04. Naeun

Giddy

(OST- My my by Apink)


I was having a break at home on one of the off chances that I was not busy when I was suddenly contacted by the company. “A Producer from SBS would like you to join his show as a MC for the live shows. You’ll have to come in to discuss the role further.”

Me, be an MC? I’m not much good at it so why me?

“Are you sure they really want me?” I asked him when I was sitting in the office of the Events Management.

“Unless we have any other Son Naeuns’ in the company then yes.”

I forgot that he could be quite sarcastic but I didn’t say anything to him about this. I wasn’t very good at confronting anyone about anything.  “Anyway,” he cleared his throat catching me off guard.
“We have to let them know by tomorrow afternoon because they would like to start filming in a month.”

Nodding I took this in thinking about how busy I was at the moment. The drama wouldn’t finish just yet and our group was going to have a comeback by the end of this year. Could I really pick up another job?

“Bomi-sshi has already signed on to be one of the judges. It’s apparently a dance competition where four judges all compete to have their last dancer standing as the winner. Shin Dongup will be an MC along with you if you take up the offer.”

“Of course there is no fixed MC at the moment alongside Shin Dongup so if you decide to have a go and that the position isn’t for you then they can bring someone else on.”

“Ok umm,” I found myself bowing my head to hide my face. The strands of my hair hid me for a moment until he told me to sit upright. “Can I think about it and let you know?”

“Tell your manager.” Was his direct answer, “he’ll have to accommodate for your extra schedule if you join.”

“I understand.” Getting up I bowed to him politely before going to leave. I opened the door and then paused. Turning back to him I stood up straight. “Pardon me but… Do you know who the other judges will be?”

He paused, picking up the paper and flicking through the few pages. “Ah here it is, they wrote it on the email. So there will be Bomi-sshi, Poppin Hyunjoon who is a well-known pop and locker. Jaewook a dancer from one of YG’s dancing crews oh and this one will be interesting.” His eyes looked at me through his glasses. “Someone you probably knew well; Lee Taemin from SHINee.”

 

I almost dropped my phone. Before I made a fool of myself I bowed again and excused myself. Outside the office I held my phone against my chest as my heart started to pound.

Why am I like this? I know who he is. Why do I feel so strange?
 


 

“So are you going to do it?” Hayoung asked me while Namjoo served me rice. It had been a while since a lot of us ate together. Bomi and Eunji were out filming a variety show so it was just me, Namjoo, Chorong and Hayoung together.

Chorong raised her eyebrows at Hayoung. “What do you think? Won’t it be weird for her to be on a show with him after having not spoken to him for nearly five years?”

Namjoo who had just been drinking water put down her glass, ready to fire. “But it could be a great thing unnie. They could become friends again. That would be nice right?”

Chorong bit the edge of her lip almost shaking her head. “I don’t know. If you’ve been with someone and then split up it can be hard to become friends again without it becoming awkward.”

“Unnie he may have a girlfriend so then why would it matter?” Hayoung stated waving her spoon in the air. The other two eyed her and then she saw my face. I must have looked quite appalled because she apologised immediately.

“Its fine,” I assured them all as they kept eating. “I will have a go and see what happens. At least I have Shin Dongup sunbae with me so he can teach me some things that may help.”

“That’s true,” Chorong began to agree. “But still… You were deeply hurt back when you two separated so I don’t want you feeling as though your heart is being squeezed by the painful memories his face may cause.”

The other members nodded with her. I knew she had a point. I had to think in my head before I could answer and even then I was not satisfied with my answer. “I won’t let it bother me. It was years ago back when I thought there could be a love that lasts forever. I’m no longer that naïve, twenty year old girl. I’m a young woman who knows what matters and that is my job, my family and all of you.”

They suddenly surrounded me in a big hug. I squirmed my way out of it as the door opened and a voice called out. “We’re here.”

“There’s no food left!” Namjoo jokingly told Eunji unnie as she entered in her slippers along with Bomi. When they saw she’d been kidding Bomi unnie got her in a loose head lock and pretended to knee her.
“Hurry up and eat,” Chorong exclaimed. “Before I eat it all.”

“What’s wrong with you unnie?” Eunji said pretending to be concerned. “Are you getting cravings? Oh right you’re twenty eight and probably already starting a family soon.”

 

“Come here,” that produced a chase led by Chorong who ran after Eunji into her room where there was much laughter and screams as Eunji called out. “Hey that tickles!”

 Bomi sat down next to me and started to eat. “So you’re going to be the MC for the show I’m on?” I agreed to this. “Wow that will be exciting. Are you nervous?”

“A little unnie, but I’m more concerned about…” I didn’t continue since she probably already knew too well what it was. As expected, unnie caught on as fast as a race car.

“Ah so you haven’t really talked to him since then at all.” She blew out air through her lips that she rounded as though she was going to blow a whistle. “That will be awkward then. It will be like when you first met him right?”

I lowered my chopsticks. She was right. It was almost the exact same feeling…

 

Five Years ago


“Alright let’s have a break for now.” The producer called the cameramen to cut and we handed back our life jackets to the staff over the desk. Glancing at him for a brief second I found that I had to turn away.

He was different from what I had expected in a husband. He stood just less than six feet, slim build compared to a lot of idols with abs… Wait does he even have them?

But it was a good different in a way. It had been awkward before when we’d met hours before and even now he could talk with more ease with the crew than me. Maybe I was seeing two people both wearing the same clothes.

“Naeun,” someone spoke to me. I looked around and saw my stylist waving to me. “Would you like to change?” Glancing down at my clothes I realised that I smelt a little like the sea; a salty, crisp smell.

“Yes please,” I made my way over to her as she led me away with some fresh clothes. In the change rooms she showed me what I was to wear and I carefully slipped them on. It felt nice to be dressed in clean, odourless clothes.

My makeup artist was rather inquisitive about us as she powdered my face for a re-touch. “It must be nice, being married to an idol like him.”

Confused I blinked, almost getting mascara below my eyes. “W-what do you mean?”

“Well Taemin is one of the nicer idols. Some can be real jerks and bullies but Taemin-sshi… He is one of the nicer kids.”

I had no idea that he was like that. Truthfully I’d never really spoken to him until today. Yes we’d bowed to each other at concerts and had acted in a drama together but having a proper conversation had not happened. I think it came from me being painfully shy around people I don’t know well.

The producer knocked on the door and we let her enter. “We’re going to film you two having a meal at a dining area nearby. You’ll have to barbeque the food yourself but we’ve gained permission to film there and at the beach too.”

I was given one final check over before she said I was good to go. I came out of the room feeling nervous. He had changed too out of his white pants into shorts and a button up shirt. For a moment I thought I saw him look at me but I think I may have been too nervous.

“Well done everyone.” The producer ended the shooting after Taemin oppa and I had danced together with a band that was playing in the background. We moved apart and bowed to the different members. Although the first meeting had been awkward with the prompting of the staff we’d managed to work through it smoothly.

As I’d thanked someone I turned around and bumped into him. He made a small smile and I made a small bow.
“W-well done for today.”

“Well done,” he also replied to me. Leaving immediately I wondered why my face was burning. Was I embarrassed? What was it about this that made me want to run for the cliffs?

My manager was no help as he picked me up from the airport that evening, “Naeun-ah how did it go today?”

I sat down in my seat, leaning back against the chair. “It was… Alright, I didn’t expect to be paired up with him.”

“Ah are you feeling a little disappointed then?”

Leaning forward I caught his eye looking through the rear view mirror. He bounced his eyebrows to make me laugh. Disappointed? How could I be disappointed?

“Oppa, I… I don’t know him well enough. But he seems alright.”

“Good, maybe he’ll be good for you. We’ll find out when we see the episode.”

I didn’t know if he was trying to be encouraging or if he really meant it. I wasn’t sure if he really dated or not but when he said he hadn’t I felt a sincerity in his speech. But I didn’t want to open my heart straight away. Not when it could be like before… A one sided feeling from the heart.


 

Ok so now we have titles for each flashback (though there won’t be heaps of them) section which I hope will help and did you guys want links for the OST’s or will you be alright just looking them up on youtube?