15. Taemin

Giddy

(OST- Hug me by 10cm)

“YOU ARE DATING WHO?!”

They nearly blew me away with the volume of their words. Clinging onto the edge of my chair I managed to not become cowardly in front of my members.

“That’s right,” I said. “Naeun and I are back together again.”

Minho hyung leaned back in his chair shaking his head. “Ah she must be an idiot for saying yes to you again.”

“We are never, ever, ever, ever getting back together,” Kibum hyung sang in English. “She must be an idiot for saying yes.”

That got me annoyed. “Hey she’s not an idiot!”

Jonghyun hyung to my surprise started to nod in agreement, his dark brown hair bobbing along. “He’s right. He’s the idiot.”

Hyung!

 

“Yeah that’s true,” Kibum hyung and Minho hyung both said almost in unison. “You had a perfectly good life with her until you let one dumb mistake ruin it for you. You knew what would happen yet you said she’d be fine with it.”

I remembered that and also remembered how painful the consequences had been. The way they were watching me there and then suggested that the expression on my face must have been what they hoped for.

Kibum made scolding noises before continuing. “Anyway… We knew.”

I just stared at him, “how did you know?”

“Well we knew that you’ve been seeing someone for a while at least since… Wait how long has it been?”

“About four months—“

“Caught you,” Minho got a hi-five from Kibum and then I saw through their plan. Jonghyun sat there smiling wide mouthed happily. “Well we knew you had someone. We just didn’t expect you to tell us so late and we didn’t expect it to be her.”

I nodded, somewhat relieved but also a little confused. “So does that mean you are alright with it.”

“Eh,” they all said back. Jonghyun gave me a serious expression. “We’re alright with it. But we won’t be if you mess it up again.”

Kibum’s words caught me off guard. “We mean it Taemin-ah. In regards to your love life Naeun was the best thing to have ever happened to you.”

They sure left an impact on me. He was right, I didn't deserve another chance if things fell apart.


 

“So why are we out here again?” Kwonho hyung asked being skittish around everyone that came past. He wasn’t even famous yet I stood tall and walked around with my sunnies on to hide my face. The show had finished filming and in the end Bomi’s final dancer had won.

I glanced at him, “I’m getting something for our two hundredth day.”

He was gobsmacked. Waiting for him to speak I stopped outside a shop. “What do you think about this?”

“Are you really Lee Taemin?”

Lowering my eyebrows in a frown he continued to speak. “I mean, here we are getting something for you and her for your two hundredth day anniversary. This isn’t We Got Married; you don’t have to act like it still is.”

“Even if I pretend to forget she would still remember.” I said emphasizing as much as I could. “Last time, our relationship became like weak tea. We still tried to drink even though it didn’t have a lot of taste. No this time, I’m going to not take anything for granted anymore. I once said on television that I’m going to love her in the future. Even if I want to take back my words I can’t, and I won’t.”

Kwonho hyung must have been a little taken back because he didn’t answer straight away. When he did it was just to comment on the temperature.
“Ok so when is your two hundredth day?”

“On the twenty sixth,” I said peering into the glass display at a jewellery store. “Let’s try here.” Kwonho hyung shrugged and followed me inside.

There were a lot of nice bracelets, earrings and even rings. But this had to be special; this had to mean something.

“Hyung pick something,” I said feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of choices there were.

“Do you need a hand?” For once it was a male shop assistant. He looked well presented in his black waist coat and trousers.

Glancing around one last time to make sure of it I agreed. “I’m looking for something for a two hundred day anniversary.”

He gave me and Kwonho hyung a funny look before hyung quickly clarified. “It’s for him and his girlfriend alright?!”

Nodding with some scepticism in his gesture he then showed us to a section which had couple items. They all looked lovely against the black velvet, the diamonds and other valuable stones really shining.

A lot of the items were in silver which I didn’t mind since it was the same metal that our rings were made from. While we looked something caught my eye. A pendant in a rather unusual symbol made in silver or gold.

“What is this one?” I asked the man pointing to it. “The one which looks like it’s a ball on a stand.”

He went around the other side and bent down, “ah do you mean the Omega necklaces?”

“What does that mean?”

“It means the last; it’s at the end of the Greek alphabet.”

I nodded but in a way I wasn’t paying too much attention. This couldn’t just be a coincidence. It matched exactly my feelings towards Naeun.

She was to be my first and my last.

“Would you like to have a look?” He offered and I agreed. He took the display out and placed them in front of me in a tray. The one for the female had rounded ends and was smaller compared to the male’s one and it didn’t have black in the centre either.

I glanced at Kwonho. He had no idea and he didn’t give me much of an opinion. “It’s up to you.”

“I’ll take them.”

“In this one or the gold set?”

“The silver please,” I said and he carried them to the cash register. Kwonho nudged me in the side and I just smiled.

Now I had to hope that Naeun would really like it.

Sitting outside their apartment block I had to wipe my hands on my jeans. Why was I being so nervous? It was only a date. We’d had just a few of them since I’d been busy with going back and forth to Japan for solo promotions. When you have to answer interviews alone and in a different language it can get quite intimidating.

I wished that we had been able to meet up two days earlier.

“Have you been waiting long?” I turned to see Naeun walking over to me. Her long hair was in its delicate curls except for part of it that was pinned away from her face. She wore a loose red and white striped dress, stockings with brown boots and a brown coat.

I shook my head. “Nope its fine, will you be warm?” I asked realising her stockings might not be enough to keep her legs warm. Her shapely legs…

Ok Taemin just stop right there!

“Are you alright?” She said and I nodded. There was no way I would be telling her about that mental battle I just had.

“Let’s go,” I said starting the engine and cautiously turning the car out. Someone could see us if we weren’t careful and that would not be good.

I took her to a place I knew that had very few people passing through. Parking the car in the basement of an office building we got out and began our date. Keeping close to her I had a very watchful eye.

The next moment I casually turned my head to see how she was doing I found myself facing her straight in the eye. Naeun from about five years ago would have not done that.
“You’ve been a singer for eleven years. Why are you still afraid of them?”

“You don’t know what they could do,” I answered slightly wetting my bottom lip. She gave me a reassuring smile. I felt her hand hold mine and it sent warmth all over me.

“Do you think I said yes to you if I thought about your fans?”

This made me smirk. “Are you being selfish Son Naeun?”

“I think I am.”

We both laughed at this. I found a place that sold fried chicken and brought a box for us to share. It wasn’t the most amazing chicken we’d eaten but she made no fuss which I was happy over.

“Here,” she fed me a leg and I bit into it, dropping flesh on the ground. She gave me a shove in response. “Ah you wasted it!”

“Sorry,” I said chewing. “I’m trying to keep an eye out for something.”

She peeled some of the meat off her wing. “What is it?”

“A spot—ah there.” I found it. One against railing, near the tops of trees hundreds of lights sparkled from the beyond.

She slowed her steps as she finished off the rest of that wing. “Why does this feel familiar?”

I immediately knew what she was referring to. “Ah that time, us, the water ride, the chicken and the beer?”

Nodding she started to laugh, “Ah right.”

“Except I don’t have any beer tonight,” I said which made her crack up. “Come over here,” wiping my hand on a napkin I took her by the elbow and pulled Naeun to where I was standing.

Her face lit up as she saw the bright specks which twinkled amongst the dark areas. “Wow, it’s so pretty.”

“Yep I thought this would be something nice Jongin suggested it to me.”  She clapped in approval and I bowed, almost dropping the rest of the chicken. “Oh that reminds me, hold this.” I handed her the box. “There’s something else.”

“What is it?” She asked curious. I took out a black box in the shape of a rectangle. Opening it I revealed my purchase.

She said nothing as she stared at the necklaces. “It was for our two hundredth day. But we missed it by two days so happy two hundred and two days.” I told her grinning.

“They’re lovely,” she told me appearing touched, “Oppa thank you.”

“I’ll help you with it,” she balanced the box in one hand as she used the other to move her hair away. Standing behind her I took out the girl’s one and placed it around her neck. When I had finished she turned around to face me.

“How does it look?”

I was smiling like mad. “It really suits you,” silver really was her colour. “Perfect and her cheeks seemed a little red.  “Ok now my turn,” I pretended to lift my hair and she cracked up. Her hands gently brushed my neck as she undid the clasp and fastened it up.

“Now we’re matching,” I said beaming. We stood next to each other, our arms resting on the railing. Standing here, sharing this moment with her, I couldn’t have asked for more.

I jumped as I felt her nudging me. “Here,” she was poking me with something that had a corner. Moving to look I saw it was a book, a rather old one based on the cover.

“What’s this?” I asked reading the word ‘diary’ on the front.

“Read it,” was all she told me. I took the book and opened the pages.

No way.

My mouth slipped open and I spoke one of the lines.

“I can’t believe he acted like that. Was I crazy for being so sad about it too?” I checked the date just to make sure. “Isn’t this from our—“

“—that’s right,” she confirmed. “This is one of the books I managed to fill during that time.” At that moment it was as though the night skies had parted to reveal the warm sunlight of a morning. I watched her as she stood there, hopefully anticipating my response.

I cleared my throat, finding my mind had floated away. “Naeun… I… I don’t know what to say.” She smirked at my stuttering and I too couldn’t help but smile in embarrassment. To try and keep myself from reacting too strongly I glanced at my phone.

It was almost three thirty in the morning!

“Oh my gosh, I’d better get you home.”

She peered at the time and her eyes widened in alarm. “Uh oh we’d better leave.” That ended our date as we almost ran back to where the car was parked.

I drove as fast as the legal limit let me and pulled over to the curb where she could get out. Closing the door Naeun waved to me as she hurried to the front door. I jumped out of the car after her.

“Naeun,” I said. As she turned around I opened my arms. The way she stood in my hug felt like I was being embraced by an angel. Her hair smelt like deep musk and rosemary, soft to touch.

“Thank you.”

I felt her head nod. “Thank you oppa,” she replied into my chest. I had every reason to thank her. For tonight and for what else would come.

Whoa would you believe that this almost six pages long? I guess you’re happy about the fact that this chapter is extremely cute and I want to hear your thoughts alright?