19. Taemin

Giddy

(OST- U by Taemin)

I slowly pulled away, letting me be the first to open my eyes.  She slowly stared at me, eyelashes fluttering like butterfly wings, her expression difficult to read. Did she like it or was she repulsed by my actions?

Truthfully it was impulsive. I had wanted her to stay. Begging her with my words may have become void.

Clearing my throat I tried to speak but the words weren’t coming out easily. When I did talk I had a small grunt at the beginning. “I’ll… I’ll take you back.”

Naeun just glanced back at the car, avoiding my gaze. I didn’t expect her to become so shut-in. Had my kiss really shattered her trust or respect in me?

“Alright,” she finally answered and we both walked back, none of us speaking. I opened the door for her and her thanks came in the form of a small nod. At least she was being polite in some way.

As I drove the vehicle back to the station I couldn’t help but gently press my fingertips against my lips. Hers had felt soft, without the feeling they would melt in one’s mouth. They felt like velvet.

Coming to the car park I unlocked the doors and got out first. Going to the back door I checked she was still awake. She sat there still, barely moving but still breathing.
“You can find your way from here. I’ll be leaving then.”

Turning my back to her and leaving felt like I was being punished for trying to act out of decency. More than anything I wanted to glance behind at her to see if she was alright. However my stunt would have caused more than enough attention so anymore would be sentencing my life as a singer to death.

Sitting at the waterfront I glanced at Jongin who still had his third can of beer in his gloved hands. “When’s he going to arrive?” He muttered staring out at the rippling lights.

“Sorry I’m late.”

“Hyung,” we both greeted Junmyeon otherwise known as Suho. He didn’t give off the aura of a wealthy person dressed in track pants and a black parker to shield from the wind.

We glanced at his feet. “Are your children at home?”

He nodded, “Meonggu’s hip has been bothering him. We’re taking him to the vet tomorrow.”

“Hope he feels well soon,” Jongin said with empathy. He knew how it felt to have a dog in pain.

Junmyeon thanked him and then glanced at me. “So Taemin-ah, I heard about that reckless move you pulled the other day—“

“Ah yes Mino hyung was not happy—hey it wasn’t reckless!”

“What part of it wasn’t then?”

I had to think. “Well… I guess it was probably the part where I asked her manager for the keys.”

“And he actually said yes?!”

When I confirmed this they both glanced at the other and then shook their heads. “Taemin really has become wild hasn’t he?”

“It’s sad hyung.” This mad my ears redden. Jongin ruffled my hair.

“So you borrowed their van, took Naeun on a wild drive and then came back?” Junmyeon asked, “Seems to be a bit too much effort if you’re just going to talk.”

Jongin eyed me. I looked at him in confusion and then he mouthed something to me. Thinking it was a particular question I made a silent ‘yes’ back at him.

“Oh,” he said with his eyebrows rising.

“What is it?”

Jongin pointed at me with a funny smile. “Something happened between you and she didn’t it? That’s why you called us out here while we could be hard at work practicing.”

Ah

I forgot how close Jongin was with me. My body became rather hot and I wanted to take off my jacket despite the low temperatures. They watched me squirm like a snake trying to shed its skin. “Ah well… Hold on,” I paused. “Didn’t I already tell you in my message?”

“Tell me what?”

“Tell you that…That I kissed her—“

They both sat upright from shock, “YOU KISSED HER?!” I almost got bowled over from the sheer force. Junmyeon and Jongin both appeared completely baffled and at the same time very much surprised.

For once Junmyeon got the hint way before my closest friend did. He must have been studying my expression. “Wait… Don’t tell us… That was the first time you—“

“No it can’t be,” Jongin disagreed. “Because when she turned twenty one you gave her one then.”

Yes that was true. I gave her our first kiss on her birthday. It had been the most memorable moment for me of that day, besides her being another year older.

I nodded glumly at this memory. “It’s been a while then,” Junmyeon said. “No wonder you’re rather taken back. I guess it makes you miss her a lot more.”

Miss her? No it was more than that. If she was not in my heart then it did not exist at all.

We all sat for a while watching boats sail past with lights guiding them. I gave Junmyeon and beer which he had a small sip of. “So what are you going to do?”

Still watching the gentle movement of Han River I answered with a rather uncertain response. “I don’t really know. I don’t know.”



 

In a week I would be making my comeback as a solo artist. The timing was poor as it was getting close to the end of year award shows and I wouldn’t be eligible for any prizes if I won on any music shows.

Sitting in the studio I paper against the piano where I was practicing a ballad I had written for my next album. It had taken many sleepless nights to create the piece so I hoped that my fans would like it as much as I did.

After playing the song slowly and singing each note with not much power just to get the feel I grew tired and decided to pause and listen to the radio.

The first station had an old trot song I didn’t know much of the lyrics to so I changed it to a radio show.

“And now we’re back with Apink to continue our discussion.”

I had good reason to snap out of my dozy mood. The female host started to talk now. “So tell us ladies. You’re all getting into your late twenties and a lot of questions about marriage and your futures must be popping up. Who do you think will get married last?”

“Naeun,” a voice sounding like Namjoo’s responded quickly and there was laughter.

“Why do you say that?” The male host who I think might have been Shindong hyung asked.

“She’s focused on her career and plans to do a lot of acting in the future.” Chorong answered. Some of the other members were heard verbally agreeing for a bit before the DJ’s spoke I just hoped that the topic would be changed.

I held my breath for a moment. “Well, the truth is,” Shindong hyung with an air of caution in his voice. “Naeun was married at one point right.”

Not this again.

“But that doesn’t really count.”

Shindong continued. “You were married to my junior on the show and you also got married in a drama. Now we know that Jung Kyungho is out of the picture due to age but what about Lee Taemin. What are your personal feelings on him?”

There was some protesting from the other members. I was beginning to feel squeamish. What if her answer was negative? Who would it affect? After some silence I silently thanked God that the topic seemed to have been dropped.

“Actually I have a better question.” My heart rate sped up. “Ever since you finished We Got Married have your personal feelings for your husband changed?”
Gripping the edge of the chair my head spun. I thought that the shock of such a question would make me pass out. Staring down at the ivories I watched them rattle and multiply into transparent copies that disappeared after the disorientation.

Eunji spoke for Naeun. “You don’t have to answer.”

“No,” the dizzy sensation stopped. I slammed a fist against the keys in a dull note. What did that mean?

The female host spoke. “Ah, so what’s she’s saying is if she liked him then she still does. But if she never did like him like that, then she never will am I right?”

Naeun did not respond. I did not respond either. Because I already knew how she felt about me.

She likes me. She still likes me


 

Are we in complete surprise or were you expecting it? Anyway I just wanted to say a big thank you for the 105 of you who have subscribed. This is a new record for me since the most I ever got for a story was maybe 101. Thank you again it really is so nice of you.