Chapter 14

I'm a Chaser
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I didn’t know that when I opened my door today, Daehyun would be standing on the other side of it. I didn’t quite understand the next words that left his mouth either.

“Soojin, be my date for the thing tomorrow.” It didn’t seem like a question, in fact, it wasn’t. He was demanding me and he didn’t even understand the turmoil I was going through.

“Daehyun, that’s what a girlfriend is for.” I retorted. “Take advantage of it.” I go to close the door and Daehyun sticks half of his body inside, preventing me from doing so.

“That’s also what friends are for.”

I stared at him. Why was he acting so desperate? “Fine, now go home and rest.” His face broke into a grin and he happily waved. I closed the door and hit my head against it. What just happened?

 

 

 

Maybe it was because I wanted to look nice or maybe because Daehyun was the one that asked me but, I pretty much went all out. It was a charity event and I brought a long purple, one shoulder strap dress. My hair was curled and pinned to the side and I had on high heels that complimented my long legs.

It would have been nice if I actually went with a boyfriend.

But, that's never the case.

“Soojin! Are you ready?”

“Coming!” I walked down the stairs to meet my parents. The look on my father’s face made me roll my eyes on reflex. “Dad, stop it.”

“But, you’re so grown now.” He faked a sniffle.

“Let’s go, old man.” My mom patted his back and pulled him out the door with me following them.

The hall was overly decorated for the event and everyone loved it, except me.

“Soojin!” I spun around when I heard my name called. Eunji came rushing over and held onto my arm. “Do you know how out of place I feel? I can’t believe you convinced me to come here!” She hissed into my ear. “By the way, you look really nice.” She eyed me up and down.

“You also clean up well.” I chuckled.

“Hey! Is this how you greet someone?” Then, her eye catches something and she shakes my arm. “Be prepared.”

“Huh?”

“Soojin!” I turned and came face to face with a grinning Daehyun. “You look beautiful.” Okay, I feel slightly offended. Because if I’m not wrong, he sounded surprised.

“Thanks, Daehyun.” Someone calls his name and we both look behind him. Mrs. Jung makes her way over and puts her arm around her son. “Nice to see you again, Soojin.” She smiled at me.

I bow. “Thanks for having us, Mrs. Jung.”

“Polite as ever.” She turned to her son. “Daehyun, the event is starting soon, so remember to meet up with your father.” Daehyun nodded and his mother left us.

“Well, I have to get going.” Daehyun pointed behind him and weakly laughed. “I’ll s-see you in a bit.”

I nodded and watch him leave. Was this how dates always work? I mean, I’m not a pro so I don’t know if awkward conversations are usually a part of it.

“Was that awkward or was it me?” Eunji leaned over and commented.

I sighed. “No, that was awkward.”

She laughed at my response. “Good, you feel the same way.”

The whole night consisted of auctioning off expensive possessions and then the whole big talk about how Daehyun would be taking over the company after graduation. People congratulated him and he smiled for them. It was usually the same thing at every event I went to. The only nice thing about tonight was that I had an excuse to continue to stare at Daehyun’s handsome face…yeah, that’s about it.

Though, I would like to mention that afterwards when Daehyun met up with us, the awkward moments kept coming. Daehyun seemed to have lost his words. I asked him what was going on but he continued to deny that there was anything wrong. He was definitely nervous, he kept his damn lips and at that moment, I wished that he knew about his stupid nervous habit.

“Daehyun, seriously, what is up with you?”

“Nothing! Why would there be something wrong?”

“That was the third glass you’ve spilled in 15 minutes.” I pointed out. There was no point in keeping up his lie. It was so obvious that something was going on.

“It’s all your fault!” He blurted and I looked at him in surprise.

“How is it my fault! I have been sitting here watching you act all weird!” I retorted.

He sighs. “I’m trying to figure out why too.” He mumbled to himself and I narrowed my eyes at his words. At the same time, he pulled out his phone to look at i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter