25. Taemin

Giddy

(OST- I Love you by Tim)

I couldn't believe it.

She was mine. After all that had happened, after my betrayals of her trust and her doubts in me she was standing here before me, telling me with all the love glimmering back in her eyes that she loved me.

It felt as though heaven had God tread on its rose garden and let the petals fall over us, a covering of love and devotion like the deep red blossom represented.

When the moment of pure exhilaration had passed I found myself staring down into her face. She was glowing like a star; my star.

“Naeun,” I said her name, my cheekbones almost coming away from my jaw. Everything inside me wanted to call it louder, tell the world that this was the woman I loved. I even wanted to kiss her again.

However, for her sake I held back. I placed my hands on her shoulders. “Naeun, I don’t know what to say… This is the happiest day of my life.”

She smirked as she said, “even happier than your debut?”

“Oh well its close,” I joked as we both laughed, the sound endearing like the chiming bells in a church. Smiling I lowered them so they were against her back. Slowly, with intension I pulled her towards me. She stood next to my chest, the perfect height. As her head rested against my shoulder I breathed in and out.

“I’ve decided… Today is the start of our new beginning. No more messing around with your feelings. No more lying, no more cowardly actions. Today Lee Taemin will spend his life working hard to be the man that you deserve. A man that will chase after your affections for the rest of his life even as he lies on his death bed and will cherish you with everything.”

She lifted her face up to me. “Do you mean…?”

Smiling I observed her face, her gentle eyes, long lips and petite nose hadn’t changed these past years. “Now we are going to be serious about our future together.”

Her face changed in the realisation of my words and she nodded, her gaze starting to shimmer. That was when I knew she was going to start crying. Pressing her head back into my shoulder I cradled it with the back of my hand, the skies now pale blue as the sun had finally risen.


Serious was a word that a lot of idols tend to never use when it comes to relationships. And it was the term I used when I explained to my parents that Naeun and I were together again and for good.

“You’re in a good mood,” Jonghyun hyung observed as we sat in the waiting room. We were about to go on stage for our SM Town show. It was his last appearance with us before he enlisted for the army.

I returned my phone to my pocket. “I suppose, we’re going to be on stage in front of people. To think that we came to Australia for a concert, I can’t wait to see the faces of our fans.”

He agreed although from his face I knew my answer shaded suspicion. “Don’t you believe me hyung?”

“Don’t believe what?” Key hyung decided to put away his IPod and join in the conversation.

Jonghyun looked at me and then turned to Key. “He’s been awfully happy. More than he was a month ago; any idea of why?”

It was now my turn to have the maroon hair, crescent moon earring head glances at me closely from the side. He then forced my mouth open as though he was a doctor. After his short examination I pulled away and he wiped his hands together as though they had been dirty.

“It’s weird, no smell of beer or chocolate.” A thought came to his mind and he then asked, “Are you seeing someone Taemin-ah?”

“Yes,” they both reeled to each other and shared the same wide eyed look. Before I could explain they made me sit down in the black leather couch.

“Taemin,” Jonghyun hyung began. “Do we know her?”

“Is she famous?”

“Yes and yes,” I said to them. “I could tell you who it is if you would give me the chance.” They peeled themselves off the arm rests of the chair and sat in front of me, hands in chin, waiting like children.

Taking a deep breath I ended their curiosity. “It’s Naeun,” I paused as their faces changed, confused and somewhat bewildered. “And no this will be the last time I get together with her. Because from one month, ago up until now we are no longer being like the kids we were when we once met. We are now in a serious relationship.”

They didn’t know how to respond at first. When they did Key hyung reached over and patted me on the leg. “Well… Good luck. It’s a big step you’re making.”

Jonghyun hyung nodded. “Yes, don’t mess it up, since you’re now thinking about your futures together.”

Relieved they weren’t displeased I smiled at them both. “Thank you, I won’t let her down.”


 

Four months into our picked up and restored relationship people were starting to notice a difference with me. I didn’t mind showing the Omega necklace which I wore religiously like my rosary ring and bracelet. My answers to questions on unscripted variety shows gave people the gut feeling that I was hiding something. Everyone in my friendship group and had given me different responses. Jongin was supportive as always and Junmyeon looked after me like he was my hyung. I was in good hands.

The company knew about us from month two and the words from my manager were. “As long as you don’t get caught, they do not mind. You’re at your peak of popularity again Taemin-ah. It would be a shame to lose it because of a relationship.”

I shook my head in a gentle manner. “It’s not just a relationship hyung. This time it’s for good. I’ve never been more in love with someone than I have been with her. I think that I want to—“

He raised a hand to silence the conversation. The door opened to a staff member. “We’re about to start filming in ten minutes.”

