, Daehyun.” After that, she left waving. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse.

This was totally unexpected. I didn’t think this would happen or that we would be left alone so soon. And my fear of it being awkward came true. We sat there and continued to stare at each other. I took a deep breath and cleared my throat. “How have you been?”

He finally smiled but it didn’t seem like the ones from before, there was a change within him but I couldn’t tell what it was yet. “…I have been good.”

I nodded. Of course you have been, jerk. You took over the company at such a young age and all I heard is that it continues to improve. “That’s good to hear.” I answered with a fake smile.

“You know…” He began again. “I have always thought about what I would say when I saw you again….but, I don’t know anymore.” I felt myself stiffen at that mention. If I wasn’t wrong, he was going to talk about what happened six years ago and I, for sure, did not want to. “Soojin –“

“I want to make something clear.” I had to think of some way to stop him from bringing up our past. I dislike him but I didn’t want to feel anger towards my boss before my job had begun. “Since we’re going to be colleagues now, I think we should be professional.”

“What do you mean?”

“What I mean is that, from now on, I will be referring to you as Mr. Jung and you to me as Ms. Kang.” I stood up and grabbed my purse. “So Mr. Jung, should we head to your company now? I have things to take care of later.” I waited for him as he stood up and paid for the bill.

Without another word to each other, I followed him out to the car and took my place in the passenger seat. I kept my eyes out the windo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter