02. Naeun

Giddy

(OST- Lovely Day by Apink)


“Naeun get ready in five.” Lifting my head from the book I turned to the director and politely nodded. Checking over the highlighted text once again I placed it down and stood up, taking off the jacket I’d been wearing. For a fictional character we didn’t appear to know how to dress well in winter.

Going into the middle of the street I stood with my hand bag and phone in hand ready. The director peered off into the distance. “Alright is our Kyuman-ssi ready?”

Seungho the actor a year older than me waved from where he was. The director sat in his chair and started the count down. The clapper board came into view. “My long lost You Scene sixty four take one.” He clapped it down.
“Cameras rolling for five seconds,” the director ordered. The cameraman began to work. “Microphones in place,” the sound crew brought them to hang over my head.

“Ready, action,” My phone rang and I picked it up, pretending to receive the call.

“Yes I’m here waiting for you—“

“—Bobae,” Seungho ran onto the scene and the director cut making us wonder why there was a mess up.

“His hair, it looks too neat. Get it teased he has to look as though he’s been running more.”

He went over to the stylist who started to spray his hair with water and begin giving him a sweaty forehead. Breathing out I made sure that my grip on the phone was firm. If for any reason it met with the pavement then it would be something I the actress had to pay for.

“Ok let’s try that again.” Seungho went back to his spot with his splashed face that was supposed to resemble perspiration. He made a smile and I turned away, slightly self-conscious.

 “Naeun keep your head up you want to finish soon right?”

I jumped, not expecting him to call out like that. I nodded and stood with my head raised but with burning cheeks. He called ‘action’ and the scene began again with the phone call.

“Yes I’m here waiting for you—“

“—Bobae!” Seungho came onto the scene. There was another cut as he forgot his lines making us both laugh. It happened a few times before we managed to get the scene right which ended with a crucial part.

“Don’t meet him,” Seungho really looked as though he was pleading with me through great acting. He took the phone away and I tried to grab it, appearing as though I was irritated which wasn’t true. “Oppa give it back—“

As planned I had to step closer to him as he held it higher and then he had to embrace me. He managed to hug me however as his hand went down the bottom of the phone hit my head.

“Cut try that again, Naeun are you ok?”

I rubbed my head assuring the director and a startled Seungho that I was indeed alright. I felt bad for him. He hadn’t meant to hurt me but he still was rather apologetic

“Well done everyone great job.” The director thanked us as the scene came to an end. Before we could finish I still had to film one final scene with the other lead actor.

“Ok Bobae you need to get ready to meet with Jung Sanghyun.”

Jung Sanghyun was the name of the character that the main male lead was playing. Our interactions were the focus of the slowly forming love-line, a love-line which was starting to shape into a triangle.

Our actor appeared after getting makeup and hair completed. From his expression it appeared that he was already getting into character.
“Ready sir,” he said to the director before coming to greet me. “How are you Naeun?”

“Good sunbae how are—“

“I’m your oppa so don’t forget to call me that.” He reminded me lightly with a grin. He sat down on the bench as part of the scene, a cigarette prepared as part of his character, a heavy smoker.

“So in this scene Naeun will be going to Sanghyun after Kyuman tried to get her to stay with him and then you’ll kiss her.” I blinked. Did he change the script on the spot? I turned around me in a panic. Going to where my copy of the script was I picked it up and had another read.

No it was definitely in here. I read over my lines again and went to find the make-up artist. “Please give me a breath mint.” She handed me one with an interested expression. I didn’t have time to explain that I hadn’t come prepared for this even though I’d read the script before.

The director was beginning to get impatient. “When you’re ready Naeun,” he said with some breath in his voice. I chewed it until I had the strong peppermint remains dissolving on my tongue and moved to where I would walk in.

“Now Wonho, don’t drop the cigarette alright and take a long puff.”

He nodded, “yes sir.” The director told the crew to get ready and soon before I knew it I was walking up to him like Bobae would have, if she was a real person. The closer I got to him the more I felt the wave of nostalgia build up. Once I had sat on a bench with someone. No I hadn’t sat with them but we had been on a bench once…

“So we’ll see you at Jeju island then Naeun-ssi.”

“Ok thank you I will work hard.” The call ended. The world was surreal for the moment being. I had just been asked if I could appear on a popular MBC variety show as a regular cast member. They wanted me to be the wife of someone on We Got Married.

In our President’s office he ran through with me and our manager of the filming that would commence in a few days from today. “So you are to meet them at five thirty for the flight to Jeju Island and film your first episode there.”

I nodded. “Also we’ve been asked to remind you not to tell anyone that you’re filming because it ruins the surprise so don’t tell anyone, not even your parents. Your manager and I are the only ones to know.”

“I understand sir.”

“Was there anything else you needed to do? Did they tell you?”

I paused, remembering that there was one other thing. Going to my bag I took out the mission card I had received just that morning.
“I have to draw my ideal future husband.”

He nodded. “Alright, I can’t tell you who the production company is considering you being paired with but you’ll find out when you arrive at Jeju Island. You are free to leave now.” This made me wonder who the mystery man was.

It was a scary thought at first. I would be paired up with a guy I probably had little to no interaction with before and had to pose with him as a happily married couple. Sure acting was no big issue but We Got Married wasn’t based on a script. All I knew is that we would have prompts hinting at what we could do or ask to get some sort of progression. That was a relief because if my husband was someone who was like me, quiet, withdrawn then we needed all the help we could get.

I snuck into my room where I got out a piece of paper, pencils from all sorts of shades and started to draw. I imagined us sitting on a swing, the area full of flowers and life like it was part of a fairy tale. Like most artists I had to erase and re-draw a few times before I was completely satisfied with my work but then again I barely was.

After I had finished carefully colouring in and shading it was time to give the picture one last glance over before I could put it in the scroll to take it with me. Getting out a pen I wrote a short, sincere message.

Going to bed I lay back and stared at the ceiling. “Lord, who is it?” I breathed out, trying to settle. “I’m worried; I haven’t done this before…. A real relationship let alone a fake one. What if he doesn’t like me? What if it ends up being how it was all the time?”

Dwelling on the past wouldn’t change the future. If he was an actor then it wouldn’t be as obvious if it was someone, an idol like me perhaps. I wondered if they would put me with an idol. Which group would it be? It couldn’t be Beast because they were from the same company as us or BTOB. So maybe it was someone from JYP Entertainment or less well known place.

The thinking made me tired and I ended up falling fast asleep. Dreaming of me and a guy on the beach playing in the water, laughing happily and talking closely as though we’d known each other our whole lives. If only in that dream the guy had a face.

I got into the car and we drove to the airport. The camera crew were already set up and ready to begin shooting. My husband to be had his introduction filmed at his dorm from what they said so they were going to take shots of me at the airport before revealing my face. I had done my first what was called ‘Black Room Interview’ a day before.

They filmed what they needed of me riding the escalator to the gate and then we got on the plane. “So Naeun-ssi, are you curious as to who your future husband is? Would you like a hint?” I looked at the camera that was pointing at my face.

I couldn’t keep my eyes on the Producer who was keen for me to respond. “Umm, ok?”

“Your husband to be is an idol just like you.”

So that answered whether he would be an idol or not; he was either in a group or a solo artist. Who else would go on We Got Married aside from K.Will who had once been an MC for them? I nodded happy with this answer until I realised that I didn’t know who out of all the group members and singers it would be. There were too many.

“Would you like another hint?”

“Please?” I asked timidly.

“Your husband on our show is the group’s main dancer.” So it narrowed it down more but I wasn’t sure who still. There were a lot of groups and all had one main dancer so knowing which one would be a hard task.
“We still have half an hour left before we land so we’ll give you one more hint before we arrive and it will be revealed to you once we’ve arrived at the meeting location.”

One more hint may or may not be enough to tell me who my husband would be on We Got Married. But I agreed none the less, trying not to be nervous as I sat next to the window, holding the scroll on my lap.

After getting off the plane we started to head to the vehicles assigned for us for use while we were filming there. They put me in a car, blocking me from curious onlookers who were wondering why I was there without the other members.

As we got closer to the sight the car ahead pulled over and we all stopped on the side of the road. The driver for the car I was in got out as one of the Cameramen came and spoke to him.
“We have to turn around. Naeun left her drawing on the plane the airline just called us.”

He laughed in the amazement of it. “Ah really, ok I understand.” I shrank down in my seat wanting to fall into a never ending abyss. “Not to worry we’ll get it and come back. He will be coming in a few hours so there’s no rush.”

“Who is it?” I asked him as we pulled back onto the road. “I know that he’s an idol and is the main dancer.”

”Ah so you want to know?” I nodded, wondering why he had his eyebrows raised the way he had them.  “Ok so your future husband—“

It was cruel of him to pause so I asked him sounding a little impatient to continue. “Your husband to be is none other than…”

So for a while there will be us going down memory lane with them in We Got Married but not for long mind you, also I’m debating still whether to use terms such as oppa or sunbae in this story. People prefer different things so let me know if you disagree or agree with me using them.