“Thank you,” I said to them as the door slowly closed. He breathed out in relief. “That was close, thanks hyung.”

He gave me a wary but encouraging smile. “Try not to think about her too much. The cameras will pick up on it better than you think.”

“I’ll do my best not to.”

On the show the MC’s asked the usual questions and I kept to the answers that had been provided by the company beforehand. “No I do not have a girlfriend at the moment but I wouldn’t mind to.”

However, call it male intuition for Kwanghee, a past member of ZE: A piped up with. “Don’t you find his answer a bit odd? I think he’s hiding something?”

The MC’s all stared at me. I smiled, somewhat nervous. Fortunately the lead of the show Yoo Jaesuk had my support.
“That’s how all male idols answer their questions these days so we can’t think anything of it.”

“If he had said boyfriend then we would be asking more questions.” This got the audience in hysterics along with the other MC’s. I was relieved to have some of the attention taken off me. I could relax and enjoy the rest of the filming.

Sitting in a café I dialled a number while I waited for my iced coffee to arrive. No one gave me a glance in the place because I was dressed in average clothes, had my hand with my rosary ring under the table so no one could recognise me by it and my hair was light red after dying it for an upcoming comeback.

After a few bars of the song, one of my title songs much to my embarrassment the person picked up. “Hello oppa?”

My whole body tingled in delight from the sound of her name. “What are you doing?”

“Just resting, I had a script reading for that movie I told you about.”

“That’s good, are you excited to play such a character?” I asked her.

There was a sound in the background. “Ah yes it is, I’m glad that I have such a great person giving me support.”

I nodded, “so your parents have spoken with you?”

She giggled over the line. “Not them, it’s you idiot.”

“Oh I see,” I said and then smiled, bashfully at her response. “I’m just glad that I can support such an amazing actress, singer and woman at the same time.” She giggled again and I chuckled in response. The drink came and I knew my manager would be there soon. “Well I’d better be off and let you continue to rest.”

“Alright oppa take care, love you.”

This made me grin madly. “I love you too… Marchella,” we’d grown used to using our Baptismal names for each other. It kept God in our relationship as well as giving us a unique nickname.

“Thanks for calling Francesco, bye.” Ending the call I picked up my coffee, had a sip through the straw before walking out to get picked up.

 

If only things could have remained constant like the sun setting and rising . As I answered the door to my manager I noticed a larger, almost seven foot man wearing sunglasses, a tight fitting t-shirt and jeans standing next to him.

“Morning hyung—umm who is this?”

“The company sent him with me.” He explained. I closed the door and followed him down to the van. “We need to talk.”

What did he want to talk about I wondered as we sat in the car, me in the passenger side at the front. Our guest was sitting in the seat directly behind mine. My manager handed me a newspaper with my picture on the front.

Everything in my body became stiff. Shocked and confused my hands started to shake as I looked closer. It wasn’t just my photo; it was also Naeun’s. That had been the night we’d caught up after I’d called her in the coffee shop.

The caption was straight to the point, ‘Lee Taemin and Son Naeun in a relationship?!’ I read the front page hit with a clammy heart. It told of how a fan had overheard me speaking to Naeun on the phone at the coffee shop. How we’d addressed each other by our Baptismal names which had been the biggest giveaway to the fan. Then there was also information about our date at a low key seafood restaurant and how we’d been seen leaving the restaurant at different times but still confirmed by the staff.

When I’d looked enough I dropped the papers onto the floor of the vehicle. Breathing slowly I found my tongue. “Hyung… I don’t know what to tell you.” I felt so sorry to him and I expected him to be reprimanding which he was.

“You were careless.” His words were blunt like a knife that would be used to serve my parts to my jealous fans on a platter. “The company is in frenzy. They don’t know whether to confirm the relationship or not. ACube has yet to respond so we’re waiting for them to contact us.”

Sitting there I clenched my hands together in my lap. Moving my head I looked back at the intimidating man who had his arms folded. It made sense. They knew about it before I did. He was here to protect me.

Swallowing hard, afraid I was going to lose my will to speak I asked my manager. “Hyung… W-what do I do?”

He must have felt sorry for me; his angered gaze mellowed slightly. Sighing he rubbed his eyebrows, a habit of his for when he was thinking. “I believe the company will want to deny the relationship. They’ll do it for the sake of its image and of your marketability. No one will be interested in a Taemin that’s taken.”

The words crushed my core and I felt like someone had something into my gut. Grabbing my phone I started to search in my contacts for a number. We pulled away from the curb; my next schedule was two hours away after seeing the hair dresser. “Taemin, what are you doing?”


With desperation and extreme anxiety I said to him, “what am I doing?! I’m doing the only thing I can do. I’m calling her. We need to meet and soon!”


Well it was good and then… How is the story now?