22. Naeun

Giddy

(OST- Come Home by One Republic)

“Phew we did alright everyone,” our leader assured us as we came off the stage. We all grabbed our water and snacks which we were craving for.

Eunji unnie undid the lid on hers. “Who’s performing next?”

Namjoo looked up at the monitor which was in our room. Up on the screen was a familiar figure dressed smartly, walking over to the grand piano.

Hayoung glanced as the camera zoomed into him and then looked at me. “Oh, what’s this?”

I shrugged having no idea. I didn’t really know what songs he was going to be performing at the concert. The others weren’t paying much attention as the song began to play.

Watching him I felt my breath being taken away. His voice trembled with sorrow and remorse of a love that he had treasured and lost.

“Omo,” Eunji unnie said with her bottle still in her hands. “This song… It’s about you Naeun.”

“No that can’t be,” I said shaking my head. “He wouldn’t…”

He paused through playing. It wasn’t very clear from the angle of the camera but it looked as though something fell from his eyes. Swallowing hard I found myself struggling not to do the same thing. Hayoung spoke up, “whoa he’s crying on stage.”

Bomi and Chorong unnie caught my eye and I didn’t know what I should say. Chorong unnie came over to me and patted me on the back. “Don’t feel bad. He realised the mistakes himself but it was too late.”

I managed to nod in agreement although I couldn’t help my own eyes starting to water. When no one was watching my way I quickly dabbed them with the back of my hand.

 



“Blow out the candles,” Namjoo urged me. Staring at the cake with deep red icing I took in a great puff and exhaled. They cheered as the candles all flickered out. Today was my birthday. I was now twenty six years of age. In four more I would be officially thirty.

“Let’s get a knife and cut it up,” Eunji unnie declared. Hayoung followed her into the kitchen while Bomi and Chorong unnie started tidying up the food plates from our meat barbeque. The members, the company, our label mates and the fans had been very generous this year. I had been supplied with enough scarves to last me the rest of this winter and the next, a doll that looked exactly like me as well as a special scrapbook my fan café had created for me. They had taken a lot of time to write letters to me and send in photos showing their support in me being another year older.

Namjoo was flicking through the pages of that as the others completed their tasks. “Oh that’s funny. Did you see this photo of that fan boy who reminds you of Taemin-sshi?”

My mind awoke. That was right. I was going to watch something. Grabbing my phone I the internet and went to the broadcasting channel for Music Countdown. They hadn’t announced the results yet.

“Oh what do I do?” The girl MC said to the boy MC. “I’m afraid that he won’t like me.”

“Why wouldn’t he?”

“Because I’m ‘Too Friendly’,” there were cheers from delighted fans. “Let’s give it up for Taemin.”

The song was darker than his previous one had been. He was with female backup dancers. I couldn’t tear my eyes away as they pretended to seduce him on stage. It caused a bitter feeling in my heart.

“What are you watching?” Chorong unnie called from the barbeque area. I turned down the volume.

“Just someone performing…” I was a poor liar. After he was finished I put it on mute until they announced the winner for the week.

The MC’s both said one name and I felt my spirit soar. He’d won, after promoting for nearly five weeks he had come first. His face stretched as he struggled to remain calm. With a lot of relief and strong gratitude resounding from his tone he thanked everyone he could before the microphone was handed back to him.

Someone’s hand on my shoulder made me jump. The phone clattered to the ground and the screen turned off. “Naeun,” I looked at Eunji unnie who backed away from seeing me annoyed. “Ah… I have to go now. See you tomorrow.”

“Yeah we’ll be leaving too,” Chorong unnie answered for her and the others. “Have a good night.”

I made a tired smile. “Sure, night.” They waved as they left me in the apartment, with all their mess.

My parents had rented out the space for my party. I would be staying there for the night because it was going to be late by the time I went home so I wasn’t looking forward to it.

Kneeling on the floor I started to gather the wrapping paper in a plastic bag and chucked it in the bin.

 


 

Someone knocked on the door startling me. I went to the kitchen searching for a knife. Who knew I was here? Was it some crazy fans wanting to steal something of mine? Did they know about the birthday party?

Taking slow stretched steps I walked to the intercom and looked in. What was he doing here? Going to the door handle I opened it. Taemin looked exhausted. He was dressed in a white hoodie, black jacket; stone washed jeans and dark blue sneakers. In his arms was a large bouquet, the other hand held a present with a large group of balloons floating from it.

“Hello,” he said. “I didn’t forget your birthday.” Before I could send him away or greet him he handed me a large bouquet.

It was from his win tonight. Staring at them I quietly thanked him before placing them on the white coffee table in the middle of the living area.

“Sorry for coming so late,” he said after I had offered him a seat. Glancing at the clock I realised that it was five to midnight. It would soon be the end of my birthday. The only time I stayed up this late was for schedules. But the members had gone home pretty late.

I shook my head and changed the subject. “How did you…”

“Bomi mentioned it to me, just casually.” He answered giving a yawn. “I guess she didn’t expect me to show up.” He stood up. “But I had already gotten you a gift so I wanted to surprise you… That is; if you don’t kick me out of here.”

He presented me with the parcel and the balloons. “Please open it, before your birthday ends.” Accepting them with some mixed feelings I sat down on the couch with a space between us.

Watching me with his hands clenched together I teared off the paper, holding the ribbon in one hand afterwards so the balloons wouldn’t float away.

It was a canvas with a photograph printed on it. Staring at it I realised where it was from. We’d taken it when we had that filming in Hyeri. We looked as though we were about to kiss if the space between us was closed.

“Read the card,” he insisted appearing fidgety. “Before your birthday ends and it won’t matter.”

With two minutes left on the clock I opened the white envelope and looked at the card.

“To Naeun, have a happy birthday. You’re another year older and more beautiful. When I was your age I realised that I wanted you in my heart again to fill that space. I wonder if you felt that way about me despite my foolish ways…”

It was hard to read such a message. “Do your best and remember to take care of your health. My wish for you was to never be sick. I meant it when I said that. So please be careful and don’t drink too much or smoke a lot. I beg you to stay healthy, Lee Taemin.”

I lowered the card and watched him. “Thank you,” I told him gratefully. “It was really nice of you.”

“Ah,” he hit himself in the forehead. “I can’t believe it. I forgot to mention one last thing.”

“What is it?” I asked him. He gestured for me to pass him a balloon and I gave him a yellow one. Taking it tucked under his arm he fiddled with the knot in the end. He held it in his fingers before taking in some of the gas.

Now I remembered when we had played around with helium during filming for an episode. He lowered it and quickly spoke before he lost the gas.

“Naeun I… Wait a minute,” he took in a little bit more to continue. “Naeun, I still love you.”

 


 

Do we like this everyone? Thanks for all your support and enjoyment. I can’t believe I have over 120 subscribers for this story!