Chapter 21

I'm a Chaser
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I couldn’t look at Daehyun in the eyes after that. There were too many emotions and thoughts going through my mind and body that I was too preoccupied.

“Did something happen out there?” Eunji leaned over and whispered.

I turned my heads towards her and it took a second to register what she asked me. “No, nothing.” I forced a smile on my face. I don’t know if she believed me or not, but I just went back into staring into nothing.

“Everyone looks tired, how about we head back?” Youngjae offered and we all agreed.

“That’s fine, Jongup just got here to pick me up anyway.” Eunji got up onto her feet.

We all left the room one by one and before Daehyun would insist on taking me home, I walked up to Youngjae and nudged him. “Do you mind taking me back?” I smiled and he nodded his head.

“Sure.”

I didn’t even bother about getting mad at my mom for still not returning my car, that’s how badly I was confused with myself at the moment. I was too busy to complain. And let’s digest that for a moment. I, Kang Soojin, was so busy to complain or nag about something. That’s a big problem.

I waved bye and quickly walked with Youngjae. Most surprisingly, Daehyun didn’t object or anything, he headed to his car like nothing bothered him and that simple act, bothered me. How could he act like nothing happened? I decided to brush it off. It’ll only put more thoughts into my head.

 

 

 

“Soojin.”

I continued to stare and bite on my finger. I avoided Daehyun all week successfully somehow.

“Soojin.”

But, I dreaded the moment when he would burst into my office and start his whole bothersome behavior again.

“Soojin!”

“Huh?” I looked at Yongguk, wide eyed. “What is it?”

“I have been calling you and – “ He waved a hand in front of me. “ – Why are you so out of it?”

My eyes flickered towards the door and he followed my line of sight. “Are you worried about Mr. Jung?” I didn’t answer and he took it as confirmation. “He had been busy all week with meetings with other companies.” I nodded my head, so that was the reason. I stopped myself. Why did it matter? Isn’t this a good thing? He hasn’t bothered me with his ridiculous wants and I should be happy….but at the moment, I was anything but happy. I was more confused than anything. With my feelings and what I thought about Daehyun.

I thought I had everything under control but look at what happened. Just because he said a few words like that. It messed me up so quickly. A few moments with him was nothing like my relationships in America. My relationships never sent my stomach flipping or my heart beating fast and even if there were moments like that, they were rare. But it was every single time with Daehyun that I felt like that.

And I hate it.

Daehyun was supposed to be the past and my first love. How could I have not gotten over him?

“Soojin, I hate to interrupt you but we do have a case.”

I looked up to see him laughing at my behavior. “Sorry, what is it about?”

“Someone is blaming the drugs for producing worse complications to his health.” I nodded. “He’s coming here in 20 minutes.”

“What?” I blinked up in surprise.

“I’ve told you that this morning. But seeing how you are now, I figure you weren’t paying attention.”

“Sorry.” I sigh. “I promise to pay attention now.” I took the file from him and read it over.

I was finishing up the last paragraph when there were knocks on my door. “Come in.”

“Ms. Kang, someone is here for you.”

“You can let him in.” The secretary opened the door wider and the man walked in. “Please have a seat.” Yongguk stood up and motioned for the man to sit down and the secretary closed the door behind her. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Min. I’m Kang Soojin.” I shook his hand and sat back down. “So, Mr. Min, do you mind telling me what the reason behind the lawsuit is?”

 

 

 

Well, that was settled neatly. “People actually do that?” That was an amusing argument. The man insists on getting compensation for side effects that were clearly stated on the pill bottle.

“People will do anything for money.”

My ringing phone took my attention away. “Hey, Youngjae.”

“What’s your plan for tonight?”

“Go home.” I answered. I didn’t feel like doing anything at all.

“Oh, come on, today is a Friday night.”

“So?”

“Let’s go out for a drink.”

Normally that would be the last thing I would do but maybe that’s what I needed. A drink to distract me…. Alright, maybe a few will be needed. “Why not. Where are we meeting?” After getting the confirmation for the time and place, I shut off the phone. There was actually something to look forward to now. “Hey Yongguk, are you a drinker?”

“Huh?” He looked up in surprise. I know for a fact that if we’re meeting up, Daehyun is going to be there and I wanted my Daehyun-shield. “Sure?”

“Then come join me and my friends tonight.”

 

 

 

Yong Guk and I left after work and headed to the bar in downtown Seoul. I was going through a l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter