Chapter 16

I'm a Chaser
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I kept true to my words. Even Youngjae and Eunji couldn’t persuade me. I decided to skip out on graduation and scheduled the next flight out of the country. Yes, it was foolish to have a boy be the cause of this decision but, I am a kind of person that couldn’t turn a blind eye. I couldn’t stay around here anymore and this will give me the break I needed. No matter how dramatic it is.

Never in my life did I feel like such a strong dislike for anyone. Kang Soojin doesn’t hate. She dislikes. No one mattered enough for her to hate. And Daehyun was no exception. I passed my scholarship onto someone else, Kim Eunhee. Maybe it was the guilt or maybe because I wanted to apologize in Daehyun’s stead, but I gave it to her.

I looked around my room for the last time. It would be seven years before I come back…six years, if I’m lucky and when I do, I will be a different person. Someone much stronger and on track. I closed my bedroom door and head downstairs to my waiting parents.

 

 

 

Daehyun had his eyes trained on the entrance, he was looking for one person and he was hoping she would show up. After the incident, she avoided him like the plague, but who could blame her. Guilt was eating him up and for the past week or so, he continued to question himself. Why did he kiss her? She was a friend, wasn’t she? That night, he knew what had happened…he was drugged but he couldn’t totally blame his behavior on it. For sure, that night, he wanted to do that. He wanted to kiss Soojin, but why?

“Daehyun?”

He turned to his side and found his girlfriend looking at him. He forced a smile. “You’re here.” She nodded and Daehyun has started to notice something weird about Eunhee. He couldn’t put his finger on it but she was definitely withdrawn. Ever since they started dating he noticed it but he always pushed it aside. And ever since they started dating, he couldn’t ignore the looks people gave them.

Graduation carried on but Daehyun couldn’t focus. His mind kept wandering towards Soojin. How awful was he? He had a girlfriend but he was thinking about another girl. But, his lips tingled remembering their kiss and the way her skin felt under his touch. He shook his head.

He looked up and graduation had ended. Well, thanks to his thoughts, he couldn’t even remember one of the most important chapters of his life.

“Daehyun, I need to talk to you.” Youngjae appeared beside him and pulled him away.

“What’s wrong?”

“Soojin is at the airport right now.”

Daehyun’s heart beat quicker. He nodded and tried to smile. “She must hate me a lot, right?”

“Daehyun, do you like her?” Youngjae peered at his best friend.

“I –“ Daehyun looked away. He wasn’t sure about the answer. Youngjae sighed in response. “When I kissed her Youngjae…it felt so right.” Daehyun whispered it, because he didn’t want to say it. He didn’t want to admit it. “But, what can I do? I thought I liked Eunhee and looked how that turned out. I don’t know what this means.” Daehyun was confused.

“Soojin’s flight is leaving in one hour, you take the time to decide.”

Before Youngjae walked away, Daehyun grabbed onto his arm. “…What should I do?”

“Daehyun, I can’t tell you what to do. But, before it gets out of hand and too late, do something about it.” Youngjae pats his friend’s back and walks away. Daehyun’s attention drifted towards Eunhee who was rushing out into the hallway.

The person he likes wasn’t Eunhee and Daehyun knew what he had to do.

He followed after her and stopped in his tracks upon hearing her.

“Mom! I don’t want to do it anymore! I have the scholarship, there’s – “

“You will do what I tell you to do! Just a bit more and we will be debt free.”

“I don’t want to use Daehyun anymore.” Eunhee was starting to sob.

“What did you say?” Their heads snapped up at the voice. Daehyun walked out into the hallway and looked at Eunhee in disbelief. “This entire time, you used me?”

“Daehyun…listen.” Eunhee sobbed and took a step closer but Daehyun placed his hand up.

“I don’t want to hear it.” He laughed scornfully. “My mom was right, wasn’t she?” Eunhee bit her lip and slowly nodded. Daehyun ran his fingers through his hair. Was he that foolish? So foolish that he didn’t see it while the others did?

Eunhee’s mother laughed weakly. “Daehyun, you’re mistaken – “

“You should be ashamed of yourself. I may have been used but I wasn’t the only one. You and your husband made mistakes and you used your daughter to cover it up..” Daehyun left a speechless Mrs. Kim and turned to Eunhee. “I came here with a heavy heart to tell you that I couldn’t be with you because I realized where my feelings were. But, seeing that you didn’t like me to begin with, I don’t feel so bad anymore. Goodbye, Eunhee. I have somewhere to be.”

“Wait.” Eunhee called out and Daehyun turned around. “You figured it out, didn’t you?” Seeing that Daehyun didn’t know what she was talking about, she continued. “You realized your feelings for Soojin.”

Daehyun looked at her in surprise. “What?”

“I saw it…whenever we were together. The way you smiled when you were speaking about her.” Eunhee wiped away her tears and laughed. “I’m sorry and I hope everything works out for you.” She shooed him off. “I heard Youngjae earlier. You have a flight to stop.”

“Why are you – “

“I didn’t deserve it but Soojin gave me her scholarship. The least I can do is return the favor…go.” She sent him off with a smile and he ran. He quickly got into his car and raced to the airport.

If only he could make it in time.

 

 

 

“Call a lot.”

“Okay.”

“There’s this new thing now where we can see each other on screen.”

“It’s call video chat.”

“Yeah, use that a lot.”

“Okay.”

“Make sure to eat.”

“Okay.”

“And sleep.”

“Dad, I got it!” I tried to pull away from my dad’s embrace but it has proved to be a challenge.

“Honey. Let go.” My mom said through gritted teeth as she pulled her husband away.

“But, honey –“ My dad began to whine but stopped as soon as his wife gave him a look.

She reached out and pulled me into a hug. “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too, mom.”

My mom sniffled and patted my head. “Study well and come back soon.”

I nodded and grabbed my bags before heading through the gates. Of course I am going to study well. I am going to come back successful to make sure Daehyun regrets ever doing this to me. “Oh and mom?” My mom looked up. “Tell Eunji to stop crying, we couldn’t even talk on the phone since all I heard were her wails.”

My mom chuckled and sighed. “I’ll try but Eunji’s waterworks were always a struggle to handle.”

I laughed in response. I waved one last time before turning forward. I took a deep breath as I passed through. From here on out, it will be a new chapter for me.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter