09. Taemin

Giddy

(OST- Brave by Tawgs Salter)

The articles came out rather fast. ‘Lee Taemin and Son Naeun are awkward?’ ‘After We Got Married Taeun couple proves their faux marriage was just that.’

Considering what we went through together this didn’t appear fair. SM kept a tight lid on the subject giving me clear instruction to not respond. ACube Entertainment seemed to have been brave or maybe foolish enough to post a response:

According to the writers of the show that scene was impromptus. There was nothing on the script saying for them to formally greet each other on television. Naeun didn’t expect to say hello to him then and there like that so that is why it was awkward.

Now the situation was starting to get more out of hand. I had fans leave comments in my fan cafe saying our marriage on the show was a hoax since the two appear to not be in contact. But their company didn’t have to say anything.

As I was being driven to the studio for next week’s filming I thought about how Naeun was feeling. She had received cold treatment from people in the past. That disastrous date in Myeongdong was a great example of that. If only I could make sure she didn’t see those comments on the articles.

“Were you talking to me Taemin?”

I blinked. Minoh hyung our manager was watching me in the rear view mirror. “I just heard you saying something so I wanted to make sure.”

“Oh sorry,” I said to him. “I guess I was expressing thoughts aloud.”

He nodded and then chuckled. What was going on? “Hyung,” I started. “Why are you like this? What was I talking about?”

“You were saying that you hoped she wouldn’t be online for a while and that you felt bad for not pretending to greet her without any awkwardness.”

I had been caught. He would know if I wasn’t being honest. Nodding I agreed with him. “Yeah I guess I have been thinking about what happened last week. She was put in an awkward place.”

“You both were,” he corrected me.

“I am fine since we are not to say anything.” That was the given instruction. “But for her… I know she must be getting unnecessary hate for it again.”

He chuckled again and I sat up more in my seat. “Hyung what are you—“

“—relax, I’m just happy.” Oh I’m sure you were hyung!


 

In the judges chairs I spun around as the makeup artist went to get some new branches.  I glanced at Bomi who was getting the bright scarf tied in her hair fixed.
“So when does Naeun come?”

I noticed her raise her eyebrows slightly like she was confused. Because she had her face turned slightly away from me I couldn’t be certain. The scarf was tied neatly and so she gave me focus.
“Why do you ask?” Seeing me with the same face as hers was just before went into a slight ‘o’. “Oh, so you weren’t informed.”

“Informed about what?”

“She’s really busy with the drama so she won’t be the MC for two weeks. They’re getting Rainbow’s Woori to do it.”

Wasn’t she starring in a ballet show at the moment? A lot of the past girl groups had split or disbanded. Rainbow had gone their separate ways; the oldest member was having a baby soon with her husband of two years.

Disappointment could not be concealed. I wore it like a pair of large sunglasses. “I see,” I nodded as well. “I guess it can’t be helped.” That didn’t stop me from being suspicious. What if it was just an excuse to keep her and I apart for a few weeks to ensure the rumours die down?

She peered at me, her face in a smirk. “Ah, I think I see.”

“What do you see?” I asked keeping mine as straight as possible which was hard.

“You must still like her.”

How could she assume that!? I was shocked. She sat there with a rather smug smile. Unable to hide the embarrassement I just put a fist to my mouth, hoping my cheekbones would not rise.

Even so my mood was rather down for the show. It also didn’t help that I had to get rid of one of my own dancers due to some sloppy moves in the middle of the performance. There’s nothing quite as depressing as having to pick one of your own, apologise and tell them they are leaving. Especially when they burst into tears in front of the audience.

On the way home I went through my phone to check upcoming schedules. I paused at one which was scheduled for next Thursday, ‘Concert Special at 7pm.’

“Hyung,” I heard a murmur from Minoh as he was playing with his phone. “This concert, have they got the confirmed list yet?”

“Yeah it should say in the email.” I don’t remember reading any email. Going to my inbox on my phone I found one which had the final details regarding the show. I would be performing two songs which included my title song and one ballad. There was also the confirmed list for the performers.

Super Junior K.R.Y, Ailee, Lyn, Baek Jiyoung, Ajax, Taemin, Block B and Apink…

I had to have read that wrong. Going through the list again my heart did a funny twist when I realised that it was not fake. They would be performing. My chance to find out what she was feeling would come.

 The night of the concert came and I rehearsed with little to no energy.  I hadn’t slept much the past few days and the comments of the fans watching showed that they knew too. It didn’t matter to me. Whether I was sick or upset was of no importance. The music and I had to be in complete unison with the stage for three minutes and x number of seconds.

Fortunately I wasn’t up first. Block B and Ailee had a combined performance first followed by Rainbow and then Baek Jiyoung. After some sort of funny skit I was going to be next with ‘Midnight’ and later on it was my soundtrack solo from ‘To the Beautiful You.’ That was after Apink had performed.

Soon I was ready to head onto the stage and begin with ‘Midnight’, a rather upbeat song with dub step in the bridge. The crowd went wild as I sang and danced my heart out, focusing on nothing but delighting those who came to see us, especially me.

“Well done,” the stage director told me as I was escorted back. My ending had me stand on a platform that sank into the floor so we were going back from underneath the stage. My stylist had me take off my jacket as she prepared my outfit for ‘U’.

An hour and a half went by pretty quickly and I was soon getting ready to go on stage. The light darkened on Apink as they finished their show, the crowd still going wild for them. They quickly hurried off stage going past me. Turning my head I kept my eye out for one girl in particular. She came by in a flash, her long brown hair swishing past.

“Naeun,” the person who was meant to be ushering me onto stage was distracted for a moment. Now was my chance. I called again a little louder this time. “Naeun,” and there came a reaction.

She paused to look behind. I saw her, my hopes starting to grow. I managed what probably looked to be a rather awkward smile. Naeun, why won’t you smile back at me?

Her face struggled to make a gesture. She seemed to have a rather cluttered mind. I waited for her to say hello or speak back. However it soon became clear that she did not know what to say. Her nervous smile like expression proved it.

Naeun, why aren’t you speaking? Am I really a stranger to you now?

“Taemin-sshi you’re on.” Before I could try and ask her what was wrong I had a hand push me in the small of my back. The stage awaited but I didn’t want to wait for her. With some heaviness inside my spirit I kept myself composed as I walked on with the microphone ready to sing the rather bittersweet song.

5 Years Ago

If there was ever a good time to try and use my wits on this show then it had to be now. I had already got her to express that she missed me and right now was pretty interested in what my mother’s friend had shared about her. So why not have a little fun and at the same time find out her true feelings? This time without the use of helium or the mention of any kiss scenes she had to do in the past!

“There’s something bothering you right?”

“No there isn’t.”

“Are you sure?”

She kept on disagreeing still appearing clueless. “I really don’t,” she said.

“Really?”

Now was a good time for me to keep reeling her in. “I heard a lot of things though.” Panic was resounding within her more now.

“Like what?”
 
With a rather sly but amused smile I told her, “just a lot of things.”

She was still concerned about what exactly. “Like what?”

“I’m not telling,” just to more I put a teasing tone in my delivery. Although she was probably becoming impatient Naeun still kept her grin even though she seemed nervous.

“Why, hurry up and tell me.”

I was close to the punch now, “if you say it first.”

“If I say what,” she asked.

I paused and made a noise with my mouth as though to think. In actual fact I was just drawing out the time.
“Mmm, do you like me?”

She leaned back against the couch and laughed. “Oh, what the?!”

“If you don’t then I won’t tell you what I’m thinking.” Naeun had no choice. Either she would take a hold of this and just say something or disregard it. It was the right moment for me to see if she had any honest feelings towards me or the show.

This request had taken her off guard. She giggled with her teeth in a smile, barely glancing my way but towards the cameras. “I… do.”

“Like what, what do you like?” I was a rascal and wasn’t afraid to admit it.

Bowing her head to play with her hands she cleared it up. “I like oppa.” Grinning I laughed as I ate popcorn.

“This is fun.”

“There I did it now hurry up and tell me!”

I may as well tell her the truth. “I was just messing around.” The look on her face was priceless. Her eyes widened she leaned back in defeat and laughed alongside me. Naeun glanced at me to make sure I wasn’t kidding this time.

“Really?”

“Mm,” I said with popcorn in my mouth. Her eyes drew away to glance somewhere else. She was rather embarrassed it was cute.

“I like you too.”


 Hehe Taemin you are so sly!